This is the exact opposite of this topic. (Sorta.) LOL:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091990

Anyway Drac & Friends Part I arranged by Antoine Dufour (originally by Don Ross) is probably one of Dufour's easiest songs (at least that's my opinion). I can go through the song fine except there's this one part of the song that bugs me. Here's a link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu0FjmcJva8
Around 0:36-0:37 Dufour does what I think is a harmonic on somewhere near the second or third fret on the A string to make an almost metal screeching noise. I've seen something similar to this done on electric guitars plenty of times, but I never really knew what the term for it was. What I'm wondering is if this technique that Dufour uses is the same as the electric guitar. More importantly, what is the technique called and how do you do it? Contributing responses will be appreciated! Thanks a bunch!
I don't believe it's the same technique that you use on electric guitar. I could be mistaken, but he's just pulling the 3rd fret.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
I don't believe it's the same technique that you use on electric guitar. I could be mistaken, but he's just pulling the 3rd fret.

He's pulling it alright, but it's still making a harmonic screeching noise. I can kind of get the noise if I basically do a harmonic on the string, but when I pull it obviously the harmonic dies and I become a sad, not-Antoine-Dufour-like man.
I dont believe he did it on purpose. The reason it happened is just the way he happened to strike the string and pull at the same time, with his finger at the right spot on the string. Ive been able to replicate that sound when playing it totally by accident as well, it just sort of happens when you least expect it and aren't trying to do it.

I mean, you could always try to do a "squeel" or "pinch harmonic" like electric guitarists, but it's not really worth putting in the practice time to achieve that little noise. Just keep playing it, the sound will most likely occur, like I said, when you least expect it.
If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, the place to focus is on your picking hand. The fretting hand is just doing a hard pull-off/bend, it's the picking hand that makes or breaks whether or not you get that distinctive sound I think you are talking about. It's just a matter of practicing and messing around until you get a good feel of the amount of pressure to use when you're plucking the string. This can also vary depending on guitar, string gauge, and action. Once you get a good feel for it on one guitar, it's like second nature on any guitar after that though. As a starting point, your picking hand uses a much more aggressive attack. Your plucking motion will be sort of pulling the string up almost like you are trying to stretch out new strings.

Or maybe I completely missed exactly what you are talking about

The other thing that I hear that I think you might be referring to is just a missed/muffled harmonic. Nobody's perfect
Its a non hard song... but if you are still interested... a can make that sonud by fingerin the third fret in tkickest string and with the rigt hand playing an harmonic in 12th fret, then you bend the string... hope its useful...
It's just a bent pinch harmonic. He does a better one at 1:23.

Edit: Here. This electric guy can show you how it's done. Getting it to sound on an acoustic is a little more challenging.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by eddy3dc
Its a non hard song... but if you are still interested... a can make that sonud by fingerin the third fret in tkickest string and with the rigt hand playing an harmonic in 12th fret, then you bend the string... hope its useful...

I should hope he's learned how to do it by now, it's been 9 months. Old thread. Watch your dates man.