Basically I want to write all that remains type solos, I've been failing terribly. I can write like slow solos like bluesy kinda but when it comes to writing a fast solo I'm lost. Basically I just want a guideline on how to make one, no stupid answers please cos this is driving me nuts
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Learn their solos?

Sounds like a good place to start...
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
practice. learn the solos from all that remains, and your other favorite bands. That's really all there is to it. Just keep practicing. Soon you won't even "write" solos, you'll just improvise them on the spot.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
just play what you feel like playing that sounds cool, start a little slower, then speed it up.
start with licks...try make up a few licks then put em together. It ain't a good solo but its a start. Try see how they create their solos and importantly try improve your speed with scale practice etc. I'm not a great guitarist btw :-P good luck neway
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Dude I used to have a similar problem, because i learned to improvise using the a minor blues pentatonic. Basically now, i just play a cross between A harmonic minor and blues scales (as an example, i don't just play in A). Just make yourself a backing track on Guitar Pro or something like that, or record your own, and just play around with scales and stuff. It'll come eventually, you can't force thing to happen. (I should know, i've tried enough)
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
that's exactly the thing, I learnt the pentatonic scale and practises it for months, and tbh I don't want my solos to sound like that, oh and another thing I keep learning scales but all I do is just play the scale but like I'll go up 3 notes then back 1 then repeat this and my improvisation revolves around this :s
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Put the guitar down for a while and use your head instead.

You need to really get yourself thinking musically - the guitar is just getting in the way at the moment because all you're doing is falling into familiar patterns without really thinking about it or listening to what comes out. Once you've got you've actually got some music in your head...then you can start to worry about how to get it out through your guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
When im writing solos for like metal songs and i just put in cool little licks and then i make a little solo riff to connect them
Quote by t0m_r0cks
that's exactly the thing, I learnt the pentatonic scale and practises it for months, and tbh I don't want my solos to sound like that, oh and another thing I keep learning scales but all I do is just play the scale but like I'll go up 3 notes then back 1 then repeat this and my improvisation revolves around this :s

How long have you been playing?
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by King Twili
How long have you been playing?

A year in April
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Playing really fast stuff up and down a scale and sweeping arpeggios make up a lot of the shred-type solos I think your referring to. I agree that you should put down the guitar for a bit, I write the music for my band but I don't play guitar at all and I write solos like this for us all the time (although I suppose whether they are good or not is debatable, my band agrees that they fit).
Quote by steven seagull

You need to really get yourself thinking musically - the guitar is just getting in the way at the moment because all you're doing is falling into familiar patterns without really thinking about it or listening to what comes out. Once you've got you've actually got some music in your head...then you can start to worry about how to get it out through your guitar.

Yeah, I like this method alot just tried it and made some riffs I just read guitar world alot and I'll always read an article that says I just play what I feel I tried that but it didn't work which lead to bad playing habits which developed into frustration
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Quote by t0m_r0cks
Yeah, I like this method alot just tried it and made some riffs I just read guitar world alot and I'll always read an article that says I just play what I feel I tried that but it didn't work which lead to bad playing habits which developed into frustration

It is pretty early days for you to be completely shredding, I'd work on my rhythm capabilities for a little longer before you start shredding, because it's not the notes per second, it's whether it sounds good and is fun to play.

KingEdit: Wrong quote, read up a lil
Quote by King Twili
It is pretty early days for you to be completely shredding, I'd work on my rhythm capabilities for a little longer before you start shredding, because it's not the notes per second, it's whether it sounds good and is fun to play.

KingEdit: Wrong quote, read up a lil

Could you say what I should be able to play (solo wise) from my experience? When I say this I mean soloing techniques such as sweeping etc
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Quote by t0m_r0cks
Could you say what I should be able to play (solo wise) from my experience? When I say this I mean soloing techniques such as sweeping etc

Well you should obviously be able to bend and hammer on correctly, as well as double stops etc. As for sweeping, it's not something thats completely necessary for a solo to sound good. I'd say at this stage you'd be best off working on alternate picking and scale fragments, which can really help you with speeding up.
I found the best thing for learning how to break out of a scale is to play it over and over, starting with the lowest root note, work your way to the highest note then back down to the lowest. Now start playing it with "modifiers" eg. Play 4 notes then play the last 3 of the section you just played and then the one after it and continue until this is also comfortable.
Other ones I like are missing every 3rd or 5th note, or even every other note in some scales.

I found that this made me more fluent with the scale, not just runniung up and down it, but moving all over the section. Then start to link into other nearby sections, doing simiar kind of stuff and eventually you can pull off solo's and not worry f they sound too much like ascending/descending scales
thanks guys will definetly put these in to practise
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Quote by t0m_r0cks

There's nothing you "should" be able to play. You can play whatever you've practiced enough, you can't play the stuff you haven't...if YOU'RE writing a solo then you'd be downright stupid to include any techniques you don't know or parts you can't play

Write solos with your own technical limitations in mind, if you use your common sense you shouldn't have any problems.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by t0m_r0cks
thanks guys will definetly put these in to practise

I've just got to say, you've got soem pretty expensive gear for someone who's been play for only a year.

Well, more expensive than mine...
Dont worry, its a practice thing. The more solos you learn from other bands, the more inspired you will become and it will soon come natrually.
Quote by steven seagull

Do this