Okay, so this is about my amp. Its a Crate RFX 65 watt amp, got it about 3 years ago. And i have to say, its a great amp, Loud, lots of distortion, great effects, the works..and it looks cool to boot. So i wanna say about maybe...9 months ago it started doing something really REALLY weird. I'll turn it on, it'll play fine for about 30 seconds...depends on how it feels i guess, then it'll go quiet...from loud normal sounding to quiet. Now, it will still play, but i have to turn the volume pretty much all the way up to hear it...everything still works, the effect and all the channels...just ALOT quieter..i wanna say like 10x quieter...but!!!!! thats not the only thing...I'll be playin minding my own business, and BAM back to normal, MIND YOU it'l be up almost as high as it can go, so when it goes back to normal sounding...it goes from like lalala to LALALLALALA and scares the hell out of me. basically if you were to turn your amp as low as it can go and still be able to hear it...and you just take your volume knob and turn it all the way up in second thats what its like...and then it'll go quiet again...or it'll be a good amp and stay normal for a little bit.. But yea, i don't think its the fuse cause i wouldn't hear anything, opend up the back everything looks fine to me. I haven't read anything like this on the net ANYWHERE so i'm at a loss..i've delt with it cause its my only amp, and i can't afford a new one..and it still does kinda work but i can't really jam with anyone. Its a really weird problem, sometimes it'll flicker on a off and wont play for a little bit unless i like turn it on and off a couple times..i could go play it now and it might actually work for a bit but I dunno..I've took pretty good care of it, haven't droped it ever and i keep it coverd up when i'm not playing on it..so ANY IDEA'S? hahah!
Speakers maybe?
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
probably a cracked solder joint somewhere (most likely on the ground side of a gain/volume pot)...they do that whole intermittant thing. Vibration and heat can cause them to open up and close whenever they want.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
So i should take a look at the solding area's around the volume and gain knobs then. Perhaps resolder it or??
Quote by BigBagBill
So i should take a look at the solding area's around the volume and gain knobs then. Perhaps resolder it or??

Yeah....basically, remelt the solder w/ your iron, add solder to any joint that seems suspect (lacking solder, is discolored, etc)....
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Most likely it's the input jack of the amp, your guitar cable, or the guitar itself. Also, make sure your speakers have solid connections on them.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
It could be a pot, could be a solder joint, it could be a transistor or IC doing it. Its why SS stuff is such a pain to fix.
Quote by zeek7pc
Most likely it's the input jack of the amp, your guitar cable, or the guitar itself. Also, make sure your speakers have solid connections on them.

I"ve tryed different guitars and guitar cables, i think i might be the imput jack cause of what it did the other night wiggled it around some and it started clickin on and off but messed around with it last night didn't really see anything wrong...but i'll keep messin around with it.
Quote by BigBagBill
I"ve tryed different guitars and guitar cables, i think i might be the imput jack cause of what it did the other night wiggled it around some and it started clickin on and off but messed around with it last night didn't really see anything wrong...but i'll keep messin around with it.

I've seen this problem before. The input jack will be soldered directly to the printed circuit board, and have several pins coming off the jack. If one of those has worked loose from plugging in/out of the input cable, it will be very hard to see but very noticible to the electronic circuits. The input jack is a cheaply made plastic piece of crap, and can malfunction without any due cause. There less than 10 bucks for an exact replacement and anyone with good soldering/de-soldering skills could replace it in 30 mins.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Last edited by zeek7pc at Mar 27, 2009,