I'm just starting to build up my rig. I've sold a ton of my old music equipment for all new equipment to get back into playing hardcore metal after about five years of playing other instruments and i'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for multi effects pedals.

My Gear:
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo Tube amp
Schecter Damien FR
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Keeley mod Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Last edited by CudOfCow at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by fly135
Pod X3 Live

holy crap those are expensive... They worth it?
what effects do you need for "hardcore metal" other then nasty distortion? if you only need a few effects like delay/chorus/etc... get individual pedals over the multi effects

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Multi-effects's drives suck. If you want modulation effects and dont have the money to buy lots of pedals, get a really good multi-effect like boss gt8 and use it on send return of your amp. But I'd not advise it for drives.
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
Quote by fly135
Pod X3 Live

+1 worth every penny. Next best bet would be a POD XT Live
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
As an XT live owner I can tell ya that I would not buy a pod xt/x3 as a effects processor. Great if you want to model and record ect but the effects are weak as you like compared to something with real quality. I was happy enough with the effects on mine then had my eyes opened at Christmas when I got my TC G-Major. The effects are head and shoulders above the PODs. the real stand out effects are the reverbs, phasers chorus and pitch effects. Dont even bother with pich effects on the pod the tracking is diabolical.

My advice is get a G-Major and a midi controller of some sort and you will be sorted for amp switching and effects. If you want to splash out the G-Major 2 is looking tasty but only if you will use the extended effects otherwise try the original.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Mar 26, 2009,
^ But no amp modeling right
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
^ if hes got a nice amp, im not sure why he would want amp modeling? thats usually been the downfall of most m-fx pedals ive tried. they cram too much into the thing and make you choose an amp/cabinet model instead of focusing on just the effects that work in a digital environment.

i agree with something like the g-major (ive got my eyes on one). it focus solely on high quality effects and doesnt have all the stuff like distortion that is better achieved with an amp or analog pedal.
so far i only seen multi fx fanboys and single pedals fanboys posting,
heres the verdict, yes the top of the line multi fx like the boss gt8/10 and pod xt/x3 are expensive, but once you tweak them right and have the right sound system or pa they will practically sound like anything you would want to sound like.

single pedals are good too since they are they are individual and if anything goes wrong you can just replace the broken part. and yes they do sound better than multi fx but cost ratio wise i would go for a pod x3 or boss gt10. however if you don't have that money to begin with but would prefer single pedals, just start out slow and soon you'll build a collection.
I am absolutely not a single pedal or muti fx fanboy. I will simply get what fits my brief. I used to think that an all in one solution is the answer and for a cheap setup it probably is the best solution. For me reverbs, chorus, delays and pich effects belong in the loop and i wanted something to switch my amps channels. The G-Major fits the bill perfectly, however, all my drive effects wah ect are all individual pedals.

Just buy what fits your needs the best.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by jof1029
they cram too much into the thing and make you choose an amp/cabinet model instead of focusing on just the effects that work in a digital environment.

In my POD XT Live I can turn on or off anything I want.

Everything is going to have it's weaknesses when your looking at these types of units. I find the the OD/Dis/Fuzz to be a bit weak in the POD however the time based effects are quite good. My single pedal distortions are alot better, but my H2O chorus/echo, although it is better it' not by much. I've already got the pedal so no big deal, but i wouldn't spend the $190 again. Wasn't worth the minor improvement. A decent multi shines in the $$/value category in my opinion and also in the learn as you go category. If you want to learn what fx and amp models do the variety really can't be beat in something like a POD. You may be able to replace some of the fx in a good multi for a relative low cost, but good luck with amp models. My 3 favorites are the SLO100, AC30 and Bassman models and they get used alot. To replace those with the real deal would be thousands of $$$. If you don't have deep pockets modeling is really the only way to go for versatility.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
^ see, i find that all those models sound a bit fake. id rather have a good tone of one amp then try to push a bassman model through a marshally amp like my blackheart. if i was running straight to the PA, then sure its a possibility. however the threadstarter is already using a XXX, which means he already has a good amp. running models through an amp that already has good tone is rather pointless IMO. and ok, so you can turn everything off in a pod, but a lot of those units have at least some sort of EQ built in. at the very least the signal is still running through the A/D and D/A converters (multiple times depending on the setup).

i also agree that the overdrive/fuzz/distortion effects on m-fx is weak, which just gives me another reason not to get something like the POD or ME-50 or whatever. if youve got a good amp and a couple decent dirt pedals, you are paying for a lot of stuff that you arent using. id rather stick a wah, od and compressor in front of a good amp with a processor that does reverbs, choruses and delays in the loop along with an analog delay. this is the setup that i think gives the best that single effects and m-fx have to offer, along with a good amp.

i stand by what i said though, most multi-fx pedals cram too much into a simple package so you end up paying for things you dont want and wont use.
i agree, i think you pay a lot of money for a lot of useless models, weak distortion, and average effects.
if you will be playing metal, you really only need like 4 pedals
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
i agree, i think you pay a lot of money for a lot of useless models, weak distortion, and average effects.
if you will be playing metal, you really only need like 4 pedals

such as?
for your situation, you probably should go with single pedals. wait, you DO use your amp for distortion, right?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
well, the only pedal i feel i NEED is reverb. because the xxx has none. but also a good chorus, a delay, a wah, and maybe a fuzz pedal is all i want for metal. oh and maybe a good od
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION