Hey guys, recently a friend of mine introduced me to boosty collins and have been really diggin funk and wanna start learnin some on bass, but dont know what other funk bands to listen to. if you could recommend some other stuff for me to listen to, along the lines of bootsy, i would really appreciate it
Quote by Swat Man
if you get an MG you support terrorism
Tower of Power is the way forward.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412

Yes check this band out they are the funk.
*prepares for the RHCP are not funk comments*

Tower of Power, Larry Graham's Graham Central Station, The Meters, The Ohio Players, James Brown's JBs (which Bootsy was a member of), Sly and The Family Stone, the Bamboos, the Brothers Johnson, Isley Brothers, Average Whilte Band.
Quote by fleajr_1412

thank you! just took a listen to a few of their songs and had to buy an album or two from them! great stuff right there

Quote by Z0S07657
Red Hot Chili Peppers
For Sure!!!

while i do love the chili peppers and feel that they are funky in their own right, i just dont quite see them as the pure funk im lookin for, but thanks for the recommendations and keep em comin!
Quote by Swat Man
if you get an MG you support terrorism
Quote by Z0S07657
Red Hot Chili Peppers
For Sure!!!

Yea, I personally wouldn't call them proper funk, they're suppose to be "funk-punk" or something but that lost that style more than 15 years ago IMO; now they're just alternative rock with some occasional funk elements. That said, in terms of learning bass, RHCP are a great place to start for funk because Flea does incorporate a lot of it into his playing, more so than the others. RHCP is also good stuff to learn for bass anyway cause Flea is a good bass player and writes some good stuff, good for improving intermediate-level skills.
check out:
sly and the family stone
robert randolph and the family band
karl densons tiny universe
george clinton and the parliment funkadelic

also early incubus had a nice funk bass undertone to alot of their songs, along with rhcp.

edit: stevie wonder had some funky songs, "higher ground" and "master blaster" to name a few
Last edited by chris024 at Mar 26, 2009,
I'm so glad that The Bamboos have found a little home here.

I always say this when somebody wants an introduction to funk - although he isn't a "funk" player, learning at least a little bit about James Jamerson and his style can help immensely in the funk of things. They didn't call Motown's studio band the Funk Brothers for nothing - Jamerson can show you how to groove like a beast.
Quote by anarkee

Tower of Power, Larry Graham's Graham Central Station, The Meters, The Ohio Players, James Brown's JBs (which Bootsy was a member of), Sly and The Family Stone, the Bamboos, the Brothers Johnson, Isley Brothers, Average Whilte Band.

That sounds like a pretty good mix to keep you going for a while.

IMO Funk is all about feel. Learn some song standards and start applying different rhythms to the riffs you do. After a while you'll have all kinda funktastic stuff coming out
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by anarkee
*prepares for the RHCP are not funk comments*

this.

to the letter.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
So, pretty great afternoon. I've listened to a little Tower of Power in the past but I didn't really appreciate Rocco until I looked at a book that was put out about his playing. After looking at the sheet music, watching some of the videos and spinning their self-titled record for just a few minutes I'm pretty blown away. His playing looks so... effortless, his hand just glide across the strings and fretboard. Freaking ridiculous. I have new heights to aspire to.

I think it might be against the forum rules, and if so I apologize for offering, but: I have a .pdf of the lesson book. If anybody is interested I could host it for a few days. This sucker will whip you into SHAPE to lay down the funk.
Quote by aguacateojos
So, pretty great afternoon. I've listened to a little Tower of Power in the past but I didn't really appreciate Rocco until I looked at a book that was put out about his playing. After looking at the sheet music, watching some of the videos and spinning their self-titled record for just a few minutes I'm pretty blown away. His playing looks so... effortless, his hand just glide across the strings and fretboard. Freaking ridiculous. I have new heights to aspire to.

I think it might be against the forum rules, and if so I apologize for offering, but: I have a .pdf of the lesson book. If anybody is interested I could host it for a few days. This sucker will whip you into SHAPE to lay down the funk.

pfft.

I taught Rocco how to play slap bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Well I taught Stevie how to see...

...needless to say I am NOT a good teacher
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I invented music.

EDIT: On topic, get the feel going. Groove with everything and let the lines flow from your fingers.
Tower Of Power
Sly And The Family Stone
Miles Davis' later work
SMV (all bass band)
RHCP up to BSSM, after that they moved away from funk.
The Roots, more hip hop that funk, but some of the deepest pocket playing you'll find. They're playing on the Jimmy Fallen show these days. Owen Biddle is a very tight bassist.
so much more, but I think you can find your way from there

Good funk bassists to check out

Marcus Miller
Stanley Clarke
Larry Graham
Rocco Prestia
Victor Wooten
many more but those are the biggest names

If you really want some deep grooves, check out any Motown with the funk brothers. If you're not familiar with James Jamerson get to know him, he's the most important bassist in history, the father of modern bass playing, and the deepest groover.
Last edited by Hobble at Apr 3, 2009,
Quote by the humanity
pfft.

I taught Rocco how to play slap bass.

Seeing as how Rocco is a FINGER FUNK player, that makes perfect sense.

If you want a great video on finger funk, Rocco Prestia's is stellar. Its starts off rather easy and then I usually wonder by the end if I should just go back and play rhythm guitar in a punk band again...the man is a funk monster. And a really nice and gracious person.
Quote by anarkee
Seeing as how Rocco is a FINGER FUNK player, that makes perfect sense.

you might have missed the sarcasm there...

or are you questioning my ability to play slap?

I can play all of Tommy the Cat! all!

with my radio anyways...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by anarkee
I'll be forgiving for the wonderful picture of Dee Dee in the Songs thread.

have you already used that Claypool picture? I tried to find one you hadn't already had.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Nope. But its not a very flattering one, lol.

Back to funk. Its really all in the feel. You have to dig the pocket deep and stay there. Or as a former bass teacher told me--play from your ass.
Which is actually a great suggestion that can be interpreted many ways. For me, funk is about playing a show and seeing the booties shake to our groove. If I can feel the dance going through my gluteus then I'm on the right track.