Pretty much straight blues and penta scales.

Like Blind in 1 Ear said you can sometimes hear him using notes for the natural minor scale or major too, but he only uses them occasionally.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I would say he uses notes from the pentatonic major more than "occasionally". His solos are almost exclusively made up of the pentatonic major (especially the 9th and major 3rd), the pentatonic minor, and the chromatic passing notes between those.
Quote by Philbigtime
I would say he uses notes from the pentatonic major more than "occasionally". His solos are almost exclusively made up of the pentatonic major (especially the 9th and major 3rd), the pentatonic minor, and the chromatic passing notes between those.

I'm not saying pentatonic. I'm saying full major scale and full minor scale.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
He uses mostly the blues scale. Having said that, using the same scale as someone will not make you sound like them.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I'm not saying pentatonic. I'm saying full major scale and full minor scale.

OK, I get what you're saying. I just want to make sure that the OP knows what we're talking about.
Quote by The_Sophist
He uses mostly the blues scale. Having said that, using the same scale as someone will not make you sound like them.

Best advice in this thread so far ^

these "what scale" threads....don't help.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by The_Sophist

I don't wan't to sound like SRV, I just want to know what scales he mostly uses. I'm just trying to see what the most common scales are that well known guitarist use.
Last edited by poptard at Mar 26, 2009,
mostly blues and pent but ive seen a song that seemed in dorian
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer