Ok, jazz band tryouts are coming up really soon, and I need to find a good song to try out with. If you had personal experience, please tell me some tips and advices I've played for a little more than a year, but if it's just anything not too crazy, I'll be able to manage with 24/7 practicing.. hopefully.

So yeah, suggest me some nice jazz songs please.
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

you never know what could happen
Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7
it's cause you forgot to put in an extra hammer-on

MUSE FAN?!!
Giant Steps.

lol, naw, what is this, like a high school thing or for a jazz band?
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Yeah it's for highschool. But I've seen the jazz band perform at times in the auditorium and they're really good. Can you point out some of eric clapton for me? I'm really new to jazz and I have no idea which song your talking about..
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7

MUSE FAN?!!
hmmmm "Sunshine of Your Love" is the first that comes to mind.

Actually thats a good one, its got a simple-ish solo, one of the first I ever learned.
I'm FAT!
lol.

Giant Steps - John Coltrane http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kotK9FNEYU

But that is probably too difficult... How about a 12-bar Blues?

Blue Monk - Thelonious Monk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmhP1RgbrrY

Straight, No Chaser (I have no clue who wrote it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxX0-OaI5j0

Or maybe some Bird (Charlie Parker):

Scrapple From the Apple http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSu-6TH2ntw

Ornithology http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr2-sOiagNg

Quote by tatatotfolife
hmmmm "Sunshine of Your Love" is the first that comes to mind.

Actually thats a good one, its got a simple-ish solo, one of the first I ever learned.

That's not Jazz, that's sort of Blues (which is not bad in Jazz) or maybe a little rockish. If you're trying out for Jazz, play and listen to Jazz.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Last edited by SilverDark at Mar 26, 2009,
Thanks for the suggestions. As of right now, I'd definaitely go with Scrapple From the Apple. Seems like it'll be a challenge for me, but I think I'll be able to do it. But SiverDark, aside from that song I haven't been able to look at the other songs because I couldn't find a guitar solo version of it..

Well more suggestions appreciated. So anywhere along the difficulty of "Scrapple From the Apple" is good
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

Quote by happytimeharry

Quote by sacred_silence7

MUSE FAN?!!
Quote by 1337guitarplayr
I haven't been able to look at the other songs because I couldn't find a guitar solo version of it..

Couldn't find a guitar solo version? Whatcha mean?
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Yeah...a blues would probably be easiest.

Mr. PC - Coltrane
Equinox - Coltrane
All Blues - Miles Davis

Or something like Solar by Miles Davis...Tune Up is also pretty simple.

They're all 12 bars (except for Tune Up, which is 16) so memorizing the changes should be easy. You can spend more time working on your improv!
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Actually I found the solos, except the ornithology one, but I'm not really interested.. Well do you know more catchy ones like Scrapple ? I really like it, but it could be slightly easier
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

Quote by happytimeharry

Quote by sacred_silence7

MUSE FAN?!!
Quote by 1337guitarplayr
Actually I found the solos, except the ornithology one, but I'm not really interested.. Well do you know more catchy ones like Scrapple ? I really like it, but it could be slightly easier

Well, jazz is by nature an genre where they explore things that are not basic. So most stuff is "hard" by nature, because of the odd tones and constant switching through the chords.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
theres a good arrangement (solo guitar) for the song darn that dream by jimmy van hausen. I think the arrangement is by Barry Gailbrath. Perhaps play that and a faster medium/up-swing tune like Solar (miles davis), Take the A train (Strayhorn), Blue Monk (Monk) or something to that effect.
EDIT:
if your new to jazz, its a TERRIBLE idea to play a bird tune, due to the technical difficulty of the head, the intense tempo and the fact that your measuring yourself up to one of the people who revolutionized jazz. Most songs by charlie parker are also decently difficult to solo over (if only due to fast tempo); incredibly difficult if your inexperienced with jazz (not used to playing changes).
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Mar 26, 2009,
Just figure out how to comp in a big band context. Check out Freddie Greene as soon as possible because you'll be doing what that man did all the time in the Count Basie Band except when you play charts that are funk, rock, or latin, or ballads. I recommend applying his comping method to a nice easy and swinging blues, play an easy blues head like blues in the closet maybe, and take a solo and try and nail some chord tones.
12 fret fury
Quote by Punk Poser
Just figure out how to comp in a big band context. Check out Freddie Greene as soon as possible because you'll be doing what that man did all the time in the Count Basie Band except when you play charts that are funk, rock, or latin, or ballads. I recommend applying his comping method to a nice easy and swinging blues, play an easy blues head like blues in the closet maybe, and take a solo and try and nail some chord tones.

This guy is the winner

I'm guessing the jazz band your talking about is more of a big band then a combo right? You really need to be able to hold down the rhythm of whatever groove they have going and be able to read off charts easily. This site will help you hear and practice the big band rhythm style:

http://www.freddiegreen.org/index.html

To practice reading charts, I recommend getting a real book and just running through chord progressions.

That's pretty much it. Big band stuff is pretty much straight forward for the most part and doesn't really take that much background. Just remember to know your basic chord shapes, be able to read charts, and hold the rhythm down. Now if it is just a small school combo, then you might be in trouble if you don't know a lot about jazz.