so i got 1000 dollars credit in musicians friend and i need a half stack, but i dont know what to get..i play opeth, Dt ,faceless stuff like that. any suggestions? thanks!
Cue 65 people saying you dont NEED a halfstack.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
112 can work just as good. I own a 50watt 112 amp and it's **** loud. When you really need to go loud you can mic up.

Mesa? Engl? Bogner? Krank? Randall? The list is endless
Quote by WantzChas
112 can work just as good. I own a 50watt 112 amp and it's **** loud. When you really need to go loud you can mic up.

Mesa? Engl? Bogner? Krank? Randall? The list is endless

well a bigger cab don't make things luoder you know
well im goona be playing shows, and i wont be able to mic it all the time so i need something thats loud whenever i need for it to be loud
Quote by Sguit
well a bigger cab don't make things luoder you know

Probably why he was suggesting a 112 and not a 412!!!!

And it is true, the cab size doesn't make it much louder, but it can make the sound fuller.

I would think that when you are playing shows you would always want to mic it to the PA regardless of the size/watts of your amp.

At lower volume levels I think you maintain the quality of your tone more instead of pushing your amp and chancing losing some quality to your tone.
Quote by MetalHead916
Probably why he was suggesting a 112 and not a 412!!!!
At lower volume levels I think you maintain the quality of your tone more instead of pushing your amp and chancing losing some quality to your tone.

Isn't the point of getting the valve tone to push your amp up loud till you get that tone?
Quote by WantzChas
Isn't the point of getting the valve tone to push your amp up loud till you get that tone?

Oops, that was regarding SS amps. I have no experience with valve amps so I won't waste anybodys time with a failed attempt to act like I do.

That must be the beauty in valve amps. Some SS amps sound like $hit when cranked. So that's why I would mic them, but some are loud enough to do just fine on their own. But the whole mixing and equalizing process just makes it sound better, IMO.

TS: Also try your local craigslist instead of buying new. I never buy gear new. Buying used = Sweet Deals