I did read the stickied FAQ, because i thought my question on harmonising would be in there; It wasn't.

If somebody can answer this, I will love them, for ever. How can you harmonise in thirds, without knowing the scale?

You can close it if I'm being a fool.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Yes, that's called interval harmonization. It sounds a bit funky sometimes, but you can hear it done a lot in video game music.

Diatonic harmonization takes notes directly from the mother scale.
Quote by KenjiBeast
Yes, that's called interval harmonization. It sounds a bit funky sometimes, but you can hear it done a lot in video game music.

Diatonic harmonization takes notes directly from the mother scale.

That didn't answer my question at all...
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
well if you didnt know the scale, how would you know how to play the harmonies in key? seems kinda pointless.

i suppose you can just learn the harmony "shapes" but you'd still have to know the scale. it would be so much easier if you do. basically, with the scale you just start on a note and count up however many notes you want to harmonize. so in thirds, you count up 3. 4ths, 4. 10ths, 10. thats all i did and then i memorized the shapes and the pattern the create accross the string. and then from there you just move them around to fit in with the key, just like with chord or scale shapes. and then from there you could start stacking these harmonies to make different chords.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
seems kinda pointless.

I need to know for a song I'm writing, but i don't know anything regarding the scale or key that it's in.
Quote by King Twili
I need to know for a song I'm writing, but i don't know anything regarding the scale or key that it's in.

you are writing a song and you dont know what key you are in? well again, i cant really help you if you dont even know that. you kinda need to know this in order to harmonize something.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
you are writing a song and you dont know what key you are in? well again, i cant really help you if you dont even know that. you kinda need to know this in order to harmonize something.

Its not every note i'm having problems with, it's just a few, so if i say which notes i need to harmonise, would you guys be able to tell me the harmony for it.

I hate myself because i feel like a huge noob
Quote by King Twili
Its not every note i'm having problems with, it's just a few, so if i say which notes i need to harmonise, would you guys be able to tell me the harmony for it.

I hate myself because i feel like a huge noob

well what are the chords? i could tell you the key if you told me the chords.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
well what are the chords? i could tell you the key if you told me the chords.

Um I will type them now

ex
bx
gx
d4
a2
e0

ex
bx
gx
d0
a2
e3

ex
bx
gx
d0
a4
e5

they're arpeggios, and i need a lead harmony in thirds to be played over the top, if you understand what i mean.
Quote by King Twili

Use your ears then.

Quote by King Twili
i need a lead harmony in thirds to be played over the top, if you understand what i mean.

how do you know you need 3rds if you don't even know what 3rds are?

did someone tell you that you need to harmonize in 3rds cause it's like theoretically correct or something?

anyway, if you don't know what 3rds are and how to construct scales..... do some studying.

You can still use your ear now and create a harmony that sounds good. (which may or may not happen to be 3rds)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by King Twili
I did read the stickied FAQ, because i thought my question on harmonising would be in there; It wasn't. If somebody can answer this, I will love them, for ever. How can you harmonise in thirds, without knowing the scale?
You could try a brute force method. Pick either a minor or major third to begin with (three or four half-steps, respectively). If it doesn't sound good, either expand the minor third to a major third or contract the major third to a minor third and try it again. If it sounds good, move to the next tone to be harmonized and repeat the process. This is truly grunt work, but you'll eventually end up with a melody harmonized in thirds that you can live with.

You'll eventually want to make the effort to learn your scales, though. That will save you tons of time and aggravation. Good luck.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
well it seems to be in E minor. so heres what you do:

1) go to all-guitar-chords.com and look up the E minor scale.
2)from there, to harmonize in thrids you just find a start note and count up three.

this isnt really something that you can learn in a matter of minutes. but ill help you out a bit. this is the E minor scale in thrids decending on the top two strings.

e 17 15 14 12 10 8 7 5 3 2 0
B 19 17 15 14 12 10 8 7 5 3 1
G
D
A
E

now you could go higher on the neck if you wanted. the shapes would be the same as the lower frets but you just play them past the 12th. think of the 12th as 0. and go from there. now once you know how this sounds, try bringing it down to the other strings. the notes will be the same but where they are is different. hope that helps a bit.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Use your ears then.

how do you know you need 3rds if you don't even know what 3rds are?

Because i don't want 5ths, and i don't want 7ths or 8ths (octaves, i forgot which one it was for them) I know what they are, it's just i don't know what notes they would be.