Hey guys,

Well I picked up guitar back 4 years ago, and moved onto bass. Now I'm in a alt rock/indie band and playing lead guitar for a change. I can play all my scales right, I just cant seem to pluck as fast or get as much control over my guitar as i can a bass. I had the same stupid problem when I played guitar. Has anyone got some advice for me?
Just play some basic scales over and over slowly until u absolutly nail them, then you will pick up speed and acuracy, there is no magic trick sorry, It will take a long time, but it will pay off and start to feel natuaral.

start with something like the chromatic scale

then

Mix it up if u want.

do that every day as long as u have spare time
It's something that comes with time and practice, but the right exercises might help you improve faster. The chromatic scale mentioned above is a good one, but make sure you use all your fingers. This is obvious, but it can be forgotten.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
And your need to be posting the same thread twice is?
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
3rd post is correct.

Dont get into the habbit of using ur 3rd finger where u should be playing with your pinky(4th)

It will feel akward at first but it will help you be a much better player at the end of the day.

Also, make sure ur holding ur pick right, play near the fret wires and make sure ur thumb is normally in the center of the neck.
Oh, and an important thing is also being able to know and feel where each string is, without having to look all the time. Like, if you would want to go from the the a-string to the g-string without hitting d.

The best way to be able to do this is to find a comfortable place to rest your hand while playing, or in other words a place to keep it fixed. This way, in time, you will start to feel familiar with the string locations. Keeping your hand floating in the air is, in my opinion not the best way to do this, yet it might work for some, or for many. I don't know.

What I do is something I learned while taking lessons a while back. It's really easy. What I do is I take my right hand pinky and place it on the guitar body, high e-string side. This allows me personally to navigate the way I want to. You can try a number of different ways that may suit you, like placing your hand on the bride (depending on what type it is), though making sure not to mute the strings, unless you want to. But this is one way of many others.

This is in my experience a good way to coordinate your picking hand. Also, when you start getting better, look up "economy picking", which is basically yet another way to get better at picking.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Last edited by Stentroll at Mar 26, 2009,
Best way? Get yourself a metronome, and play the spider exercises, INCLUDING SKIPPING STRINGS. Mix it up- if you can only play fast on one string, then your practice has been pointless. Start off slowly, playing CLEAN straight 8ths or 16ths. Once you've done this for a while, in time, speed the metronome up. But remember, you have to be very hard on yourself- no shortcuts, or else you'll only be hundering yourself.

Why do I say mix it up with string skipping (and the order of fretting- instead of 1234 all the time, play, for example, 3241)? Speed is the byproduct of accuracy. Where is the accuracy? In the co-ordination between your hands. You're only as fast as your slowest hand, so that's why you train both up at the same time.