Page 1 of 2
To explain the title, I'll use a question:

Is it humanly possible to find a GOOD, YET AFFORDABLE (no more than $750-$850) STAGE AMP/HALF/FULL STACK?

The reason I ask this is my band is gigging soon and from what I hear the local venues either have really crappy PA systems or don't have a PA at ALL.

The other reason is my dad will flip out if he finds out I spent more on something for my music than I spent on my first car.

Any and all assistance would be HUGELY appreciated, and any links will be looked into!

EDIT: I play heavy, death, and speed metal if it matters.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Last edited by Snap017 at Mar 26, 2009,
tbh, you don't NEED a half stack for large gigs at all.
40-60 watts valve will sort you out.
Used, you may be able to get one though, but I'm unsure on US prices and the used market. What genres do you play?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
you can gig with a combo mah child.
+1 to that yng.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Well, it'd be slightly awkward to go on stage and play heavy/death/speed metal with a Peavey Audition 30 (50w) slaved to a Fender Champ 12 (65w), don't you think?
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

yeah 40 - 60 watt would be perfect, I played a gig at my school in a fairly big room with the volume at 2, and it was perfect.
Maybe a traynor would be good for you, what genres do you play
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
pawn shops

Considering I got my Schecter at a pawn shop, I bet if I went to the same one and got the same people I could get a half-decent discount. Either way, great idea, although I already had it in mind.

And before ANYONE says local guitar shops, all the ones nearby (House of Guitars, Great Southern, Copperhead Music) have less-than-ideal prices (all pretty much starting in the $900s).

Quote by Snap017
Well, it'd be slightly awkward to go on stage and play heavy/death/speed metal with a Peavey Audition 30 (50w) slaved to a Fender Champ 12 (65w), don't you think?

Probably.
Used Peavey 5150 combos go for about $500-$600 - seems like it would be a good amp for you.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by Yngwi3
Probably.
Used Peavey 5150 combos go for about $500-$600 - seems like it would be a good amp for you.

Combo meaning solid-state, or combo meaning stack?

Found like 5 stacks on Craigslist, but they all start at $800...

Alright, time for my retarded-still-recovering-from-guitar-n3wb-itis...

Does the cab HAVE to have the head unit? Or could I just get the cab and use my pedals to control the loudness? Or would that not work at all and I'm retarded for asking?

http://mr5150.vhvault.com/5150_combo.jpg

is a combo. i have never played a gig with a (guitar) halfstack, only combos, and i've played many a gig.

edit: ts, a head does a lot more than "make it loud." a combo contains both the head and the speakers, so it's easier to move around and cheaper because it's only one purchase. 5150 combos go used for around $600, which would be perfect for you.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Last edited by SlappyMcLardfat at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by Snap017

TURBO FAIL...

Go read the stickys and figure out what a combo is...

/fail
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by Snap017

Combo meaning combo... it's a valve combo.
And yes, you need a cabinet if you have a head. A head is JUST an amplifier, it has no speakers.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

for 850 dollars, you could maybe get a 6505 half stack used, a xxx half stack used, or a b-52 half stack for sure. where do you live?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
are u willing to go used?

if so u should manage to get a B52 AT 100 with a 2x12 or 4x12 (all used or mix)

OR u can get a new B52 AT 112 and get an extension cabinet
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
Quote by danyellenik
TURBO FAIL...

Go read the stickys and figure out what a combo is...

/fail

Sorry, I completely forgot to look at the stickies here. Will definitely check them out. But you don't have to be such an ass about it...

Quote by Holy-Diver
for 850 dollars, you could maybe get a 6505 half stack used, a xxx half stack used, or a b-52 half stack for sure. where do you live?

Houston, TX. Quite an over-rated and over-priced place, both for music equipment, and pretty much everything else. (As they say, "Everything's Bigger in Texas"...yea, that goes for prices too . Man I miss Atlanta...)

in addition to the amps already mentioned, you could likely find a carvin half stack used in your price range, which would fit your style of music
^ GO BAI DAT NAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!one ELEVEN!!!!!!!!!!!twelvw!!!
feel free to add me
Quote by Snap017

Found like 5 stacks on Craigslist, but they all start at $800...

Alright, time for my retarded-still-recovering-from-guitar-n3wb-itis...

Does the cab HAVE to have the head unit? Or could I just get the cab and use my pedals to control the loudness? Or would that not work at all and I'm retarded for asking?

combo meaning stack? wtf man...

cab with no head and just pedals??!?!!?!

you're about to spend $400+ and you don't even know the difference between a combo and a stack? And I assume you don't know exactly what solid state is either.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
gpowsang...

I LOVE YOU.

Literally. *kisses shoes*

Oh great, another retard moment...

I've never heard of B-52 (besides, obviously, the plane) are they good? I'm hearing good things right now. xD

^ the reliability is not good but not horrible like Bugeras.
it has a lush clean channel and BR00TAL HAI GHAINZ!!!!
feel free to add me
Quote by touji-za-nai
combo meaning stack? wtf man...

cab with no head and just pedals??!?!!?!

you're about to spend $400+ and you don't even know the difference between a combo and a stack? And I assume you don't know exactly what solid state is either.

All joking aside, I thought solid-state meant the volume, EQ, and other knobs were just above the amp speaker.

Knowing my atrocious knowledge of amps, I'm probably completely off. Sorry.

All I know is that the higher the watt-age + more speakers = more sound = louder = I can play gigs. I don't know the terminology but I know what I'm looking for.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ the reliability is not good but not horrible like Bugeras.
it has a lush clean channel and BR00TAL HAI GHAINZ!!!!

lush cleans you say...

Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
^ not lush like fender's but good cleans.
you know what i mean
feel free to add me
listen, B52s are nice and all (incredible versatility if used correctly)

but GET THAT 5150 NAOW

if u wanna ask away on B52s, clik on the link in my sig
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
Quote by Holy-Diver
dude wtf are you talking about?
go buy this

+1
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Snap017
All joking aside, I thought solid-state meant the volume, EQ, and other knobs were just above the amp speaker.

Knowing my atrocious knowledge of amps, I'm probably completely off. Sorry.

All I know is that the higher the watt-age + more speakers = more sound = louder = I can play gigs. I don't know the terminology but I know what I'm looking for.

Solid state means the amp doesn't use tubes.

Combo means the head (tone/electronics) are built into the cabinet (speakers)

Stack means the tone/electronics are in head form and are STACKED on top of a cab connected by a speaker cable.

No, you cannot use pedals with a cabinet w/o the head.

The amount of speakers effects the actual volume very little, a 4x12 cab (2 12 inch speakers) is only 3db louder than a 2x12. a full stack (2 4x12 cabs) is only 3db louder than a 4x12. The speakers affect the tone more than the volume. 50 watts is all you need to play loud enough for a gig, 30 would cut it.

If you're bent on buying a high quality amplifier read up on ohms as well for the sake of not breaking your amp.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai

Stack means the tone/electronics are in head form and are STACKED on top of a cab connected by a speaker cable.

The amount of speakers effects the actual volume very little, a 4x12 cab (2 12 inch speakers) is only 3db louder than a 2x12. a full stack (2 4x12 cabs) is only 3db louder than a 4x12. The speakers affect the tone more than the volume. 50 watts is all you need to play loud enough for a gig, 30 would cut it.

If you're bent on buying a high quality amplifier read up on ohms as well for the sake of not breaking your amp.

the volume is percieved a lot louder in a 412 than in a 212...
and buy the fvcking 5150 for gods sake
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
if you dont buy it TS i'll buy it............
feel free to add me
Quote by Holy-Diver
the volume is percieved a lot louder in a 412 than in a 212...
and buy the fvcking 5150 for gods sake

no. it's not.

You may hear a difference because the 4x12 was running on 16 or 4 ohms, and the 2x12 was running on 8 ohms, that will make a difference.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai

Damnit, I knew I was way off.

Oh well, I guess I failed the vocabulary test?

Regardless, I'll definitely read up on ohms. All I got to do now is wait for dad to get home so I can get some funding for this thing.

Quote by Snap017
-All I got to do now is wait for dad to get home so I can get some funding for this thing.

Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
if you dont buy it TS i'll buy it............

lol. You want it, man, then take it. There's like a 50% chance my dad will look at it and say "Sure." anyways.

Just give me a week before you call the guy, alright? I gotta ease da pops into dis or he be sayin' no in a jiffy.

WARNING: Before you judge me by my latest two posts, please note that I am NOT rich, and by making my dad pay for it I mean he will stalk me for life until I fully pay him back, especially with the way Wall Street is at the moment.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ im joking you know........
im still saving up for my gear here is the things im planning to buy
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1093938

Yea, I know. That's more like a way of saying "Anyone else in the Houston area that actually has the cash that wants this, by all means, go for it."

Peavey Ultra Plus or Ampeg VH140-C head on the cab of your choice (Used Marshall 1960 or Avatar) with the extra cash and you have your self a tour ready rig that sounds great.
Page 1 of 2