so i have gotten in the habit of just naturally doing alternate picking... but im interesting in learning a song that requires multiple string to be hit at the same time and rapidly. now i know this probably sounds stupid but i cant do it! as i understand it i shouldnt need to actually move my whole arm to pick strings but it just doesnt work when i try to go back up after going down strings 6 5 4.... anyone know how i can improve this? or even understand that lol.
Mute your strings and practice strumming patterns - make up your own rhythms and then practice strumming them. Then go back to what you were trying to play, relax, and just try strumming it - once you've got the hang of strumming it either aim to miss the other strings or just mute any strings you don't want to play.
Quote by Injuyin
I guess try any song with a hardcore breakdown in it.

Some songs have great rhythms that can help you on your way.

Try August Burns Red - Composure
Parkway Drive - Boneyards.

At first it's heaps hard to get more than one string, focus on one and as you get more confident you'll automatically move your hand further away, allowing you to hit more strings.

EDIT: Lighter picks would also bend past the strings easier.

As Blood Runs Black - In Dying Days is also a good one with an awesome breakdown.
Quote by Capitalistklok
so i have gotten in the habit of just naturally doing alternate picking... but im interesting in learning a song that requires multiple string to be hit at the same time and rapidly. now i know this probably sounds stupid but i cant do it! as i understand it i shouldnt need to actually move my whole arm to pick strings but it just doesnt work when i try to go back up after going down strings 6 5 4.... anyone know how i can improve this? or even understand that lol.

You should be using your elbow to move between strings, don't try to hit all 6 strings using your wrist like you would to pick a single string
Quote by Woodkha'ak
As Blood Runs Black - In Dying Days is also a good one with an awesome breakdown.

+1 that's a great song w/ a great breakdown that requires you to alt pick an open C power chord w/ a nice chuggy feel to it
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
Are you looking for a song with chords you need to alternate/tremelo pick? If this is the case, Summers Dying Fast by Cradle of Filth. They have a pretty sweet power chord riff using this technique in that song.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Get in the habit of muting the strings around the chord, and muting between chugs, if your doing a breakdown sort of thing.

This stands for both tremolo picking and chugs, you should mostly use your wrist, unless the chord is more than three strings, then your sort of forced to use your elbow.
The gods you worship are Steel
At the altar of Rock N Roll you kneel
A slave who forever Rocks
Is chained in the Devil's locks
AND SLAIN BY THE BLOODY AXE I WHAIL!
You might need to use a flimsier pick, and if your up stroke is catching then try changing your angle so down and ups are the same angle.
ok that really helps, having a real hard time muting the strings while trying to do it, but i guess that will work itsself out...?