Hi,

Still in the planning stage of my build but I have one question. Why are necks always maple? What would the outcome of building an oak neck be?. I'm assuming that it's to do with stability.

Cheers

Thrench
Necks aren't always maple.
Many necks, such as the necks on Gibson Les Pauls are made of mahogany.
But the reason maple is commonly used is because it is a very hard, strong wood.
Maple is a pretty tough, solid, and bright sounding wood.
That's all.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
wenge>maple.

playingwise anyway. I'm sure most luthiers would rather be playing with maple.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
theres like a gazillion other woods used, its all about how stable the wood is so it can stand up to string tension
Maple is just a good wood to use. And it grows here so is cheaper and easier to get than imported woods. And its also a traditional thing. The guitar industry can get in a rut when it comes to making things sometimes. A rut they would rather stay in than risk making a small change that diehard customers might not think much of.
Yeah, basically what everyone has said already-- it's cheap, readily available, hard, stable, looks nice, sounds decent, and it's not prohibitively heavy or toxic. It even smells nice when you're working on it.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Last edited by Rebelw/outaCord at Mar 27, 2009,
Excellent,

Thanks for all your answers. I might just give the oak a go and see what happens.
Quote by thrench
Excellent,

Thanks for all your answers. I might just give the oak a go and see what happens.

Oak is very hard to work and will blunt your tools very quickly. Use Maple or mahogany, sepele, wenge Ovankol etc.
Quote by Tackleberry
Maple is just a good wood to use. And it grows here so is cheaper and easier to get than imported woods. And its also a traditional thing. The guitar industry can get in a rut when it comes to making things sometimes. A rut they would rather stay in than risk making a small change that diehard customers might not think much of.

Yeah. Look at Fender's CBS era if you don't believe this.
Quote by guitarcam123
wenge will blunt your tools like hell too

Well yeah, but it sh!ts all over Oak to look at and as a neck wood, so it's worth it!
I think oak looks really cool if you pick a piece with nice grain. Unfortunately, that's exactly what you DON'T want for a neck.
Plus it's really heavy
Plus the dust is bad for you
And it's unstable and might warp or some other manner of nonsense.

Don't do it! But if you do, get a piece with the straightest grain you can find, and make it a 3 piece neck with opposed grain so that it will be a little more stable.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...