My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Yamaha F-130 Acoustic Guitar
  • Epiphone SG special edition Guitar
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
This feels pretty useless and silly to me... Why would you play a solo on a bass guitar, while it can be played just as well on a guitar. I mean, you tuned up the bass to sound like a guitar, so why don't you play it on guitar then?

I don't think bass solos should be like guitar solos. I think Cliff Burton's (referring to him because he influenced you) solos were pretty retarded to be honest. He was a decent player and all, but playing wank-like guitar solos on a bass is not done in my book...

A bass solo should utilise the possibilities the instrument has in the lower registers. It should also have specific bass techniques in it, like slapping and popping, anything to set it apart from a guitar solo... Use this kind of stuff when you write a bass solo.

To be really honest, I don't think bass players should solo at all (unless the song really needs it of course...). The bass has a specific and crucial role in a band, namely to hold the 'skeleton' of the music together and to provide a low end foundation for the other instruments to build on. In other words: a bassist shouldn't waste his time on playing solos...

I'm sorry to be this harsh, but I'm just giving you my opinion...

I'm almost afraid to ask, but would you crit my song?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091868
Last edited by saddam at Mar 26, 2009,
Well I respect your opinion on bass solo's because unlike some people you didn't just say they were bad and didn't explain why. Oh and I don't have Guitar Pro so I can't crit your song sorry!
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Yamaha F-130 Acoustic Guitar
  • Epiphone SG special edition Guitar
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
No problem

By the way, I never said it was bad! It's actually pretty well written. Bad versus good wasn't my point here...

grtz