Okay, so i live in the UK, and ive got a cheap strat copy (dont we all) and i love it.

But ive been thinking recently that i would like it to have bigger frets.
Now, i would like to put bigger frets on it, but i do not know what modifications to the guitar itself i will have to make, and how much and where to buy bigger frets?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Scalloping might not be the best option, you CAN take it to a luthier and get them to refret it with some larger frets, but in all honesty a cheap strat copy doesnt really justify the expenditure
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Scalloping is the hollowing out of the wood between the frets so your finger doesn't touch the finger board; some people swear by it...

For bigger frets no mods are needed on the actual guitar (will need to increase action slightly and probably sort out the truss rod afterwards.) Most guitar stores should be able to get you frets in for you... Will probably cost about £10-20 for regular nickel silver frets... You could probably buy them from axesrus or stewmac or similar online stores too.

Oh and if you want big big frets then dunlop 6000, 6100 or 6105 is where you should be looking (from largest to slightly smaller)
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
where exactly do you live? because near where i live theres a shop called KGB music based in birkenhead and they do all guitar modifications you could want, they will also do refrets. but if you live nowhere near there then try asking around your local music shops, they will all know someone or somewhere that does mods/repairs.
Thankyou to powerfreak for clearing that up, and i will look into those frets. cheers.
Ive got no idea where birkenhead is. Sorry.
(to dempsey68)
And wether or not it is a cheat strat copy is irrelivent. The point is that I love it, and i would like to put bigger frets on it. Plus if its only goting to be £10-20, its not exactly a fortune. (to chimpinatux)
Are you putting in the frets?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Yeah... the frets themselves will cost you 10-20 gbp... getting someone to install them who knows what he is doing might be another 100 or more (don't know what the current exchange is... it runs 150-250 USD generally)
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
why would it be so expensive to put new frets in?
$150 seems abit high to take out and put in 22 bits of wire?
There is a lot of labour involved in refretting a guitar, and luthier/guitar techs per hour prices are not cheap

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/refret.html

In the UK to have some one do it is going to cost you in the region of £200, or £300 with binding.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by Absent Mind
There is a lot of labour involved in refretting a guitar, and luthier/guitar techs per hour prices are not cheap

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/refret.html

In the UK to have some one do it is going to cost you in the region of £200, or £300 with binding.

Learn to do it yourself... It's not hard and will save you a fortune; levelling and dressing is the hardest part and most places don't charge that much if you're not comfortable.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
what is a "fret dress"?
And does anyone know anyone who would be able to do this in Kent?
Fret dressing is when you file the frets after leveling them to get rid of any sharp edges on the ends of the frets. You can also crown the frets with dressing files.

Clicky.
It may seem a simple thing to swap 22 small bits of wire. Until you do it once then you will say "oh thats why its 200$". There are some not so cheap specialized tools involved. And a pretty steep learning curve. Can just about guarantee your first fret job wont be pretty.
Quote by Grevious555
what is a "fret dress"?
And does anyone know anyone who would be able to do this in Kent?

I do.

Drop me a PM, where in Kent are you (I'm in Kent!)
Quote by Grevious555
...ive got a cheap strat copy (dont we all) and i love it.
But ive been thinking recently that i would like it to have bigger frets.

No, I don't have a cheap strat copy,
but wouldn't it be smarter to pickup another cheap strat copy with jumbo frets. That way, just incase you don't like the feel or playability, you will have the original to go back or swap around with.

I'm just learning to play guitar, the Aslin Dane "Bohemian" I own has jumbo frets and really stout strings. After a while my fingers start to hurt from the extra pressure applied to the strings. That and some of my chords sound out of tune. Recently picked up an older Crestline Flying V with smaller frets and have found that it is easier to play.
BLAZE ON!

2006 Epiphone '58 Korina V
2008 Aslin Dane Bohemian
Real Sound Mars Twin Tube Distortion/Overdrive
Crate dxj112 amp
Dunlop HighGain used as expression pedal