Right, lets get one thing straight IM NOT DOING THIS TO SHOW OFF HOW GOOD/BAD I AM.
right, ive been playing guitar for nearly 11 months now. and my progress is going well
ive learnt a lot of techniques/theory/songs.
i finally got to grips with the One solo and showed it to my music teacher today and he seemed really impressed but he sat me down and said.
"paul, youre playing really great but... i fear youre learning to quick and i think you should just focus on the more basic stuff for the time being. then go on to learning really hard solos/licks/riffs"
so should i follow his advice or....
thanks for the advice
Quote by the.envy
Right, lets get one thing straight IM NOT DOING THIS TO SHOW OFF HOW GOOD/BAD I AM.

sure

anyway, he's right, start off slow, cuz youll miss a TON of stuff if you go for the throat of harder songs. my suggestion (i give this to a ton of people): LEARN BLUES! it is a terrific gateway into so many forms of advanced guitar music, and it definitely defines your feel for the melody.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
well yeah you might miss out that important part of learning where you get rhythm, learn chords and the basic stuff.
But being good at solos can't harm you tho.
You should do both.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by guitarsftw
sure

anyway, he's right, start off slow, cuz youll miss a TON of stuff if you go for the throat of harder songs. my suggestion (i give this to a ton of people): LEARN BLUES! it is a terrific gateway into so many forms of advanced guitar music, and it definitely defines your feel for the melody.

This.

And pretty much everything else he said.

People miss ALOT when they are just focusing which guitar solo they want to learn next (not trying to imply that this is what you're doing). I try to avoid learning guitar solos nowadays and work a lot on developing my own style and experimenting with different styles of music. But different strokes for different folks!
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
You're going to get stuck eventually man. Go back to the basics, learn them, then keep moving. Playing as a guitarist is more than just shredding and sounding cool. You need to be able to keep a rhythm with an entire band, you need to be able to sustain the same riff over and over again, and that's not an easy thing to do.

Take your teacher's advice.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
You're going to get stuck eventually man. Go back to the basics, learn them, then keep moving. Playing as a guitarist is more than just shredding and sounding cool. You need to be able to keep a rhythm with an entire band, you need to be able to sustain the same riff over and over again, and that's not an easy thing to do.

Take your teacher's advice.

This.

Learning theory and playing rhythm is important
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Just because a daewoo dealership has a tune-up service doesn't mean that the ****ers know what they're doing (no offense to anyone who drives a daewoo. pleas don't torture your little one cylinder engines to mow my lawn and bump into me)