hey guys i was wondering if one of these would be any good for some of the stuff i play. i play stuff like the racounteurs, beck, modest mouse, muse and other stuff like that. if it can play primus, that would be a bonus, but my guess is that is a no. i do play live every sunday for church through an ampeg, so that is important too. i allready have a p bass, and its good, but not quite versitle enough. and for the record, i do not like jazz basses too much, and yes i use a mexican standard 5 string one every monday so i do know how they sound and feel. please do not send 50 pages of crap saying epiphones suck, or get a different bass. ive seen too many forums like that. thank you for your time.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
one huge thing is that i overdrive and use fuzz a lot and i also play a lot of CAKE. my amp is a swr la series 12 180 watt. i have no idea when it was made or where
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Hang on. You refuse to let us confirm what other forums say? Really, Epiphone basses are pretty poor for most applications. The EB-3 is one of their worst models. I would strongly advise against it. Of course, if you have a chance to extensively playtest a gibson/epiphone bass and still love it, nothing will quite sound like it. However, for a lot of other people, they are muddy and undefined.

Do not expect to be cutting through the mix, and don't expect much clarity. They also neckdive pretty badly.

As far as I know, the sound of that type of rock is going to be dominated by jazz and precision style basses. Muse's bassist used a Rickenbacker occasionally, but he uses a jazz style bass most of the time.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i really want a rick, but they are too expencive. i also quite like the sound of the muddyness, for the CAKE stuff, but also would like to have a bass that does more than that.
Quote by BobDetroit
Alot of those bands use P-basses. The EB-3 just isn't a very good bass. It's not versatile at all, so having it do more than the muddy thing is out. If a bunch of other forums all say the same thing, take the hint.

EDIT: Wait, so you like the very distinct, clear, trebly tone of a Ric', but you want a muddy tone? You must want a really versatile bass.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Mar 26, 2009,
get a p bass, and put a mudbucker in the neck. like what billl sheehan did.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
i already have a p bass and im bored of it. i need something different, and this is different. what would u suggest for me to try out.
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by gm jack
Hang on. You refuse to let us confirm what other forums say? Really, Epiphone basses are pretty poor for most applications. The EB-3 is one of their worst models. I would strongly advise against it. Of course, if you have a chance to extensively playtest a gibson/epiphone bass and still love it, nothing will quite sound like it. However, for a lot of other people, they are muddy and undefined.

Do not expect to be cutting through the mix, and don't expect much clarity. They also neckdive pretty badly.

As far as I know, the sound of that type of rock is going to be dominated by jazz and precision style basses. Muse's bassist used a Rickenbacker occasionally, but he uses a jazz style bass most of the time.

i agree with everything jack has said, the EB3 is muddy and undefined and has very poor balance. That being said alt rock is such a big pigeon hole that there's no good bass specifically for it, just a good bass for you so if the EB3 is a good bass for you then go for it and i recommend you go play one because they are love or hate instruments. Jack Bruce of Cream used a gibson SG bass and it didn't hurt his tone or playing.

also a quick side note Chris Wolstenholme of Muse also used a Warwick Streamer STD on occasions, it appears in the video for Newborn and Matt is using a normal tele DUN DUN DUHHHHNNN!!!
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
^^The P with a mudbucker is actually a really good idea.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Mar 26, 2009,
im actually liking the p with the mudbucker too, but i want something different than a p bass, ive got one thats pretty good (even though its a squier) already. whats a good bass BESIDES the jazz, for the music i play.
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
im actually liking the p with the mudbucker too, but i want something different than a p bass, ive got one thats pretty good (even though its a squier) already. whats a good bass BESIDES the jazz, for the music i play.

what about a schecter? that isnt a fender.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
im not into schecters. the only music i play thats good on those is primus, and there is no way my band would play primus. im not so into active basses, but i wont shoo them away without concideration
Quote by BobDetroit
rickenbacker copies are quite readily available if you're patient and while they don't sound exactly like rics they tend to have a tone all to themselves
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
ive spent 4ever trying to track down a rick copy, and when i find 1, they are usually poop or too much for me.
Quote by BobDetroit
i picked one up just over a week ago for just under £400, it's fantastic and i'd go as far as to say it doesn't sound far off from a rick 4003
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
but what is that in american dollars?????
Quote by BobDetroit
ok thats like 600 bucks right???? im lookin to spend mabie 350 to 400
Quote by BobDetroit
if you want to go really alternative in your tone you should scour ebay for vintage harmonys, tiescos and kays. you should be able to get a working one (not perfect condition just usable) for about that price
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by primusclaypool1
i really want a rick, but they are too expencive. i also quite like the sound of the muddyness, for the CAKE stuff, but also would like to have a bass that does more than that.

really? The basslines in CAKE music always seemed pretty punchy to me.

Anyway, if you want something versatile but don't want a jazz, at that price range you're really just left with dual soapbars, like the Peavey Millenium AC BXP.
Or, what about basses with two single coils that aren't the jazz? Or something with a P/J setup (or would that be too close to your current P bass)?
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Schecters are pretty versatile, I wouldn't be so quick to disregard them. As for other brands Warwick (Rockbass of course), Traben, ESP, Ibanez, OLP, Peavey, Yamaha, etc. There's plenty of stuff out there, you just gotta look.
ATK? get an Ibanez ATK, that gets a really sweet punch, without the precisions inherent thump or the jazz basses incessant growl. it can get a tone like Chris Wolstenholme's Pedulla (not too exact of course, but with enough fuzz on it really is close enough), it can get a really good Stingray style sound too, which may just be enough.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
ATK? get an Ibanez ATK, that gets a really sweet punch, without the precisions inherent thump or the jazz basses incessant growl. it can get a tone like Chris Wolstenholme's Pedulla (not too exact of course, but with enough fuzz on it really is close enough), it can get a really good Stingray style sound too, which may just be enough.

I agree totally, the bass is active I think but the 3-way toggle on it is very versatile, but straight forward at the same time, it's like an EB-3 but better in every way. The ATK is everything.
i was looking at an atk bass one day at guitar center, and it was amazing, but i never bothered to look at the name. i rembember it had the punch i like, but also did the muddy thing also, so it was perfect for me. i think i will try to pick up one of those, or maybe this danelectro bass i played. that danelectro was very nice also
Quote by BobDetroit
i love my Eb3, the neckdive pisses me off though,
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by primusclaypool1
i was looking at an atk bass one day at guitar center, and it was amazing, but i never bothered to look at the name. i rembember it had the punch i like, but also did the muddy thing also, so it was perfect for me. i think i will try to pick up one of those, or maybe this danelectro bass i played. that danelectro was very nice also

plus, it is way more versatile than the EB-3, something you wanted in that first post.
those Dano's are great too.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Why not get a Squier T-Bass? It has all the mud you could dream (i.e. have nightmares) of, plus it balances and plays like a real bass should and does.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..