Ok I just got done painting my guitar it looks great I cleared it sanded it to 12000grit and buffed it, but theres still scratches in the clear coat from sanding i dont get it 12000grit scratches???? any words of wisdom anyone
Life's A Garden Digg It
-Joe Dirt
Quote by littlephil
Buff it.

Quote by WyldeMan666
buffed it

Buff it again.

Quote by WyldeMan666
12000grit scratches????

Yes, sandpaper is designed to scratch WULD U BELEVE
Last edited by Roast Beef at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by savage94
try using 1000 grit and r u wet sanding?

Yes because making it more rough always makes sense when your trying to get it smooth.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Yes because making it more rough always makes sense when your trying to get it smooth.

yeah this makes perfect sense, you probably have scratches from previous sanding. or a crappy finish job, so a 12000 gritt wont be able to get out the deep ones, so you have to go rougher first to flatten everything. then go finer to smooth it all out again.
Yeah it sounds like you didn't complete an earlier step all the way.
The scratches are probably from 220 and you missed them when you hit it with 320 or 400, and higher grits just didn't bring the finish down that far, so now they look nice and obvious from the 12000 and buffing.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Last edited by Rebelw/outaCord at Mar 26, 2009,
But the paper I started with was 1500grit Its micromesh i used everystage but whatever ill do it again see how it goes but besides the tiny scratches it looks great best finish I ever did
Life's A Garden Digg It
-Joe Dirt
Quote by WyldeMan666
But the paper I started with was 1500grit Its micromesh i used everystage but whatever ill do it again see how it goes but besides the tiny scratches it looks great best finish I ever did

That is your problem then.

It is quite likely, that if you missed this simple detail, that you missed others, such as getting the body straight when it was still in Primer.

Wet sanding should start with P600, then up from there, assuming you did all the previous bit right, which you very likely didn't as very few people actually know how to paint something the RIGHT way, and usually think it's pretty easy.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Mar 26, 2009,
Starting with 1500 grit was your problem.

I start wet sanding with 400, but I use rub on poly. Assuming you did spray on, start with 600, as Skeet said. Then I'd go up to 1000, then you can start with your 1500.

And honestly, assuming that your starting with medium cut buff you probably don't have to buff it up past 1500. But do what you want, it probably wont hurt as long as you do the previous stages correctly.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by WyldeMan666
no no no i didnt sand the primer with 1500 Im not that stupid come on

Yes, I know. I didn't say you had started sanding the Primer with 1500.
What I said was, you probably missed details, such as getting the body straight when it was still in Primer.
Meaning, if you had used things like Guide Coats, correct sanding procedure (X Sanding), and so on, then there would be no scratches or dents, before you even applied the colour coats.

Quote by WyldeMan666
i started sanding the final clear coat with it

OK. Well you shouldn't have. Define "Final Clear Coat"? Did you use a Flow Coat? I imagine not, if you were using spray cans.

Quote by WyldeMan666
plus i'll have you know ive painted lots of guitars that turned out great dont assume you can judge my ability without seeing my work skeet uk,

That's great and I am glad you have done work you are proud of. I have painted more than one or two guitars, rifles, shotguns, crash helmets, motorcycles and the odd car, with the finest painting system in the world.
So, I can judge your ability without seeing your work, because if you knew what I know, then you would know how the scratch got there, where you had made the mistake and wouldn't have posted it up on here. Or did you just feel like telling us all that you had screwed up?

Quote by WyldeMan666
plus your probably not familiar with micromesh sand paper its the final word on sandpaper period,

It may come as a surprise to you, but I am aware of Micro Mesh and I agree that it is very useful. Are you aware of the difference between FEPA and CAMI?

Quote by WyldeMan666
the only reason I asked at all was I never had this happen before so if your gonna leave smart-assed comments your inputs not welcome

It may have happened before, but perhaps not so noticeably. The colour and depth of the scratch, not to mention if it is a V or a rounded scratch, will all contribute to it's visibility.
My comment was not "Smart-Assed". It was factual and from a position of knowledge. The "very few people know how to paint something the RIGHT way" part, was actually intended to reassure you that you shouldn't feel too bad, because painting isn't as easy as many people seem to think.

Quote by WyldeMan666
----plus before you come out with the dont start with 1500 on the clear coat read up on micro-mesh, and with the rant behind me I did sand the primer with 400grit the the scratches didnt appear until I sanded out the orange peel

Yep, done that. It's reusable sand paper, that is nice and flexible, doesn't wear as easily and comes in very high grits.
Doesn't say anywhere that 1500 Grit, will remove 400 Grit scratches though. I wonder why that might be? 'Coz it won't. Not before you have worn out your arm and the Micro Mesh and your finish.

Did you read the bit about keeping the Micro Mesh clean?
IF, the scratch is indeed in the clear coat and not in the Primer/basecoat, then it is likely that you picked up some grit or something on the Mesh and scratched the finish.

If it is below the clear coat, then by removing the orange peel, you have made the surface below more visible by allowing more light through, so that light is then reflecting back off of the scratch, making it visible.

I don't tend to make Smart-Assed comments very often and I won't now. Normally I will just give you my opinion or call you a retard or similar. Not going to call you a retard though.

What I will say, is that you should try not to take offence if someone points out a possible problem. You came here for advice, like many others (myself included), because you don't know everything. You should also try to remember, that while many of the users are teenagers, others (like myself) have teenage kids and with age, comes experience and usually, wisdom.

You asked for "words of wisdom" and you got them. Now all you have to do, is be man enough to accept them.

So take another look at your finish and try and decide at what point the scratch got there, so you will know for next time.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Apr 1, 2009,
ok whatever this was my progression of sand paper 400,600,800,1000-then 1500 micromesh-12000 it was very clean infact brand new I wet sanded with all of it I know about the differant sand paper types I have been painting for 8years for your info I guess If your from america you must half-ass everything right skeet uk the body has no dents or scratches its a brand new body and the scratchs only in the clear coat im sure because I didnt sand the color"yes I spell Color right" and further more I followed that sticky on this website to a tee so....... this one wasent even my method fully

basically it looks like its been used for a little bit like buckle rash I guess, Im not gonna says Im the best painter ever and I have stuff to learn but I put more work and effort than You think
Life's A Garden Digg It
-Joe Dirt
Last edited by WyldeMan666 at Apr 3, 2009,