Whenever I do my sweeps, once I let my finger off the string to play the next string, I seem to let my finger off too hard, and it'll sound like a slight pull off to an open note.

Any recommendations on how to mute the string? or am I doing this wrong?
I usually use the side of my fingers to mute any forthcoming strings going one way and any strings I just played I snag with my palm going the other.
This takes a bit of practice but yeah, you kind of slide your finger off. Almost in the shape of a canoe. You hit the note with one angle, and then your finger in a canoe shape off, so you're muting it on your way off. Practice!
You might need to refine your technique a little - don't pull off so hard.

That being said, I sometimes mute the open strings with my pick hand palm.
Whenever I do my sweeps, once I let my finger off the string to play the next string, I seem to let my finger off too hard, and it'll sound like a slight pull off to an open note.

Any recommendations on how to mute the string? or am I doing this wrong?

You're doing it right, but do it slower and more carefully. The trick is to relax your finger, not lift it (unless of course you need it right away). Check my muting unwanted noise vid if you haven't already, there's a few more tricks available.
since this is a topic about sweep picking i guess i can post my question here.

how do i manage make a sweep sound clean when the two strings in row need to be on the same fret. For example this pattern im doing now:

--------------7h12---------------
------------8-------8-------------
----------9-----------9-----------
--------9---------------9---------
-7h10------------------10p7---
-----------------------------------

then kind of repeats and it changes up a little, but its a standard 5 string sweep exercise.

What do i do about the D and G strings? I'd imagine you'd have to barre it or roll somehow but it never sounds clean at all.
Unless you need the finger to be on another string, you should leave the finger there but having the string muted.

@wisdom_cube: Yes you roll it. Click here for a video about cleaning up sweeps and rolling.
Last edited by tenfold at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by wisdom_cube
since this is a topic about sweep picking i guess i can post my question here.

how do i manage make a sweep sound clean when the two strings in row need to be on the same fret. For example this pattern im doing now:

--------------7h12---------------
------------8-------8-------------
----------9-----------9-----------
--------9---------------9---------
-7h10------------------10p7---
-----------------------------------

then kind of repeats and it changes up a little, but its a standard 5 string sweep exercise.

What do i do about the D and G strings? I'd imagine you'd have to barre it or roll somehow but it never sounds clean at all.

yes, roll it, its all practice too...
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by Metalhead_28
You might need to refine your technique a little - don't pull off so hard.

That being said, I sometimes mute the open strings with my pick hand palm.

Yeah, I do the same thing.