I've been trying to learn scales recently, such as the diminished scale and stuff. I look up lessons and it says the basic notes of the scale and the frets, but I don't know how to apply them to writing songs or riffs. Or where to play notes in the scale on different places on the fretboard.

In other words, I don't know how to apply scales to writing/soloing. I really want to learn because I am not the greatest writer, and i need something to improve my knowledge and songwriting abilities.
For 3 years I have just been playing by ear and tabs.

Any suggestions on where to start learning? I have searched in many places but still don't understand.

by the way i play metal/hardcore. (everything in between, deathcore, metalcore, post-hardcore, whatever).
Last edited by the_accidentist at Mar 26, 2009,
learn the 5 basic pentatonics, they keep their shape no matter where they are on the fretboard, and some of the most famous riffs have been written with them.
Smart Pothead and Proud
^
there are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by the_accidentist
I've been trying to learn scales recently, such as the diminished scale and stuff. I look up lessons and it says the basic notes of the scale and the frets, but I don't know how to apply them to writing songs or riffs. Or where to play notes in the scale on different places on the fretboard.

In other words, I don't know how to apply scales to writing/soloing. I really want to learn because I am not the greatest writer, and i need something to improve my knowledge and songwriting abilities.
For 3 years I have just been playing by ear and tabs.

Any suggestions on where to start learning? I have searched in many places but still don't understand.

by the way i play metal/hardcore. (everything in between, deathcore, metalcore, post-hardcore, whatever).

If you want to actually learn scales then you need to learn the notes on the fretboard and start with the major scale.

Just learning patterns doesn't really teach you anything - it's up to you to explore the sounds you can create with them and figure out how to best make use of them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 26, 2009,
Scales organise sounds. Play around with a scale and see what sounds you get out of it. Take what you like and expand on it.

My theory vids might help if you're having trouble seeing and moving scales around the neck.
the_accidentist, can you elaborate on your song writing process as it stands today?

When I write, I tend to begin with a chord progression i.e. I-IV-V, next vocal melody, then lyrics, finally scales/solos which puts me a good starting point to revise, improvise and arrange.
Scales just tell you what notes work together. Ir your just starting to write stuff its easiest to stay diatonic - pick a key and just stick to the notes/chords in that key. You can always play with it later.

If you're just starting to solo/improvise take it slow - pick a couple of notes out of whatever scale you are using and restrict yourself to those notes until you are comfortable noodling with them(preferably over a backing track). Then add a note, rinse and repeat. Worked for me anyway

Remember nobody is the worlds greatest writer to start with. Its not all inspiration - its mainly hard work! You are not going to come up with a fantastic solo first time out. Its a learning process. Give yourself a chance and I'm sure you'll be writing some awesome stuff before you know it!