do you think that having a vocalist that plays an instrument at the same time in a hardcore could take away from the band interacting with the audience? like, would it take away from our stage presence?
yeah it does, but its not a deal breaker. just because you have a guitar in your hands doesn't mean you can't be interesting to watch.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
If this is your first time playing, you might have a little trouble with stage presence.

Most of the time people find it more impressive when you sing and play an instrument.
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
well, im not the vocalist, but we have a vocalist/bassist. he's done it before in other bands though, but i wasnt sure if it would be any problems stage presence wise.
for hardcore, it seems kinda odd. onstage, hardcore vocalists have a tendency to move around, and even hang into the crowd. an instrument it makes it much harder to do so.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
he probably wont be singing 100 percent of every song. i mean hes still got a few breaks to do things. alot of punk bands have frontmen like this.
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
it's more difficult, but it can and is pulled off a lot... just don't stand there like half the local bands do. jump around and do stuff...
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I play bass and sing ... and usually jump around and run around like a maniac because the crowd gets a blast out of it for some reason.
Quote by guitarsftw
for hardcore, it seems kinda odd. onstage, hardcore vocalists have a tendency to move around, and even hang into the crowd. an instrument it makes it much harder to do so.

yeah, thats what i thought too. but he's a great bassist and a better vocalist.
^
If he has a wireless receiver and a wireless headset mic, there can be some really good crowd interaction.
It doesn't necessarily kill stage presence. Flogging Molly's lead singer plays a guitar most of the time and they have the most amazing stage presence and audience connection that I've ever seen. Depends on your style though.
For hardcore most vocalists should have their hands free to alter the sound of their scream (assuming were talking about the same kind of hardcore). A bass makes it harder to jump around into the crowd and interact like any other vocalist would be able to.
Quote by domino_92
I think hardcore2step has the right idea

Quote by civildp1
Yeah but God won't touch my penis. So it's like, what choice do I have but to turn to women?
go watch any live video of muse. matt bellamy manages to jump around all over the place.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Last edited by MetalMegaMan at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by MetalMegaMan
go watch any live video of muse. matt wembley manages to jump around all over the place.

wembley? playing at bellamy stadium?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Hendrix played Monterey over 40 years ago. You shouldn't even need to ask this question.

It sounds to me like he's clearly able to play and sing, which is no easy task to begin with. Why wouldn't you have him do it? If you're more worried about your stage presence than sound quality, maybe you should rethink what you're doing.

EDIT: If all else fails have him dress like a complete weirdo. It seems to work for Les Claypool.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by slashedaxl103
Never stopped James Hetfield.

Edit: Damn, beaten to it

Our thoughts were eerily similar.

I like it.
No, as long as they're good at both vocals and playing bass and can still interact with the crowd.
Extra note: Bands that worry too much about "stage presence" more often than not overlook the music and end up being ****ty.

By the way, I hate the phrase "stage presence". If you're on the stage, you're present. Good music = good show.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Last edited by Spoony_Bard at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by gunther_sucks
It never stopped James Hetfield....

it should have...

stupid plan didnt even work....
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by the humanity
wembley? playing at bellamy stadium?

retard moment there. i just got finished watching that dvd
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by gunther_sucks

umm.....and James Hetfield actually deserves to be mentioned? since when did this happen???
From experience as an audience member, bands are always more fun to watch when the lead singer doesnt play an instrument. Im not saying anything about sound quality or musicianship, strictly the fun of watching the performance.

If this is your situation, however, i suggest you pick up the slack and move around extra for the lack of your vocalist doing so. If you guys are going nuts, it should be cool even if ure singer is rooted to a spot cause of his mic.
Quote by pengiunman
Hahaha you crack me up swansareroadkil.

:can't think of a smiley to put, your too cool:
I definitely enjoy seeing bands with a singer without an instrument, because as you said, it definitely provides for much better interaction with the audience.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
Quote by gunther_sucks

YEAH!
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
^ he's not PLAYING the guitar! similar to Lil Wayne!

James Hetfield = Lil Wayne????????

what?
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...