Hey everyone.

I have ordered in an esp h-251fm at my local store. I briefly picked one up before when they had one in stock and it was rather light. I've read a lot of forums on the internet saying agathis wood is rubbish and neckheavy. I was wondering if anyone has an esp ltd in the 200 series with agathis. Apparently it is really weak and dents easy? If its more expensive than the basswood models than it must be better. My brother has an ec-50 which has a basswood body and i find it fine. It is fairly strong and sounds good enough. As long as its not going to snap in half and sounds good. I was either going to get the h-251 or an ibanez RGA42FM which has a mahogany body. http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page09.php?area_id=2&data_id=744&color=CL01&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=264

Could someone advise me wether i should go through with the h-251 or go for the ibanez instead
ibanez RGA42FM sounds better because it has a mahogany body

Gear:
-Tokai Les Paul Custom w/ Seymour Duncan Custom Custom & Pearly Gates
-Westfield B200
-Ibanez GRG170DXL

-VOX AD30VT
-Fender MD-20
-Marshall MG15DFX

Dunlop Cry Baby
-Digitech RP70
ibanez fo sho

heard mixed reviews about agathis, cant go wrong with mahogany!

looks better too
Gear:
Jackson DK2 Trans Black

Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960AV
well ive already ordered in the h-251 and i had to pay an extra $100. The shop is supposed to be getting it in tomorrow but I wonder if they would mind if I decide to get the Ibanez instead. P.s. the ibanez had marks on the pickups, dont know whether they were scratches or..?
KK. I rang the store and got them to hold aside the ibanez as well so when I go in on saturday I will be able to play both of them. P.s. Ibanez does look pretty awesome, similar to mick thomsons. Dunno bout the pickup marks tho :S
Last edited by drewsyfish at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by drewsyfish
KK. I rang the store and got them to hold aside the ibanez as well so when I go in on saturday I will be able to play both of them. P.s. Ibanez does look pretty awesome, similar to mick thomsons. Dunno bout the pickup marks tho :S

Scratches on the pickups aren't a big deal and don't affect sound or playability at all.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

The only real drawback of agathis is the fact it is heavy. it is used alot for cabinet and furniture making it is a south pacific wood and thats why you see it used alot in guitars made overseas because of its low production costs . it has great resonating properties Buit is damned heavy .
It was hell light though? hmm apparently it varies from guitar to guitar. If you get a good 'batch' of agathis it sometimes has great acoustic properties but other times it can be terrible. I guess I will just have to play both guitars and I could always swap out the pickups of the ibanez later on.