Apologies if such requests are dealt with in other threads, but i was basically wanting a list off you guys of what in your opinion some of the hardest songs to play are
I'm into virtually any genre, and I hear the best way of improving at any instrument is looking at lots of different music forms

If you'd be able to share some tabs that would also be awesome, but song ideas would be just as good, I'm just really after a challenge at the moment

thanks in advance all
mite here this one a lot, but avenged sevenfold - afterlife

solo is pretty mental.
36 Crazyfists
Trivium
Machine Head
August Burns Red

And I like my penis. Because of it's existence, every morning I can look past the man thongs, pink duvet cover and a-Ha CDs and say to myself, "You're a man."

Quote by P-H-O-B-I-A
mite here this one a lot, but avenged sevenfold - afterlife

solo is pretty mental.

A7X != hard, I checked out the solo you are talking about, its 32nd notes at 110bpm which is doable if you practice.

Check out these songs if you want a challenge:

-Blitzkrieg by Malmsteen
-Born by Nevermore
-Black Gold Reign by All Shall Perish
-Twilight of the Thunder God by Amon Amarth (the lead guitar)
-Nihility by Decapitated
-Entwined by Vengeance by Vital Remains
-The Book by Vader
-The Weak Willed by All That Remains
-The Gunslinger by Demons and Wizards

If you want go get your chops up in terms of riffing, like learning how to play complicated riffs with plenty of finger changes/etc your best friend is an album called "Ashes of the Wake", all I can say is that after learning the songs from that album a few years ago my playing exploded, before I learned that stuff I always had trouble learning riffs. Of course this depends on how good of a player you are already, you might look at the album and say its too easy or the complete opposite. Since I don't know how good you are I'm just putting it out there, just something to look at I guess.

and anything by Jeff Loomis

To the original poster, if you want hard stuff to play, here's my practice book as I call it, great for practicing sweeps. I update it every month with new stuff to learn that keeps me challenged and gives me a chance to really learn my techniques. This one that I've uploaded is from a 2 years ago when I first started sweeping, I've added in a new sweep in there for ya since you can't find it on UG (at least I don't think you can) by Jeff Loomis.

If you dont' have guitar pro, get a program called tux guitar (google it), its free and it lets you open guitar pro files. Hope this helped.
Attachments:
practice book.zip
Last edited by cptazad at Mar 26, 2009,
excellento, I shall have to print off this list I think and do a lot of CD burning to practice against
The Symphony X one should be good, I have the odd album of theres, and thanks very much to the guy above, thats most helpful,I've heard of the odd one of those songs but most of them are completely new to me + I will enjoy having a look at your practice book when I get home from school tommorrow, got a fairly shortday so should be able to get cracking on these

I do quite a lot of keyboarding, it probably being my stronger instrument, so In some cases I'm going to try and practice these on Keys (especially the soloey parts), even though there guitar parts I think they will be very useful in building up my speed
Quote by Fletchreborn
excellento, I shall have to print off this list I think and do a lot of CD burning to practice against
The Symphony X one should be good, I have the odd album of theres, and thanks very much to the guy above, thats most helpful,I've heard of the odd one of those songs but most of them are completely new to me + I will enjoy having a look at your practice book when I get home from school tommorrow, got a fairly shortday so should be able to get cracking on these

I do quite a lot of keyboarding, it probably being my stronger instrument, so In some cases I'm going to try and practice these on Keys (especially the soloey parts), even though there guitar parts I think they will be very useful in building up my speed

I think if you practiced some of the sweeped parts on keys, it would sound freaking awesome. If you do learn these on keyboard do me a favor and record them and put them up on youtube or something, I would very much like to see what the solos sound like on a keyboard, probably really cool!
Yeah sure mate, I'd love to!
quite often keyboards get bad press in metal and that so it would be awesome to show that we can do things well, I think part of the problems stems from bands like Dragonforce, tbh he's an okay keyboardist but his soloing tone sounds horrific and cheesy
I buy guitar techniques magazine sometimes to practice some of the exercises, I'm not too bad at fast lead style playing, but I think I could do with improving my ideas, quite often i'll just be doing arpeggios, so hopefully some of these tabs will give me new ideas

I'm not just after soloey type stuff though, I've got the tabs for a few machine head songs to improve my left hand rythmn playing

current songs which I'm practicing include:

Clenching The Fists Of Dissent
Halo
Enter Sandman (riff is fairly easy, solos a pain)
+ a few others

and obviously now I have plenty more to add to the list thanks to all of you above
Last edited by Fletchreborn at Mar 27, 2009,
Check out Colorado Bulldog by Mr Big (or anything from Paul Gilbert for that matter :P) And I'm busy with learning the solo from Dominion (by Scar Symmetry) that tab is on here. Also things from Sonata Arctica are pretty intense haha, especially because the previous guitarist (that did all the CD's) was self thought so you come across some pretty unlogical thing (in my opinion :P) Good luck on your quest mate! Cheers
Check out my band (epic folk/death metal) at www.amorgen.org and add us to your favorite social networks!

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C7
Ibanez RG 2620
ENGL Powerball 2
ENGL 2 x 12" PRO Slanted E212VH
TC Electronic G-major 2
Behringer FCB1010
thanks again, yeah not heard much Gilbert tbh
Sonata Arctica are quite good, some challenging solos in there
all good ideas

I might see what can be done to slipknot later, cant see that working well at all to be honest, but i'll have a see

most guitar techniques can be replicated on keys to some extent (apart from pinched harmonics, though im still looking for methods) , and currently I'm running through a Boss GT-8 which is great for delay and wah
Last edited by Fletchreborn at Mar 27, 2009,