I'm into post-rock/indie stuff and I'm bouncing around the idea of getting just a few pedals (I play bass but am getting a guitar soon too), one effect I'm definately wanting is a delay pedal. My question is what's the difference between the brands for all pedals, like Boss and Line 6 and such? This isn't for delay pedals alone but for all kinds, I've heard countless times that Line 6 make sub-par amps so is the same true for pedals? Do different brands of pedals sound different from others?
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Yes, all pedals will sound different. Here's a rundown of each major companies' quality based on building materials and mostly of TONE (these are subjective and my opinions, and an idea of what's on the market NOW)

Line 6 - IMO line 6 stompboxes suck, rack effects are pretty good (but that's to be expected with rack effects), with floor multi effects you usually can't switch all the different types of effects (the whole point of getting a multiFX for live use anyway), non floor multi effects are good for recording and practicing, some of it is too digital, but it all depends on personal taste. Their higher end stuff is definitely better (but that's with a lot of pedals)

Boss - The new ones tend to olor your tone because they aren't true bypass (although some of the older ones can sound quite nice with a buffer) and they almost never sound like something to be used on stage. The older ones are definitely better and they still make good noise suppressors, eq's and the like. But if you like your tone I wouldn't go for one of the new ones.

Digitech - The X series and the artist series pedals are worth a pass, and the floor multi effects are cheaply built, and have a very digital sound (RP especially), except some of their rack processsors and their new Hardwire series (which i believe were bought from a boutique guy and manufactured under the digitech name).

MXR - Their stuff is almost always pretty good, their pedal EQ's are the best, and they make some great stompboxes. Good distortions and modulations alike. One of the best pedal companies and I would recommend them to anyone. The company is now owned by Dunlop (happy nightraven?). Their effects don't tend to color your tone as much as say, a Boss would and the EQ's are widely clebrated due to their reliability and if you play around with one, you can take out the more nasty tones of an amp and bring the better ones to the forefront. They can also be used as a boost during solos.

Rocktron - Pretty hit and miss. What's bad is pretty bad and what's good is pretty good. Their distortions are usually at least decent, and they have some ok mod pedals. Their noise gate is something I would stay away from though. They tend to be on the bulky side, but it's a small price to pay.

Danelectro - They make decent, cheap pedals (cool cats). But they don't last long if you actually stomp on them pretty hard and have weird adapters (18v instead of 9, which is common on most small effects). I wouldn't recommend unless you have a low budget or are just looking to sample what effects you like. I like these better than a new Boss or Digitech due to the fact that they aren't as much of a tone sucker (arguably) and generally provide a warmer, better tone.

Electro Harmonix - One of my favorites. They make really nice modulation pedals (chorus, delay, etc), and their Muff pedals are extremely good (Big Muff, Metal Muff, etc), though I'm not a huge fan of the nano series because of the limitations they offer, but they're still decent. But they tend to emulate designs from the 70s, so it's something to consider if you don't like a vintage tone.

Maxon - They make an amazing overdrive called the OD808, and their products are pretty rock solid and sound extremely good. In general the distortions and overdrives are great, and the mod pedals are great too. One exception is their EQ. Still good, but I would go with MXR's EQ pedals. All built extremely well and get the job done, and most are pretty versatile. They are a little on the expensive side though.

Of course, those are the major pedal companies that you will see in guitar center (the major music store in my area). I didn't mention Blackstar, Ibanez, Tech 21 etc or boutique brands/builders like Zvex, Analogman, or Frantone (God rest her soul) because this guy obviously doesn't know much about pedals and isn't an expert.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Last edited by CullenT at Mar 26, 2009,
Line 6 makes excellent delay and reverb pedals, which are often the cornerstone of bands in that style's sound. Most common are the DL4, Verbzilla, and Echo Park.

In terms of differences between brands, it's mostly just the pedal layout and the types of features you get with the pedal.

Delay is pretty important for post rock and indie stuff, so I'd recommend looking at getting at least one first. Reverb and fuzz (or various types of dirt) are pretty important as well.

The best thing you can do to gain knowledge about this sort of stuff is to read lots of threads about this sort of style and these sorts of pedals, then go out and try as much gear out as you possibly can, and draw your own conclusions as to whether it is suitable or not. I recommend hanging around the "Gear for Post Rock" thread.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Well, it depends. Sometimes it is best to use them yourself and see which pedal you like. Boss does make some of the best pedals, but many of the other companies like digitech, DOD, Line 6, and Behringer are coming out with good pedals too. It just depends on which type of pedal that you want, and if you want a vintage analog delay or a electronic one and how much delay do you want (multiple echoes or slapback echo, 3+ second delays?, etc).
Well, if your in the market for delay pedals, you should be looking at wiether its digital or analog delay. Analog delay is a lot more authentic, but it is more expensive. Digital delay isn't bad, Im actually a fan of the boss delay pedals. If the price is in the same area, always go with analog though. (If you want some real delay look at tube or tape delay. You might have a heart attack once you see the price though)

Now to actually answer yes question. As long as the brands fall in the same category (Digital or analog), Theres not a huge difference. I do think the boss digital delay is better than the line 6 delay. Always remember, try before you buy.
Quote by CullenT
Yes, all pedals will sound different. Here's a rundown of each major companies' quality based on building materials and mostly of TONE

I'm sorry, but everything you've posted has no relevance. No one is going to learn anything by you saying what is "good" and what isn't.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
I'm sorry, but everything you've posted has no relevance. No one is going to learn anything by you saying what is "good" and what isn't.

Obviously he didn't know much, so i was trying to give him a good answer on which pedals to stay away from so he didn't waste money. I answered his question that all pedals are going to sound different.

Asshole.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
Obviously he didn't know much, so i was trying to give him a good answer on which pedals to stay away from so he didn't waste money. I answered his question that all pedals are going to sound different.

Asshole.

So he's not going to buy any Boss, Line 6, Danelectro, or Digitech pedals? That's what your post was telling him. I was trying to point out that he would gain a lot more experience if he was to learn these things by himself, which is why I told him to do some research and come to his own conclusions.

Clearly you don't have much experience with this sort of thing.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I don't know what your budget is but really look into the line 6 dl4. Amazing versatility and tones at a decent price. A LOT of post-rock guys use the dl4, as well as guitarists that span many other genres.

Also, there's a 'gear for post-rock thread' that's like a zillion pages long, slowly read through some of the posts there for some recommendations on gear for the music you wanna play. (don't think im telling you to read the whole thread, just browse through it every once in a while, you can learn a lot).

good luck.
Quote by nightraven
are you serious? please do some learning before you post horrible generalisations like that ever again. in fact. never ever post generalisations like that again. god some of the stuff you've said is so blatantly moronic!

And would you care to give me a reason? I said those are my opinions, and lie to me and say that digitech pedals (excluding hardwire) and boss pedals are the best you can get.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
And would you care to give me a reason? I said those are my opinions, and lie to me and say that digitech pedals (excluding hardwire) and boss pedals are the best you can get.

You seriously are an idiot. What pedal has better pitch shifting sounds for Shoegaze than the Boss PS-3's Mode 7? The new Eventide Pitchfactor? Good thing it's only $500. How many analog delays are based off of the Boss DM-2? How many pedals do you know that have the Feedbacker option like the DF-2? Find me a pedal that can come close to my Digitech PDS 20/20, and I'll take back everything I've said and bow down to you.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by brkwdballer1891
i love boss's digital delays.. they all sound STERILE AND DIGITAL

fixed
Quote by xwearesinking
You seriously are an idiot. What pedal has better pitch shifting sounds for Shoegaze than the Boss PS-3's Mode 7? The new Eventide Pitchfactor? Good thing it's only $500. How many analog delays are based off of the Boss DM-2? How many pedals do you know that have the Feedbacker option like the DF-2? Find me a pedal that can come close to my Digitech PDS 20/20, and I'll take back everything I've said and bow down to you.

I gave him an idea of what's on the market and what will be at your local music store NOW. Not a hard-to-find series of pedals like the Digitech PDS series, not a rare run of something that is now not in production like the DF-2, and not a boss PS-3.

So stop being so elitist because you think your opinion of certain brands of pedals outweighs mine. The older digitech pedals are good (and like, and your PDS 20/20 isn't the best thing to ever hit the guitar market (it's a great pedal, but not the godsend to delay pedals), and neither are most boss pedals today.

EDIT: I also don't like Multi-Effects because MOST of the low end stuff is a trick to try to get kids to buy them because they have a million effects built in. They sound too digital and thin, and in my opinion nothing comes close to an analog pedal (I would rather have 8 or so good analog pedals that are true bypass, than have one big multi effects unit). It's personal preference. There is a disclaimer that says THESE ARE MY OPINIONS. Read it.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Last edited by CullenT at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by nightraven
the boss rrv-10 is hands down the best reverb ever made

sunshine, you gave threadstarter a completely warped view of pedals coming from someone whose rig demonstrates a complete lack of experience compared to someone like Deniz

time to give up

the rr-v is definitely NOT the best rr-v EVER made. To me, a boutique VanAmps SoleMate will kick the ass of a boss rr-v any day of the week.

And excuse me for not having the best gear known to man kind. I'm in the process of upgrading and selling off old shi*t that I hardly use or have grown to dislike. I definitely have spent my time trying out everything I can in any music store I can find, and anything I can't get a first hand impression on, I find information or demos on it. I don't claim to be a genius, but I'm sure a lot of people would agree that the Digitech X-series and the CURRENT boss pedals are crap.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
I gave him an idea of what's on the market and what will be at your local music store NOW. Not a hard-to-find series of pedals like the Digitech PDS series, not a rare run of something that is now not in production like the DF-2, and not a boss PS-3.

So stop being so elitist because you think your opinion of certain brands of pedals outweighs mine. The older digitech pedals are good (and like, and your PDS 20/20 isn't the best thing to ever hit the guitar market (it's a great pedal, but not the godsend to delay pedals), and neither are most boss pedals today.

I'm not telling you what is good or what isn't, or comparing the value of my opinion with yours. I'm trying the make the point that (here, I'll make it clear for you)...

THE TS NEEDS TO COME TO HIS OWN CONCLUSIONS.

You asked for examples of pedals, and I gave them to you. If you actually know how to use the internet, a Boss PS-3, DF-2, DM-2 or Digitech PDS 20/20 are not actually that hard to find, at all. There are probably at least 5 of each of them on ebay, with the exception of the maybe PDS 20/20, at any given point in time.

By the way you make it sound, it's like any pedal not currently in production has ceased to exist, and fallen off the face of the earth. There's a reason why these pedals are still used extensively.

I don't use the PDS 20/20 as a delay btw.

edit: I like how you edited your first post to make it seem like you weren't as biased and stubborn. It's funny, because it shows you realized your mistake and tried to cover it up. Please swallow your pride before this turns into an even bigger mess.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last edited by xwearesinking at Mar 26, 2009,
Ok lets stop fighting and lets help the TS this is becoming anoying
Quote by nightraven
OK firstly, it's "RRV-10" - not "rr-v" - it's a rackmount digital reverb, not a tube spring reverb - it's not at all comparable to your fancy boutique expensive toy. if i wanted top quality spring reverb i'd get myself a big spring reverb unit.

yes, the majority of the current Boss pedals aren't high-end, they're usable for beginners, but you phrased your post so poorly, indicating that you believed that ALL Boss pedals were abysmal - it doesn't take a genius to put together a coherent point.

Excuse me for misspelling the name of a rackmount reverb. I may as well get my pannies in a wad since you did because of one mistake. And if you call the RRV-10 (happy now?) the BEST REVERB EVER MADE, then you didn't specify on which type of reverb you were talking about.

I'll agree i phrased it wrong originally, and corrected a lot of it as i went. The point i was trying to make is that when you blow your money on the current boss pedals or the digitech pedals from circa 2003-2007/8, you will be ultimately dissatisfied with them when you realize that they are cheap, too sterile, and not the best choice on the market. The whole reason to come to GG&A is so you won't be suckered in by a greedy music store employee. Why should he have to go through the period that a lot of people get stuck in where they hate their beginner gear?
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
Excuse me for misspelling the name of a rackmount reverb. I may as well get my pannies in a wad since you did because of one mistake. And if you call the RRV-10 (happy now?) the BEST REVERB EVER MADE, then you didn't specify on which type of reverb you were talking about.

I'll agree i phrased it wrong originally, and corrected a lot of it as i went. The point i was trying to make is that when you blow your money on the current boss pedals or the digitech pedals from circa 2003-2007/8, you will be ultimately dissatisfied with them when you realize that they are cheap, too sterile, and not the best choice on the market. The whole reason to come to GG&A is so you won't be suckered in by a greedy music store employee. Why should he have to go through the period that a lot of people get stuck in where they hate their beginner gear?

Did you read the part of the first post, by the TS, stating that he played post rock? Do you know what that is?

There are usually some pretty unorthodox and very specific sounds in there, and often times the only way to achieve them is with cheap pedals. How can you honestly say what a "waste of money" is for another person?

The point I've been trying to make to YOU, is that you can't tell people what is good and what isn't, you can only enable them to find out for them selves.

It's sort of like that "teach a man to fish, he eats for a life time" proverb.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by nightraven
i wouldn't have been surprised that you'd mix up the rrv-10 with the rv-5 ¬_¬
besides with all your research and knowledge, surely you'd at least be able to pull a google search to find out what it was.

because PERHAPS threadstarter does not have $1100 to spend on a fulltone TTE for his first delay pedal!

I knew what it was, you didn't need to inform me dick. Again, don't make generalizations like "best reverb ever made" when you don't specify stopmbox/rackmount or spring/plate/room/hall/digital etc.

and i NEVER even mentioned fulltone OR eventide for delay. Honestly and MXR carbon copy is my favorite for anything up to 600ms or a Vox Time Machine if you wanted longer delay.

I would never say you need to spend $200 and up on every pedal you buy, but spending a little more will almost always give you better results with anything in guitar gear (with exceptions of course).
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
...Okay...
So...
Maybe I'll try and answer the question(s) as you people seem to be determined to convince the TS to put down his Explosions in the Sky CD and buy an acoustic guitar.
The main difference between brands is not tone, but rather, function. A delay pedal by Boss will not do everything a delay pedal by Line-6 will do and vice-versa. In addition, a brand cannot simply be said to have better tone than another brand. This is too general a statement. One Boss delay (DL-4) will sound radically different, and have a much different function in your board than another delay (DD-6).

When shopping for effects, it is important for you to determine what you want to do before you buy a pedal, so that you can make sure the pedal you buy is compatible with your needs. Otherwise, you will either be limited by the pedal's options, or else forced to purchase another stompbox. The same kind of effects box (let's say a reverb) can really differ radically from other pedals of its kind. For example, I use reverse reverb more often than any other kind. Very few reverbs have a reverse mode. Buying just any reverb wouldn't have worked for me; I had to narrow them down to the most affordable that did have reverse-reverb (which only left me with 2-3 options).

So make sure you take your time and think out your sound before you begin buying the boxes needed to achieve it.
Cullen T, that actually the exact responce I was hoping for, I'm only halfway through the thread so far but why are people ripping on him? We don't need a flamefest here kiddies, I'm just looking for general advice and what experiences people have had with certain pedals.

Yeah I'm looking through the Post-Rock thread, but it's a BIG thread to go through so it'll take a while.

Are there any companies that make a bass delay and bass reverb pedals? I'm worried about running my bass through a guitar pedal and ruining it.

EDIT: Okay, read everything thus far, more things to state.

I always thought pedals were either like $50 a pop or $100 if you wanted to get fancy. So probably $50 each sounds about right.

I mostly like indie rock, but I also enjoy some more "out there" and obscure stuff like Animal Collective and Clinic for example, not too sure what catagory the fall into.

I'd like to get this thread going again, some information would be nice instead of argueing.
Quote by Sguit
Ok lets stop fighting and lets help the TS this is becoming anoying
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Last edited by Helbent Revenge at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by Helbent Revenge
Cullen T, that actually the exact responce I was hoping for, I'm only halfway through the thread so far by why are people ripping on him? We don't need a flamefest here kiddies, I'm just looking for general advice and what experiences people have had with certain pedals.

Yeah I'm looking through the Post-Rock thread, but it's a BIG thread to go to so it'll take a while.

Are there any companies that make a bass delay and bass reverb pedals? I'm worried about running my bass through a guitar pedal and ruining it.

The problem with his response, even though it's quick and easy, is that it's very biased, which is what I tried to point out. If you're going to be playing this sort of music, you're probably going to want to look at Boss, Line 6 and Digitech (more so than the brands he praised) for the best types of sounds.

Example: Explosions in the Sky use Line 6 Verbzillas and Maxon doesn't make a reverb pedal.

Delay and reverb are time based effects, they'll act the same for bass and guitar.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking

Delay and reverb are time based effects, they'll act the same for bass and guitar.

And that's probably why I haven't seen any of those types of pedals for bass. So I could use those pedals if I had both a guitar and bass (I probably won't be driving them too hard, just experimenting at home).
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by Helbent Revenge
And that's probably why I haven't seen any of those types of pedals for bass. So I could use those pedals if I had both a guitar and bass (I probably won't be driving them too hard, just experimenting at home).

You can't really break a pedal the same way a guitar amp would be broken with a bass guitar. But yeah..
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....