I want to write asome good metal songs, but i don't know where to start.

I have 2 pages of random tabs that i came up with and i've tried to throw them in a song, but they never sound good. I just don't want to throw some power chords in with some palm mutes open notes, ya know, but everytime i try and write a song it always ends up that way. I want to write a songs with some meaning to it.

I just wanted to know if anyone could point me in the right direction to acheving this goal.

Thanks Again.
What I do sometimes is write lyrics and then add guitar riiffs and solos around it.
Most of the time I write lyrics around the tabs I've come up with already.
I don't know if it helps, but it's a start.
actually, do exactly what you don't want to do: throw it all together
then improve and refine it, see where it works and where it doesnt how things should work etc but most of all just listen to songs analytically

let me know how you get on
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Quote by Cat says what
just use descending 5th chords, or ascending, those always work.
or put in a coda.

OK?

your going to have to bring up a link or something like that cause i have no idea waht you just said.
I have alot of metal riffs i wrote, but they all are of some varing speed and i don't know how to add them to another riff.
Quote by Blckspawn
OK?

your going to have to bring up a link or something like that cause i have no idea waht you just said.

I doubt he does either, because neither of those are relevant to writing a good song. If you want to write metal, study metal.
Why does everyone think unresolved dissonance means metal?

To T/S
Learn theory, write heaps of music, study heaps of metal songs with your theory, write heaps of music, learn the classical way of writing a melody, write heaps of music, learn counterpoint, write heaps of music. Do that in that order, I guarantee you'll be a god at writing metal.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
You seem to be into a lot of thrash, but your bands styles are quite varied. Slayer are pretty much all tremelo picking with some galloping etc while metallica is a more punk-styled power chord driven band. Myself I found that it wasn't the notes I was using that was making my old riffs sound weak, it was the rhythm. Rhythm is everything in thrash. Learn some good phrasing and galloping etc. A pinch harmonic never goes stray either.
If i was going to make a band it would be like Devildriver., but like i said i don't want to play just power chords i want to trow in some arpeggios.
I would recommend taking one of the random riffs and 'restate' it musically. So, let's you play something like (forgive me if you think this example sucks)

E--0-0-0-3~~-6\5-8-8

So far you said E-G-Bb-A-C. What else can you say with those notes?

Perhaps

D--5-5-7---5
A--7-7-7---7
E--8-8-5---6

There some unresolved dissonance for you, as we all agree that equals 'metal' (just kidding demon)

I think you already realize you may not be able to play a bunch of random riff sequentially and make a meaningful song out of them.

The point is to make a statement, then restate it a different way, perhaps make one or two different statements.
so your telling me to write out a riff in TAB, convert it to notes, and then play those notes elsewhere?
Quote by Blckspawn
so your telling me to write out a riff in TAB, convert it to notes, and then play those notes elsewhere?

Yes, I think that would be a good exercise for you to really tie those concepts together. I got the impression you were tabbing out your riffs from your inital post. So, pick you favorite, 'translate' it into notes and build from there.

Post a link to the song if you record it.
I just record a large amount of heavy riffs onto my MP3 player (sound quality sucks).
Then I pick the riffs that would sound the best as an intro
Then best for a verse (I recommend something lighter to not blast through the lyrics)
Then you can pick up the volume and speed for the chorus
and then an outro.
Hey man this is funny I looked at ur location and thought it was a joke but checked 2 c if u were from little sparta mi lol I was surprised 2 c that u were I'm from jackson and we have the same intrest in music I'm looking 2 make a band...msg me or something if u wana jam sometime man we could work out ur riffs 2gether and how long u been playin?
\m/ metal up your ass
Study the music that you like. Study music theory. Train your ear. Develop your technique. Write alot of music, it'll suck at first, but writing music is a skill like anything else.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Lchoke
Hey man this is funny I looked at ur location and thought it was a joke but checked 2 c if u were from little sparta mi lol I was surprised 2 c that u were I'm from jackson and we have the same intrest in music I'm looking 2 make a band...msg me or something if u wana jam sometime man we could work out ur riffs 2gether and how long u been playin?

Yep i do live in Sparta. I've been playing for almost 1 year. yea i'm also tring t get a band together. One of my friends plays bass and sometimes we jam together, but he just got his bass last christmas and he kinda sucks compaired to me. I also know someone who can sing/metal roar, but he listens to grindcore and he does the pig squealing alot, but i told him if we were ever in a band together that he wouldn't do that.

Quote by tagyoureit
Yes, I think that would be a good exercise for you to really tie those concepts together. I got the impression you were tabbing out your riffs from your inital post. So, pick you favorite, 'translate' it into notes and build from there.

Post a link to the song if you record it.

Well you guessed correctly. I got tired of covering band and i wanted to make my own stuff. And i'm going to get a computer with the Line 6 POD Studio GX to record my music, but i don't have money right now so it might be a while before i do that.
Quote by Lchoke
Dude ill drive out 2 sparta sumtime 4 a jam we can make a thrashyband and bring thrash back msg me or eMaill me at mudvayneownsjou@aol.com

yea i'll do that. Like if you were going to make a band what would it be like?

I'm thinking like Heavy like Slayer and throw in the tremelo picking like Amon Amarth with solo's like Metallica and Pantera.
Yea I mean ima huge tallica fan and slayer 2 but also zepplin and acdc I just wana rockheh
\m/ metal up your ass
Quote by Lchoke
Yea I mean ima huge tallica fan and slayer 2 but also zepplin and acdc I just wana rockheh

I don't think i've ever heard Led Zepplin......
WHAT WHAT WHAT u should def hear led zeppelin
\m/ metal up your ass