I'd prime it and use spray paint. Cover the whole guitar in paper or masking tape then super carefully cut out a puzzle piece shape with a scalpel or craft knife make sure the edges are taped down spray over, sorted. Im not sure if this is the right way to go about it but this is all i know.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Be carefull doing so. Also remember the clear coat.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Oosh.
I'd prime it and use spray paint. Cover the whole guitar in paper or masking tape then super carefully cut out a puzzle piece shape with a scalpel or craft knife make sure the edges are taped down spray over, sorted. Im not sure if this is the right way to go about it but this is all i know.

^^ kind of like this, but you prime it, paint it the main color, in the example it's orange. Let that few coats fully cure, remember: the paint hasn't cured when the guitar feels dry, curing takes at least 3 days after the last coat has been applied. tape over the whole area where the pattern will be, then newspaper (at least 3 layers deep) the rest of the guitar. Use a hobby knife (with a fresh blade) to cut out the pieces, one color at a time, working from lightest to darkest (in the example it would be tan, purple, blue, red, black), letting the guitar cure between each color, then tape over the completed pieces and cut the next color. Then go over it with fine steel wool to get rid of the raised edges around the different color. I'd do the detailing (stuff inside the pieces) with a brush, same with the black line around all the pieces, let cure, sand with the steel wool again. Then pile on the poly, cut, polish, and your done.
As above, but use painters 3M blue plastic Fine Line tape for the edges, then mask up the other areas with heavy paper that won't soak the paint up.

It's more complicated, but I can't be arsed to go into detail. Check the Ultimate Painting and Refinishing Thread and look for some of my posts in there.
Quote by Skeet UK
As above, but use painters 3M blue plastic Fine Line tape for the edges, then mask up the other areas with heavy paper that won't soak the paint up.

It's more complicated, but I can't be arsed to go into detail. Check the Ultimate Painting and Refinishing Thread and look for some of my posts in there.
And if you're going to do as Crash Matto did and use Krylon (old Acrylic Lacquer) and Rustoleum, etc. you can also use other brands as long as it says, for Acrylic Paint. I've used the Dollar Store variety but then I'm patient.

Check out my Crash mods when I was starting to get into refinishing.