Hey guys,

Well I picked up guitar back 4 years ago, and moved onto bass. Now I'm in a alt rock/indie band and playing lead guitar for a change. I can play all my scales right, I just cant seem to pluck as fast or get as much control over my guitar as i can a bass. I had the same stupid problem when I played guitar. Has anyone got some advice for me?
Practice more
The power you need isnt going to appear over night. Even if it feels like it does sometimes.
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
Last edited by Aurigo at Mar 26, 2009,
It's just practice really.It'll take time to get used to the reduced string tension,action,string size,and string spacing of a guitar after switching over from bass.Now,are you using a pick or are you using your fingers on the guitar?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
It's just practice really.It'll take time to get used to the reduced string tension,action,string size,and string spacing of a guitar after switching over from bass.Now,are you using a pick or are you using your fingers on the guitar?

Pick, playing stuff by the strokes, my picking seems to be the bit im not comfortable wif
Quote by Raptor94
Pick, playing stuff by the strokes, my picking seems to be the bit im not comfortable wif

Ahhh,well that's all practice and finding good hand positioning on the guitar.You can try experimenting with different picks as well.I find that I can pick much better with Jazz III's than I can with normal shaped picks.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Mmm yes, the Jazz III's are fantastic picks.

All I can say is practice - why the change of instrument, if I may ask?

The genre of my new band has rather boring basslines, and I can play lead quite well, ive got everything down but i cant seem to get confortable with picking, im thinkin it may be because of how i hold the pick
It could very well be how your holding, but that doesn't remove the practise aspect. They're 2 different insturments and u need to get use to the differences
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.