..where should I be? I know everyone is different, but no longer will I be that guy who is like yeah I haven't even played a year. Also some good classic rock bands with great basslines for me to broaden my playing would be nice too.

At a year of playing I have just got down the 3 fingered technique pretty good. With this I have just started looking at some iron maiden because...if you can play with 3 fingers why not gallop? lol.. but what other techniques should I be doing at this point?

Also like I asked, what other classic rock bands have great bass? Right now I pretty much play only Zeppelin or the Beatles because I love the bass and the band as a whole. Based off of that being my favorite bands and bassists, what do you guys think I should be playing now?
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
I love Deep Purple lines, they're simple, but can be fun and complicated when it's called for, none of this crazy lines because I can lark!

Check out Rainbow too, they have some nice bass riffs

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by mwhan2209
..where should I be? I know everyone is different, but no longer will I be that guy who is like yeah I haven't even played a year. Also some good classic rock bands with great basslines for me to broaden my playing would be nice too.

At a year of playing I have just got down the 3 fingered technique pretty good. With this I have just started looking at some iron maiden because...if you can play with 3 fingers why not gallop? lol.. but what other techniques should I be doing at this point?

Also like I asked, what other classic rock bands have great bass? Right now I pretty much play only Zeppelin or the Beatles because I love the bass and the band as a whole. Based off of that being my favorite bands and bassists, what do you guys think I should be playing now?

Steve Harris actually plays with two fingers cause his awesomeness would reach an ungodly level were he to use 3.
I think that after a year, you should be at a place where you can improvise over original basslines and improvise in general. Like be able to sit down with the bass and solo in key, just blurting out what comes to mind.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
You wanna get better? Play blues man, you gotta see what true bass are.
And keep playing maiden's songs
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
Yeah deep purple actually have some pretty good bass lines, even though I'm not into the band as a whole a whole lot. I mean the actual bass line to Smoke on the Water (not just the guitar riff played on bass) is pretty darn good. The bass line during the solo is good too. That song would actually just be terrible without those bass lines.
Okay defineately Deep Purple, learn Smoke on the Water (cheesey i know), Black Night and Strange Kinda Woman.

Have a look at some T-Rex, i play of few of their songs with my band and love it.
ACDC - lovelly and simple
Guns n Roses obviously, start with something simple and build up.

&& as GuitarUser said, BLUES! Play lots of Blues as it will make you a better rock player.

EDIT: Another handy idea that helped me, is if you have any like "Rock's Greatest Hits blah blah blah" compilation CDs, learn the basslines from the songs on it. It helps add diversity & you pick up lots of nice fills and stuff. It just gives you a few ideas to work from when you write your own.
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Last edited by lorrythebassguy at Mar 26, 2009,
What are some blues things to learn? Blues like Stevie Ray Vaughan or blues like 12 bar blues type songs? Thanks for the tips but if you were a little more specific it would be nice.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
Joining a band/jamming with others will be FAR more beneficial for you than learning a song.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
Joining a band/jamming with others will be FAR more beneficial for you than learning a song.

I agree. I have already had 1 performance for the schools talent show in a band (not one of my own just a random bunch of people doing an act) and I jam all the time. The possibility is out there for me to get in a band with a guitarist of 5 years who can play pretty much anything, an awesome drummer, and another great guitarist which has me feeling like I need to keep improving and its why I came on here.
Quote by DempseyPunk
Last edited by mwhan2209 at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by ScottB.

Yeah deffo
Thats mainly how i learnt,.

I meant blues as in anything really. 12-bar, Hendrix, Clapton, SVR. Just blues in general. Its really good for aspiring rock musicians as it gives you a solid foundation to start from.
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by mwhan2209
I agree. I have already had 1 performance for the schools talent show in a band (not one of my own just a random bunch of people doing an act) and I jam all the time. The possibility is out there for me to get in a band with a guitarist of 5 years who can play pretty much anything, an awesome drummer, and another great guitarist which has me feeling like I need to keep improving and its why I came on here.

You mean improve before you feel ready to join the band?

I played guitar for a few years before I played bass. The first time I played bass properly was my bands first practice!
If you've playing for a year you shouldn't really feel as though you need to be better than you are before joining a band, I've found it more of a learning experience than anything else.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Mar 26, 2009,
Well I guess I feel good enough to be in the band. I mean the guitarist's favorite band is Zeppelin and I can cover about every Zeppelin song he would want to play so I feel good enough in that aspect. But I don't want to be just good enough I guess...I dunno. The guitarist is so good that I feel like there is no reason for me not to be that kind of player on the bass, if that makes any sense.
Quote by DempseyPunk
Find a drummer to jam with. ^_^
And learn to play by ear (if you haven't already)
Quote by mwhan2209
Well I guess I feel good enough to be in the band. I mean the guitarist's favorite band is Zeppelin and I can cover about every Zeppelin song he would want to play so I feel good enough in that aspect. But I don't want to be just good enough I guess...I dunno. The guitarist is so good that I feel like there is no reason for me not to be that kind of player on the bass, if that makes any sense.

Didnt you say he's been playing for 5 years? I'd say thats a pretty good reason to not be that level

But really, I think you should jump at the chance to be in a band with these guys, if theyre nice and you're into the same music. You might not be as good now, but as I said, it's a learning process.
Quote by guitarhero_764