I'm looking for a guitar mainly suited for metal and shredding in general. I've been looking around and I really like some of the LTD/ESP's and Ibanez, I'm open to others though. I'm looking to spend $600-$800, less if need be but not more. Any advice?

And what are your opinions on buying a used guitar?
Quote by DeadByDawn87
I'm looking for a guitar mainly suited for metal and shredding in general. I've been looking around and I really like some of the LTD/ESP's and Ibanez, I'm open to others though. I'm looking to spend $600-$800, less if need be but not more. Any advice?

And what are your opinions on buying a used guitar?

I highly recommend a Ibanex iceman ict700, look up youtube videos of it to hear it, AND SEE it in action, I personally love it and can't wait to get one. As for used, as long as they play fine they are good to me, and I also don't like to many scratches but IMO I would only buy used if you can see it your physically play it.
ESP/LTD's are cheap **** guitars, the only ones worth buying are the really good ones otherwise they break easily. Check out the S or the RG from Ibanez, that or a jackson of some sort.
Quote by enselmis
ESP/LTD's are cheap **** guitars, the only ones worth buying are the really good ones otherwise they break easily. Check out the S or the RG from Ibanez, that or a jackson of some sort.

is this statement based off of anything? i have the cheapest m series you can get, and ive had it for 5 years. i keep it in c standard tuning and its in great shape and it sounds great. Unlike this idiot, id highly reccoment Ltds to anyone looking for a great midleve price range guitar. not some bland jackson peice of junk. seriosly, talk about the worst guitars you can buy. right up there with shecters and bc rich.
Thanks for all the quick replies, I didn't expect that. Can anyone give me some advice on what the main differences between the Ibanez S and RG series are?

Any certain Jackson or LTD guitars you would recommend?

And I checked out the Ibanez Iceman ict700, I hadn't heard of it before but it's a pretty sick guitar, thanks for the recommendation.

By the way, I've definitely gotta have the locking trem.
Last edited by DeadByDawn87 at Mar 26, 2009,
The RG's are mainly basswood. Very smooth and crunchy and very light. They come with traditional knife-edge tremolos. The S's are mahogany but very thin. It's also light, and it affects tone. It doesn't sound like a mahogany guitar. It comes with ball-bearing tremolos. I personally think the 2 sound very similar. S's usually cost more. But you can get a prestige RG in your price range. Deals like this don't come around often so you should take advantage of it.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2570Z-Electric-Guitar?sku=518082
So the Ibanez fanboys have already arrived, brand bashing has already begun now all we need are some Schecter fans to give in their 2 cents about what they think is best.

Here's an idea, go to your nearest music store and play some guitars that you like and decide that way, after all its you whos gonna pay for it and play it. Opinions vary, as do personal tastes, find your own. Try a bunch and get an idea for what you like.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
That's funny, I found that deal about 5 minutes before you posted that and I'm really considering that guitar. Thanks for the help and recommendation man, I couldn't figure out the main difference in the S and RG series.

The guitar is an Ibanez RG2570Z. Does anyone have any experience with this guitar or have any recommendations for or against it?
I've tried a few different guitars, but unfortunately there isn't a very good guitar selection around here. There are plenty of Gibson's and Fender's, a few Ibanez and Jackson. LTD coming soon. I've got a friend with a Jackson Dinky and a lower end Ibanez RG, and I like the feel of both. The Ibanez neck feels better, though it's a hard decision between those two. I haven't had the chance to play an LTD yet, and don't feel like waiting two more months for them to have some in stock. So that's my situation, and the reason I lean more to Ibanez or Jackson... but I'm open to anyone's opinions and ideas.
S body's are pretty thin. They're made of mahogany but to me they are too thin, personal opinion. RG bodies are your typical Super Strat nothing too radical about them
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
So the Ibanez fanboys have already arrived, brand bashing has already begun now all we need are some Schecter fans to give in their 2 cents about what they think is best.

Here's an idea, go to your nearest music store and play some guitars that you like and decide that way, after all its you whos gonna pay for it and play it. Opinions vary, as do personal tastes, find your own. Try a bunch and get an idea for what you like.

I'm with DSOTM80, you're never going to know what's best for you until you pick them up and try them - go to your local store, bug the staff and plug them in and play. In fact, play it a couple of times. Personally, I'm an Ibanez fan through and through, but I always try everything I can, even when I'm not in the market for a guitar. As long as you don't play Stairway or turn it up too loud, it will be ok!

If you are really passionate, get someone to blind fold you and play a good 5 guitars from different brands, necks, 22vs24 frets, different wood etc. Then pick what you want - most people would be surprised what you end up with....

That said, damn that Prestige RG is cheap, you could do a lot worse with the money you have......
I have the RG2550Z (same thing with a pickguard and different color). I got it on sale for $800 (originally $1000) and I think it's the best deal. It comes with an excellent neck, great trem (so far), very smooth tone. Another interesting tidbit about it is that the case itself would probably cost more than $150 itself. If you like the feel of Ibanez necks, you're in for a treat. I say you should jump on it because a comparable model this year is $1500 albeit with a different neck and better pickups. Go for it, you'll be happy, if not, return it.