i think it's to do with the volume levels, but i'm not entirely sure.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
plug a line level signal into the line in, plug a mic into the mic in... thats all you need to know
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Line level is higher voltage than mic level. The voltage difference isn't enough to worry about damage, so experimentation won't hurt anything. Mic and Instrument level are similar. Often they are expressed as a difference in DB. I.E. mic or instrument level is -20 to -40db. Line level is 0 to +4 db. YMMV on those numbers.

Instrument and mic level devices require higher input impedances than line level, or they will suffer lose of tone or signal level. Line level inputs are in the 10's of Kohms, and mic/instrument levels are in the 100's of Kohm to a Mohm.
Quote by james2112
whats a line level signal?

its a signal that has already been run through a preamp, in some cases a line level signal can fry a preamp (especially with extended use) but that's fairly uncommon, also I'm pretty sure line and mic ins have different impedances, and an impedance mismatch will affect sound quality.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by james2112
whats a line level signal?

many things are line level,

-output of preamp
-output of MP3 player
-headphones jack
-etc.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
If I purchased a XLR - 3.5mm adaptor would I be able to use my iPod or laptop through the monitor to play along? If I did this would I just leave the line output untouched?