i just got my boss ds-1 pedal today but it doesnt sound good at all
i've played it at guitar center [same exact pedal] and it sounds great
i have a fender strat and a line 6 spider 3- 15 watt [the distorion on the amp sounds good]
i also have a crybaby wah

but the boss ds-1 distortion sounds like crap
any suggestions [like knob settings] and other stuff i could do to make it sound better
It's because...

A) Line 6 Spiders sound like crap - even worse when you try to put external FX through them

and

B) The DS-1 is only good, IME, for using super low gain settings to tighten up an existing OD channel.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
It's because...

A) Line 6 Spiders sound like crap - even worse when you try to put external FX through them

and

B) The DS-1 is only good, IME, for using super low gain settings to tighten up an existing OD channel.

Nailed it.
pedals generally don't work well with modelling amps. the spider isn't a great amp, and the ds-1 isn't a great pedal.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by The_Bosstone
Nailed it.

indeed.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Return it for a Digitech Grunge. I had better results with that on a Spider II then the DS-1. Of course, the DS-1 sounds way better then the Grunge, modded of course.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
You have **** gear would be my first impression.

DS-1's work extremely better with a Keeley Mod and a nice tube amp

The Spider III is....well....

crap.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Yeah, I had a Spider 3 a while back and my DS-1 wasn't any good through it. Now that I have a tube amp, my (unmodded) DS-1 sounds a lot better. The problem is that a DS-1 sounds best going through a tube amp.

What amp did you play it through at Guitar Center?
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Quote by Hesh_09
Yeah, I had a Spider 3 a while back and my DS-1 wasn't any good through it. Now that I have a tube amp, my (unmodded) DS-1 sounds a lot better. The problem is that a DS-1 sounds best going through a tube amp.

What amp did you play it through at Guitar Center?

Probably anything BUT a spider III
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
lol you should have used the cash you wasted on the ds-1 to go twards a valve junior or a black heart or a blackstar ht-5 or something.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
i though it was the crappy line 6
i new that was probably it
but im gonna keep my ds-1 until i get a new amp
Ds1 used to sound better it seems it was my first distortion unit back in the 1990s, but now they seem to lack ballz ( hard to put into words). They seem to sound much better at higher volumes like when you are in the store. their os-2 and turbo distortion sound pretty good in my opinion. if you do not want to put all that out, you can find a couple places on ebay that offer the modification service and ship it back to you, but i have not used the service. There might even be a person or two on here that can mod it for you.
Quote by edge11
lol you should have used the cash you wasted on the ds-1 to go twards a valve junior or a black heart or a blackstar ht-5 or something.

+109393483, or even a vypyr or cube
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.