recently i have been looking for a mesa F50 and have found one on craigslist that im buying. only problem is im having to have it shipped out to memphis cause this guy lives in phoenix. what is the best way to go about making sure i dont get scammed?

in the last year i have been almost scammed 3 times, one guy told me his F30 was an was an F50, one guy tried to convince me his ES-339 was an ES-335, and while i was trying to sell my playstation, one guy tried to buy it from me without paying, so i want to know what is the best way to go about this?

edit: my idea was to send him half of the money, then send the other half when i got the amp and had made sure it worked.
have him take a picture of him mailing it too you
(put onto the UPS truck or whatever he uses)
then have them email you that pic and do your half payment now half later

do they paypal thing
i have never used it but the guy below seems to know what he is talking about
Quote by SOADrox429
Dude... I want to date a drum major. I bet they could fuck in time to Tool.
Last edited by chris88kolate at Mar 26, 2009,
you don't buy on craigslist from all the way across the country. that's not what its for.

but if you must, then use paypal. you can make a claim if you get scammed.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
He won't like that idea.

Ask him for ebay reputations and stuff. I would not go through with a deal like this unless he knows how to sell online..

Phoenix, huh? I just emailed the guy to see if he wants to trade for my DC-5. I live in Tucson and would make the drive up there for that baby.

Sorry, but I could never find one until now.. lol
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Last edited by injected at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by injected
He won't like that idea.

Ask him for ebay reputations and stuff. I would not go through with a deal like this unless he knows how to sell online..

Phoenix, huh? I just emailed the guy to see if he wants to trade for my DC-5. I live in Tucson and would make the drive up there for that baby.

Sorry, but I could never find one until now.. lol

lol!! a DC-5 for a F50??!! good luck.

...u suck
Quote by theoreticmusic
you don't buy on craigslist from all the way across the country. that's not what its for.
Exactly. If someone wants me to ship I insist on a USPS money order. If I ask for shipment I provide the same. The seller is totally protected and the buyer is at risk.
Quote by theoreticmusic

I would NEVER, EVER buy anything off craigslist where I have to send money before I see it. Alot of suckers do that and wonder why they scammed.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by toyboxmonster
The point of Craigslist is face-to-face dealings. Anything else is too risky to do.

Yes yes, a million times yes. You're just asking for it if you don't do face to face meetings.

Edit: There is also a very common scam where they get you to ship after sending a money order or what not, but the MO or check, etc is bogus.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
If you're asked to do that when you're using Craigslist, it's more than likely a scam.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by Mayonaise 812
One time the prince of nigeria emailed me and gave me a ton of money )

lol, you wouldn't believe all the money princes', queens and kings want to give me. All it takes is a little money to help transfer it over, OOOOOOOK
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Yeah, don't do his. The only way Id even consider it is if you use paypal, but I would request he put it on ebay and let you buy it now for the price you agreed to plus a little extra to cover the fees. If he is unwilling it is probably a scam.

I sold my Peavey Valveking, but I remember the first night I put it up I got what looked like a serious inquiry. "Do you still have your valveking?". I was like "Yes, considering I just put it for sale an hour ago". Then I got some broken english novel telling me how he was going to pay with a check and he needed my address, phone number and name, and he'd pay me an extra $50 to remove my advert from craigslist. I told him to choke on it and go scam someone else and never heard a peep again.

Don't do it. If you can't meet face to face and listen to it, then find another way to buy the amp you want.
You're going to get scammed. Suggest ebay to that fool or go to Phoenix if you want it so badly.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by GuitarDTO
I sold my Peavey Valveking, but I remember the first night I put it up I got what looked like a serious inquiry. "Do you still have your valveking?". I was like "Yes, considering I just put it for sale an hour ago". Then I got some broken english novel telling me how he was going to pay with a check and he needed my address, phone number and name, and he'd pay me an extra $50 to remove my advert from craigslist. I told him to choke on it and go scam someone else and never heard a peep again.

Don't do it. If you can't meet face to face and listen to it, then find another way to buy the amp you want.
Actually that's not typical scammer MO. You should have told him you to send you a USPS money order and include postage. Shipping only in the US.
Quote by fly135
Actually that's not typical scammer MO. You should have told him you to send you a USPS money order and include postage. Shipping only in the US.

It is of late in certain markets. I've had two such offers on my stuff.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by fly135

I sold my Spider II on craigs locally. However, I had a few scammer messages... one was a long e-mail about sending it to Cali and he'd send a cashier's cheque. Any time I see check spelled like that I think Nigerian scammer. haha. And yes, he offered me extra money for the trouble to ship it, and said something about using some kind of special shipping service.

TS, the guy might be legit, but why risk it? Just keep searching ebay and local shops that sell used gear. It's too much of a risk otherwise.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
The best way is 2 wait tillu find one closr or save 4 a new 1
\m/ metal up your ass
Quote by theoreticmusic
It is of late in certain markets. I've had two such offers on my stuff.
Yeah, you can never tell. If it's not someone asking to buy my "instrument" and claiming they want my best price with pictures, or they want to send me a check for more than the amount so I can pay their shipper... then I'll tell them to send me a USPS money order only for XXX plus X shipping.

I've bought a couple of things long distance on Craigslist by taking the risk. Of course people think you are scamming them and I have to convince them a USPS MO is cashed at the PO. They have money in hand before shipping.

I had one guy wanting to buy a Zoom 707II from me so I told USPS MO for $50 + $8 shipping. He called several times over a couple months saying he still wanted to buy it. Then one day he told me he had a Wal Mart MO because the guy at the PO wanted to charge him (like a buck). I told him no. Then a couple more weeks went by and I decided to put it back on CL and sold it for $60 cash local pickup. Sent him a text message saying it was sold and he called me right back saying he put the MO in the mail that day. I sent it back to him when it arrived.
Unless someone you trust can check it out in PHX, don't bother. That amp comes up in most markets within a few months. Wait it out if you can't have someone you trust check it out.

Craigslist is better than e-bay only because you can "try before you buy". If you buy without testing something, it's a "you're doing it wrong" moment.

Just be patient, wait for one locally.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Unless someone you trust can check it out in PHX, don't bother. That amp comes up in most markets within a few months. Wait it out if you can't have someone you trust check it out.

Craigslist is better than e-bay only because you can "try before you buy". If you buy without testing something, it's a "you're doing it wrong" moment.

Just be patient, wait for one locally.

That is true. I didn't think about it that way. Well, even with the ebay route, you could buy from sellers that accept returns, so you could try it out. Ah, craig's locally is sounding better already.
It's worked for me, but that's not to say it's going to for everyone. Some people prefer e-bay, I'm just not one of those people. I don't want the hassles "if" something is not right. I go, I try, and then I either buy or tell the person I'm, "just not that into your amp".
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.