If I were to record through the computer, would it sound the same as through an amp?

I'm interested in computer recording, but am unsure if the sound quality will be as good as an amp. I would love to use an amp, however given the living conditions I am unable to record successfully (and peacefully) so I must use a computer.

I've heard a lot about audio devices that connect to the guitar and then to the computer. Anyone have any experience with anything that works well?
If you get a good piece of modelling kit, such as a Line 6 Studio Pod, then yes you can get something that gonna sound pretty good.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
No, you can try amp modeler but that's as good as it can get. Straight into the computer alone just sounds terrible.
short answer: no,

long answer: modeling software has come a long way in recent years but its still not convincing enough. Peavey Revalver MkIII is the current leader of the pack, but the limitations of the "impulse" technology that all modelers depend on for cabinet simulation are a big problem as it stands. so ya, you can get some good tones but it'll never really sound like a real amp.
I own a bunch of them (Guitar Rig, Amplitube, Nomad's Rock Amp Legends, GTR, etc) and just purchased Overloud's TH1.1 last week after trying the demo out. It blows all of em away in my book including Revalver MKIII (only have the demo of it). It has so many features it would take a lot of typing to go through em all. The SLR mode allows you to "morph" 2 amps, The cabs are unbelievably realistic - it can load IR's too, the stomps and rack effects are superb, and it sounds like a real amp. Also you can view your entire rig in real 3D like you would in real life - in a chain that you can swap and change at will. You'd swear in this darkassed computer room I'm in there's a full stack hidden under the desk. I have 6 amps and love em all and TH1 is my #7. It's more than a sim - it's an amp! Try the demo and experiment a bit - also click on the SEARCH button to see all the presets. You can even click "LISTEN" on the preset page and click any sound to hear it without having to load it... It ain't cheap but man oh man I love this thing. I have Amplitube FENDER and thought it was the best till I heard TH1 - bought it 4 days later. Also their Tech Support is great - they email you back everytime and even check back to see if you're OK. They're in Italy so the time is totally different to me in Florida but they get back to me everytime I've emailed and now we actually email a lot back and forth - they just sent me some comparison demos some dude in Italy did with the Acoustic presets and they are FINE. I'll ask if I can share them and if so I'll post em.

I'm in no way connected to them or an employee or anything but I'm definitely a customer for life. It's AMZING!

They have their own section now on GuitarAmpModeling's forums and I believe FrugalGuitar will be doing a review shortly.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Mar 28, 2009,
You can get pretty damn close. I've heard samples of Revalver that some dude tweaked the hell out of and it sounded pretty good. He used a bunch of other stuff too, new impulses, eq pre and post and other things.

But ofcourse you need decent gear and a decent guitar/pickups. And you need to be a good player
Quote by pwrmax
No, you can try amp modeler but that's as good as it can get. Straight into the computer alone just sounds terrible.

Just sounds terrible? In all honesty your a fool. Iv been using POD Farm for a while now and its excellent, can't say a bad thing about it. Check out the songs in my profile if you want proof. Besides this guys probably on a budget, my advise is check out the Line6 interface range and the stand alone version of guitar rig.
: )
Quote by stratacaster
Just sounds terrible? In all honesty your a fool. Iv been using POD Farm for a while now and its excellent, can't say a bad thing about it. Check out the songs in my profile if you want proof. Besides this guys probably on a budget, my advise is check out the Line6 interface range and the stand alone version of guitar rig.

I think he was refering to the usual 1/4inch jack -> pc soundcard failism that goes on around here.