Poll: Open or Closed-Back?
Poll Options
View poll results: Open or Closed-Back?
Open
2 18%
Closed
9 82%
Voters: 11.
I'm getting a little tube head, one of the 1-5Watters that are currently all the rage. I only play at home and I play a variety of stuff but my home is in aggressive music. Hardcore punk, some metal, etc.

I know that closed-back cabinets have more bass, but what benefits do open-backed cabinets have? The amp will likely be in my living room or the spare bedroom/office, so "filling the space" isn't necessary.

Also, if you could chime in, is getting a really nice cabinet like Avatar absolutely necessary or should I shop around for something a little cheaper at a used gear shop?
Guitars
1996 Rickenbacker 360 Jetglo "Christine"
2003 Schecter S1 Blackjack w/ SD JB/59 "Lenore"
Gear
Lopo Line 1x12 w/ WGS British Lead 80
Blackstar HT-5 (buying)
Pedals: GE-7 EQ | BBE SS | V847
Open backs are great for chimey room filling cleans. And if you can find a used 1x12 go for it but keep speaker differances in mind. As far as Avatar they are great cabs on the cheap. So it's still something to consider! But for what it's worth definatly closed-back.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Closed. It gives you tighter bass response and seems louder, because more of the sound is pushed fowards, rather than in all directions.
Hmm ... that's one thing. My pride and joy is my Rickenbacker 360, so I don't want to short-change its natural chimey sound ... is a closed-back going to rob that chime?
Guitars
Gear
Blackstar HT-5 (buying)
Quote by Nosf3ratu
Hmm ... that's one thing. My pride and joy is my Rickenbacker 360, so I don't want to short-change its natural chimey sound ... is a closed-back going to rob that chime?

Could do. Which cabs are you looking at? Surely you could just buy one with a back and then remove the back and see which sound you prefer.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Could do. Which cabs are you looking at? Surely you could just buy one with a back and then remove the back and see which sound you prefer.

I'm currently looking at the Avatar G112. I'm bidding on one on eBay but it's gone up over $100 and I want to make sure I don't make a mistake.

Removing the back is an obvious idea, should have thought of that. Thanks!
Guitars
Gear
Blackstar HT-5 (buying)