Page 1 of 2
I'm approaching the end of my last year of high school at the moment. Have been totally pumped for uni; no more amazingly stupid people, interesting subjects etc. But I've started wondering, will it be as good as my ol' Dad says? (It was free for him then - Gough Whitlam - so everyone who was anyone was there)

1) Uni experience good or bad?

2) Why
An entire minority group died in the forging of this post.
I really haven't enjoyed my university experience at all. Oh well.
What are you doing at uni. Sorry for offtopic bro.
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
I have to say that there are stupid people everywhere, no matter where you go.

But on topic, it's a great experience. There's always something interesting happening and you have freedom.
"Perception of Balance " - My album.

"Run away from the ending road, the desolate cold, and the broken home."
I've had a good uni experience so far. Made a lot of new friends, more freedom etc etc. Heaps of keen chics at uni too
2002 Epiphone Goth G400 SG
B.C. Rich Warlock custom
1986 Washburn RR2 Flying V
1991 Peavey Falcon II Stratocaster
For the record I love it life at uni (college overseas) is awesome... that said its as fun as you want it to be
at first, sucked really bad. worst time of my life. mostly due to girl problems and **** load of work from engineering that i wasn't prepared for. fuk it, got through that.

after a while, i really like it. lots more peolpe like you that you can relate to, more diverse basically.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
I'm actually bored as hell here in college, though honestly I think I can blame it on not fitting in very well here in Austin
I fit in great back in the SA area, but around here, I'm kinda stand-out-ish
Most people are the "sporty, preppy" type,
no room for the scene kid....
College is awesome. It is awesome because you meet the craziest most awesome people and spend four years getting hammered and doing ridiculous **** with them.
Remember when you were young
You shone like the sun...
Quote by SteveBeginner
What are you doing at uni. Sorry for offtopic bro.

No worries man, I'm doing an Arts Degree - Major in Anthropology, Minor in Philosophy.

Quote by Mad-Season
Heaps of keen chics at uni too

Haha yeah, looking foward to some intelligent sex
I think I would enjoy it much more if I moved to a different city. Also, you'll find there is a decent amount of stupid people in post secondary as well.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by Connah
at first, sucked really bad. worst time of my life. mostly due to girl problems and **** load of work from engineering that i wasn't prepared for. fuk it, got through that.

after a while, i really like it. lots more peolpe like you that you can relate to, more diverse basically.

There's your problem. I wanted to be an engineer once, then I realized I actually wanted to enjoy my life rather than selling my soul for potential job security.

College is infinitely better than high school in my opinion. I met my best friends in the dorms, drank and smoked for the first times and have had a chance to explore my interests within classes. The only thing I miss from high school is the connection I got to people being in plays and other activities. I go to a big (understated) university so plays and such are pretty hard to get into and a major time commitment.

Eventually, you'll have to deal with real world responsibility too, which while daunting can be really refreshing as well.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Uni is a total ****ing chore... If you don't really like or love what you're studying.

It's a relaxing, awesome and exciting experience if you are 100% into what you study.

I have been having fun for 2 years, and will continue to for another 2 years because I lived and breathed Music and Sound prior to uni. Now I study Music/Sound Engineering, Production and Design at uni and it could not be more comfortable. I get along with everyone, we all hang out and get pissed every Friday at the Uni Bar .

My assessment isn't like it was in high school, where I would have asked to write a 2,000 word essay on something I don't care about. I get to sit in a multi-million dollar facility and create my art. There are still essays, but they're about the orchestration of natural sound, OR the better example is my last paper from last year was about Hendrix and psychedelia, oh yes.

My point being, if you love what you study, you'll love uni. If you don't, you'll fail...HARD.

I know guys who love law, and do great in law. I know guys who love concerts, so do great in even management. I know guys who love numbers and do great in accounting.

It's all about your interest in the subject area. This explains the nearly 50% drop-out rate in university courses within the first year.

Oh and one more thing, there will still be plenty of stupid people, you don't have to be a genius to study these days .
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by Shredder XXX
My point being, if you love what you study, you'll love uni. If you don't, you'll fail...HARD.

Yeah I kinda get that vibe. I know some people who busted their arse's to get into medicine, and now hate uni with a passion. That's why I gave up on the idea of Law a long time ago. I'm gonna go do what I love.

EDUEDIT: And damn on the stupid people I vote yes for purging idiocy.
Last edited by hans testiclees at Mar 26, 2009,
I like it a lot, but I am missing out somewhat because I live at home. Nonetheless, it is what you make of it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
REAL LESSON IN UNI LIFE RIGHT HERE!

1. Learn how to talk to women
2. TAKE EASIEST ELECTIVES POSSIBLE TO RAISE GPA. WHO CARES IF PHILOSOPHY IS AN INTERESTING CLASS. IN THE LONG RUN, AN "A" in SPEECH/LEADERSHIP IS BETTER THAN A "C" IN PHILOSOPHY
3. Study hard, play hard
Quote by snipelfritz
There's your problem. I wanted to be an engineer once, then I realized I actually wanted to enjoy my life rather than selling my soul for potential job security.

heh, happily sitting in computer science now instead of crappy software engineering . i hated builidng ciruits and measuring capactitance and stuff like, bleh, i wanted to program.

i guess i was more forced into engineering by my parents for that reason, job security. but seeing my engineering friends' work load makes me feel sorry for them. and it's not like the work is easy either. one of my friends is an excellent guitar player, one of the best locally imo and he barely has time to play anymore.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Like most things in life, there are positives and negatives. I think the positives out weigh the negatives though in this case. You definitely will have fun. If you get a crappy roommate.. it will suck for awhile but then you'll look back at it when you don't live together and make fun of them. And don't be stupid about partying. Don't be one of those kids that takes a semester off or drops out due to drugs or drinking too much. But best of luck to ya, make the most of it
Stop b*tching ; start a revolution
Quote by Shredder XXX
Uni is a total ****ing chore... If you don't really like or love what you're studying.

Another good point. I don't think you necessarily need to know what you want to do from the start though. Having changed my major from communications to journalism back to communications w/ a second major in political science, I can tell you that taking as many courses as you can in different fields can be a really good and help you figure out what you want to do. The only classes I've ever hated were one's I had to take as general requirements (French Anthropology ), but even some of those I've enjoyed; Often times it depends on the professor.

That isn't to say that it isn't stressful. You'll have way more free time that high school and will have to learn time management skills quickly.
its been good, just obviously isn't everything you really hope for

i mean sure you get drunk almost every night for cheap,
and there is a lot of fanny

that said i never have money for food
or nice things

that said i think its good that students live in squalor, gives middle class kids a bit of perspective, you unless daddy is giving them f*ck loads of money while theyre there
It is what you make it. It's as simple as that.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
I was telling someone here not too long ago how the two (high school versus uni) are like night and day. Sure you'll encounter people you won't like, but you're not forced to be around said people in the same capacity as in high school. Yes it's what you make it, but I had a FAR easier time making it a great experience in uni.

Study hard, party responsibly (but still act a fool) and always remember...if you see a drunk girl with a really short skirt, no panties, a huge pair of ugg boots and a face you could cut a roast on: STAY AWAY. I'm pretty sure that chick just cruises around to different schools and I'm also pretty sure she's infected (yes I do believe she might end up in the land down under). Bitch is crazy.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by snipelfritz

Hehe - I am doing engineering and enjoying my life (and studies too). You just have to balance your **** out.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by imthehitcher
its been good, just obviously isn't everything you really hope for

i mean sure you get drunk almost every night for cheap,
and there is a lot of fanny

that said i never have money for food
or nice things

that said i think its good that students live in squalor, gives middle class kids a bit of perspective, you unless daddy is giving them f*ck loads of money while theyre there

With this in mind don't spend all your money on weed. Otherwise you'll have 4 dollars and no clue how to pay your rent in a week.
I'm not a college kid, I loath the university life. I hate how everybody around me is irresponsible and just looks for the next time they can get drunk.

blahblahblah
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by snipelfritz
With this in mind don't spend all your money on weed. Otherwise you'll have 4 dollars and no clue how to pay your rent in a week.

with this in mind,

find a good dealer in fresher's week!
It's what you make of it, dude. I never got involved and I pretty much never have fun. It's nice being away from home though. I can stay up all night and play PS3 and curse at the top of my lungs without worrying about waking anyone up.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by hans testiclees
I'm approaching the end of my last year of high school at the moment. Have been totally pumped for uni; no more amazingly stupid people, interesting subjects etc. But I've started wondering, will it be as good as my ol' Dad says? (It was free for him then - Gough Whitlam - so everyone who was anyone was there)

1) Uni experience good or bad?

2) Why

If anything they get stupider.
this is my uni http://www.odt.co.nz/on-campus/university-otago/44998/students039-toga-parade-turns-ugly
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Hmm, some mixed answers, sounds great though. Most posts have pretty much reassured me, it sounds like my kinda place all over

Quote by snipelfritz
With this in mind don't spend all your money on weed

And cmon, I'm doing Anthropology/Philisophy. Weed is pretty much on the tuition fee's
Quote by hans testiclees

And cmon, I'm doing Anthropology/Philisophy. Weed is pretty much on the tuition fee's

What do you plan to do with that?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
What do you plan to do with that?

Tbh, I'm either going to stay at Uni and become a lecturer, or travel the world studying cultures, generally experiencing everything I can fit into our short lifespans. I don't think I'm cut out for 80-90 years of social roleplay.
Quote by hans testiclees
Tbh, I'm either going to stay at Uni and become a lecturer, or travel the world studying cultures, generally experiencing everything I can fit into our short lifespans. I don't think I'm cut out for 80-90 years of social roleplay.

Sounds excellent and kickass, Sir Testiclees.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by hans testiclees

Anthropology sounds fun. My anthropology professor has been all over the place, he's a cool guy.

By the way, your username, user title, avatar, and sig all crack me up.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
I don't like Uni at all (but that's because I seem to hate everything).

I'm sure staying on campus would be fun.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
1. college experience for me is awesome so far, I've met so many people and its been so diverse as well. Unfortunately, you're still gonna meet a lot of idiots and weirdos but hey thats life so deal wit it -_-
Quote by SteveHouse
Sounds excellent and kickass, Sir Testiclees.

Lets hope so

Quote by Spoony_Bard
By the way, your username, user title, avatar, and sig all crack me up.

thanks Spoon. THAT close to being added to said sig, that close.
I'm at a University right now, on the wireless internet on 16th floor of my dorm. Here's how it is:

1) You will HATE college if you aren't good at socializing and you don't love what you're studying

2) It's very hard to maintain good grades and do ANYTHING else.

3) Room mates can be such ASSHOLES. I'm on my 3rd room mate and he turns my alarm clock off while I'm sleeping, and I wake up late for class. Besides beating the hell out of him and getting kicked out, there's nothing I can do about it. Horrible guy, I hate him.

But most importantly, college can be a lot of fun. I haven't made any close friends here that I would actually hang out with after college, but you will make a ton of acquaintances and you will be able to get into parties and do crazy stuff all of the time. I honestly just hope I can do great in college and get out. I wanna have fun but there's simply too much homework (for me, anyway)
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Quote by meta1militia
I haven't made any close friends here that I would actually hang out with after college, but you will make a ton of acquaintances and you will be able to get into parties and do crazy stuff all of the time. I honestly just hope I can do great in college and get out.

This is exactly what I think. Spot on.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Page 1 of 2