I used to break strings, but I don't seem do replace them when I do that now. I just replace them when they start to get really icky.

I guess I don't break them as much cause I have 3 guitars now.

I have 10's on my MIM and 12's on my Ibanez and Acoustic. Any explanation on why I don't break strings very often? I play everyday.
A big part of string wear is wiping the strings dry after playing so your sweat does not corrode them. i know that and still forget to do that from time to time.
I swear there's a thread like this every other day...
I change them whenever they start looking rusty...
Quote by mexican_shred
^oh jesus christ . just because it has the same brand name and a remotely same name doesnt make it at all the same. its like saying a cat is like a human because its a mammal.
every 3 months. Unless i want to go to a thicker grade or a pickup swap or any of those kinda of things.

You might not break them often because you can tune your guitar well or just because you use thicker gauges. I wouldnt question it. I havent snapped a guitar string in about 2-3 years
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by britishsligean
maybe because you've improved alot

That would put less wear on my strings?
I change my strings when the sweat and skin is apart of the strings, and you can actually feel the texture is different.
I change them every time i break one... usually you can see when your strings are getting worn down. The parts of the string where you pick most often will be worn the most. If they start going out of tune faster then usual then thats also a pretty good sign they need to be replaced.
Quote by jjhand
A big part of string wear is wiping the strings dry after playing so your sweat does not corrode them. i know that and still forget to do that from time to time.

Do u just rub a clean sock on top of them?
Lol, wow, you guys going for monthes with out changing your strings is crazy. They sound so dead. I honestly change my strings about once a week, sometimes every other week.
I try to change as often as I can, there is a point when strings get worn out and don't hold tune or tune well at all. Plus when they start to wear out they will cause extra soreness in your finger tips.
Quote by Bree!Bree!
Lol, wow, you guys going for monthes with out changing your strings is crazy. They sound so dead. I honestly change my strings about once a week, sometimes every other week.

Thats kinda needless... But whatever makes you happy!
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
i use elixirs so about onces a month. general good maintance of the guitar will keep strings for long. also depends on how much you play. if its like a hour a day then every 3 months isnt that long but if you play 3 hours a day or play a gig or 2 a week then your gonna need to change your strings every couple of weeks.
I change them when I feel gutsy and stupid (Floyd Rose trem... enough said?)

I change mine when they don't feel smooth anymore or when they sound really dead. Varies between 4 months to 12 months.
i restring about every month to month and a half.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
If you play atleast 2 hours every week day, and 5+ on weekend days, you will wear stings out. I noticed the strings become very smoothe were my pick makes contact with they strings, they get 'hand cheese' on them, not because your hands are dirty, but from your fingers rubbing the strings and causing small bits of skin to come off. As well and the sound being dead, they loose their metalic tone, and feel.
I never restring unless I have no choice, i.e. I'm changing the pickups on a guitar so the strings have to come off, or a string breaks.

One of my guitars has had the same strings on it now for about a year and a half.
Most of my guitars have had the same strings for between 4-6 months.
One of my guitars has had the same strings for about two months.

New strings just don't sound or feel anywhere near as good as old strings.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i change them about every 6 months sometimes more if they get really dirty
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
I've broken two strings. Low E string, both on the same song, same bend. LOL

I usually re-string about once every 1-2 months.
PRS SE Custom 24
Albion TCT 35
Focusrite iTrack Solo
every 3 weeks or so?
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
usually every couple of months, but it really varies depending on how much money I have and/or how lazy I am.

bass? Christ, I think I've had the same strings on my basses for 3 or 4 years now... and they still sound good. Thank you Ernie Ball.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
2-3 weeks
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
I change mine about every three or four months. I use Ernie Balls and for me they last forever because my hands don't sweat while I play.
Every two months or so. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

That is, unless I have been playing extremely often, and I can feel and hear the strings going dead. Then I'll just change them. Seriously, strings cost like 5 bucks a pack, and it takes like 10-15 minutes to change them. It's worth the effort.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
When they break. I've never had a string lose tuning stability or tone surprisingly.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Every couple of months or once the sound gets really dulled out. Or when the strings start corroding/rusting.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
usually about every 3-5 weeks because my strings nail up fast whether i clean them properly or not cause of my potent sweat
Gear

Ibanez RG1451 (Bareknuckle Aftermath bridge, Cold Sweat neck)
Jackson DK2T(Bareknuckle Miracle Man bridge,SD Jazz neck)
Ibanez RG321mh(SD JB bridge)
Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's
2-3 weeks, I play 2-5 hours a day, I can't imagine going 6 months without changing strings.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I play an hour a day and change them about every 2 months.

But I have 6 guitars so I don't actually play the same one that whole time.
Last edited by elmo33 at Mar 26, 2009,
Now that I'm playing classical and concentrating less on electric, I change the electric strings every couple months. Not that I really need to since Elixers last so damn long that the only thing that wears away is their coating a bit.
i re string when my strings start sounding dead about every month or so
Ibanez Rg prestige 2550z
Valveking 212