Hey there fellow bass players.
My band just finished recording our demo a few weeks ago and recently it came back from being mixed.

I really like my bass sound on the demo, but I would like some other opinions.
I would prefer if you listened to Silenced and Blind, because there are a few bits were only the bass plays.

http://www.myspace.com/payloaddk

Thank you.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
needs more low mids or something. pretty hollow sounding. IMO.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Hmmm... I think you guys are on to something.
Sorry for double posting.

But could it have something to do, with the fact that i has not been mastered yet?
well mastering wont fix the bass IMO, proper mixing will...to me mastering means getting it CD quality ready volume wise as an all together mix. if thats what came back mixed im sure the levels of the bass, and its EQ wont change, personally the bass could have been fixed a tad in the mix by adding some low mids, but it doesnt sound like much EQing was done to anything because the vocal levels are even low aswell.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
well mastering wont fix the bass IMO, proper mixing will...to me mastering means getting it CD quality ready volume wise as an all together mix. if thats what came back mixed im sure the levels of the bass, and its EQ wont change, personally the bass could have been fixed a tad in the mix by adding some low mids, but it doesnt sound like much EQing was done to anything because the vocal levels are even low aswell.

Do you think it could be fixed simply by altering the EQ?
Quote by teh_Beatles
Do you think it could be fixed simply by altering the EQ?

by improving the tone of the bass, I think, I think, it would improve the tone of the bass when it is recorded
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Fuck.

I really loved the sound, but after you guys mentioned this it kinda ruined the whole demo...
I think you cut through greatly, but I agree that there is no oomph, it needs low end, it is a starved bass-tone that could be grandiose.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
well you can fix it a bit in the mix, but it would honestly sound better if you got a better recording from the start. you didnt pay money for the recording did you?

Well that sucks.

No we did not, except for a bottle of whisky.
Quote by Froggy McHop
I'm really not liking the amount of fret rattle you have.

Well that's fair enough.

But I love that.
Yeah I was listening to the song Face Reality and your tone is pretty good especially around 2:30 when the slow part starts, but it sounds a little thin. I think the bass needs to be boosted in volume and a little more lo-mids. Btw your singer reminded me of James Hetfeild from Metallica. Your band, Payload, is pretty sweet man.

EDIT:Just listenend to Silenced and Blind and damn you have a nice tone man! Just boost the low-mids because around 40 seconds your tone, in my opinion, sounds like the classic scooped mids metal sound. It just sounds empty; alot of low bass and treble, you need mids
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
Yeah I was listening to the song Face Reality and your tone is pretty good especially around 2:30 when the slow part starts, but it sounds a little thin. I think the bass needs to be boosted in volume and a little more lo-mids. Btw your singer reminded me of James Hetfeild from Metallica. Your band, Payload, is pretty sweet man.

EDIT:Just listenend to Silenced and Blind and damn you have a nice tone man! Just boost the low-mids because around 40 seconds your tone, in my opinion, sounds like the classic scooped mids metal sound. It just sounds empty; alot of low bass and treble, you need mids

Thanks a lot man.

Well people seem to agree that the bass sounds a little hollow, I hope that I will be able to do something about that before it's to late.

Im glad that you like our music, feel free to add us on myspace or send us and message.
i think your tone is fantastic for when the whole band is going at it but the solo parts to "silenced and blind" sound too hollow for my tastes. the bass tone does well at thickening out the overall sound even if it is mixed out a little bit but when the bass is playing solo it sounds so empty and unappealing to listen to. I think the next time you go into the studio you should have a listen to some solo bass recordings before and pick through them breaking down what makes them sound so full with only one instrument. Finding a good compromise between that and your current tone will make something fantastic
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I agree with other posters that you sound really hollow, which is a shame cause your bass parts are rather nice. It would honestly sound much nicer to me if you cut your highs and boosted your mids and lows, because there really is no low end to your bands sound at all right now. Not only from you, but also from the drums and guitars.

Anyway, aside from that the songs are actually pretty good and your singer has the right voice for the music, so keep up the good work.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
I dig the tone, it would help if you boosted the mids a little to cut through but overall I think its a good sound. I would prefer to be heard a little more if I were you but thats just me. Congrats on the demo release; your band is pretty sweet if I do say so myself.