I have been trying to find a half-stack that will work for my range of playing. My band plays everything from completely clean blues and RHCP to Audioslave and RATM to SOAD and Disturbed. I use multiple effects pedals so I don't need any built in effects. Tube would be preferred and a price under $1000 if possible, unless you have a better one for more. Thanks in advance.
Music and sutff
Randall RG75 from the G3 series. Great clean channel and two distortion circuits. One is the bluesier channel and one for higher gain stuff like RATM and Disturbed (btw, Dan Donegan has a Randall head and amp unit from them) and it is around $600. This amp will literally last you your lifetime.
half stack is not neccessary

50 watt tube combo is more then enough

check out Vox/Peavey/Crate/B52/Laney/Randall

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Use the search....... Baaaaaaaaaaar....

(to the tune of Brick House)
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Use the search....... Baaaaaaaaaaar....

(to the tune of Brick House)

Search Bar.....bayyybbyyyyeeee

(to the tune of Love Shack)

Seriously - Id hit a JCM900 or a 2000. Thatd be good enough for you.
well im pretty sure at least 3 out of those 4 bands use some type of marshall, so i would think you should start there
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by davedoom
Search Bar.....bayyybbyyyyeeee

(to the tune of Love Shack)

Seriously - Id hit a JCM900 or a 2000. Thatd be good enough for you.

I think that the JCM900 or 2000 would both be good for your styles. Just clean enough, and just heavy enough. The JCM900 is generally accepted on here as somewhat better, but a JCM2000 will get a little heavier.
JCM 800/900 dual channel combo (used)
Mesa/Boogie F-30/DC3
Peavey XXX combo/ 3120/JSX (used)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I also recommend the JCM series for the styles and budget you have listed. You can get any of them in either combo or halfstack. I'm not gonna tell you no on the halfstack if it's what you want and if you think you'll be able to get the most out of it that you can, go for it.

Check your local craigslist, music stores, etc, to find those amps.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Why is everyone telling these people they dont need halfstacks? maybe YOU dont need a halfstack, but if its something they need/want, why not do something productive and help the guy then flood his post with "D00d dont gets the havestak its t00 BIG".
^ well there are better amps in his price range rather than a half stack.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by TheCalvinator
Why is everyone telling these people they dont need halfstacks? maybe YOU dont need a halfstack, but if its something they need/want, why not do something productive and help the guy then flood his post with "D00d dont gets the havestak its t00 BIG".

Quiet. The majority of people are helpful.
Used Peavey Ultra Plus head sitting on top of a Used cab of your choice or new avatar.

That budget could you get the head and an extremely nice cab if you worked your cards right. Giving you a rig good enough to go on tour with.

Ultra Plus 120 head - $400
Marshall Cab - $400 to $600
or
Mesa Cab - $500 to $700

Total - right in your budget..

You could possibly even pick up a Peavey triple for $500 and spend $500 on a good cab.

Many options out there for you..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 26, 2009,
dont get a half stack,

id recommend the B52 AT 100 with a 2x12 at the most

I like playing from RHCP to SOAD as well and my B52 does a great job at doing that
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
Serious with all the whineing about half stacks man I have a 50 watt vox combo and a marshall jcm900 and the jcm was def worth it halfstacks are great and I got mine for 850 so if u want a half stack go for it
\m/ metal up your ass
Quote by TheCalvinator

you dont need a halfstack

i got one recently and i hate it. well i love the tone but i wish i bought a 2x12 instead

nobody really needs a halfstack for more volume bc you can mic your amp at most venues

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
you dont need a halfstack

i got one recently and i hate it. well i love the tone but i wish i bought a 2x12 instead

nobody really needs a halfstack for more volume bc you can mic your amp at most venues

Life isn't all about needs no1 needs a lambo no1 needs a 42in flatscreen tv no1 needs to have 3sums with hot twins if u want something go 4 it
\m/ metal up your ass
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ well there are better amps in his price range rather than a half stack.

For 1000 bucks there are plenty of pro quality half stacks on the used market. Almost any Marshall can be had for that price. From a JMP 1987 or 1959 through JCM 800, 900 and DSL or TSL with a used 1960 cab. I am all for steering someone to a combo when their budget is not enough to get a decent half-stack, but a grand gets you quality stuff.