Page 1 of 2
I have an 89.2 in electronic music, and i was given the chance to do one last project. Unfortunately, I dont know what to do.

The goal is to find a song with an odd sounding mix. Like, for example, an instrument sounds too loud/soft/sound weird/etc

Anyone wanna help me out? I'm completely lost.

Inb4 I Cum Blood
Last edited by DrPants PhD at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by DrPants PhD
I have an 89.2 in electronic music, and i was given the chance to do one last project. Unfortunately, I dont know what to do.

The goal is to find a song with an odd sounding mix. Like, for example, an instrument sounds too loud/soft/sound weird/etc

Anyone wanna help me out? I'm completely lost.

Inb4 I Cum Blood

crazy train sounds like RR is using a cocked wah
Take any song and say the bass is too quiet.
Quote by telecastermetal
i dont live in merica.
and enter sandman has good songs
Dude - we gotta start some kind of awesome name club or something.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
The singer for Soft Cell can't sing for shit, as you can hear in Tainted Love.

Does that count?
Quote by filthandfury
The singer for Soft Cell can't sing for shit, as you can hear in Tainted Love.

Does that count?

Aye, it does.

My school are doing an A Cappella version. Save me.
133 18 9463 8395 24 22 8358 4939
My advice would be to choose something by "The Go! Team". The instruments are high in the mix compared to the lead vocals so they sound like backing vocals. It's very strange as the whole thing comes across like a backing track. Try "Ladyflash"
Quote by coryklok
...And Justice For All. There is no bass.

Ah that's a great idea. I might do this unless someone else gives me a better suggestion. What song would you recommend?
how 'bout remixing all of "Death Magnetic"?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Patrick L
Anything by the Mars Volta really.

Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by The_Paranoia
Porcupine Tree

yeah their self production lets them down IMHO
Quote by JohanthePirat
Steven Wilson's a great producer, what are you talking about?

He said he wanted instruments that sound weird. They got some weird stuff going on. Wilson is my favorite producer and one of my favorite singers, nothing wrong with his mixes.
Quote by JamesMay.
yeah their self production lets them down IMHO
Say what? The production on every Porcupine Tree record is fantastic.
Quote by The_Paranoia
He said he wanted instruments that sound weird. They got some weird stuff going on. Wilson is my favorite producer and one of my favorite singers, nothing wrong with his mixes.
He's my favourite producer too, but I can't think of anything he does that's particularly weird. He's just absurdly good.
St. Anger and Death Magnetic.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by Ssw706
Take any song and say the bass is too quiet.

Doesn't work for Victor Wooten!
The Conservative youth of America!
Much of what is heard on the radio is mixed oddly or poorly. Completely over-mastered or over-compressed, just in a quest to sound louder. Which is terribly stupid because they lose all of their headroom and it can start to sound grainy. So they sacrifice sound quality and natural dynamics for apparent loudness.

For example, when listening to a top 40 song, I can guarantee that a lot of the time you can hear the drums (most noticeable on the snare) go down in level during vocals and then come right back up instantly when the vocals come out. It's the over-compression, and it can ruin a perfectly fine song.

It's quite ridiculous. Mp3's are partly to blame, and the way in which the general population listen to music now. People, for the most part, don't sit in their living room and listen to an album anymore on a nice stereo system. People listen to iPod's while out and about doing other things, so they are used to the bad quality and have become accustomed to it. Because of these loud listening environments, the apparent loudness of everything on the track "needs" to come up.
Last edited by Jesse Mrau at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by King Krapp
SAINT ANGER. ALL OF SAINT ANGER.

...seriously, it's terrible....

Amen to that
Quote by King Krapp

Amen to that
Quote by Roge23
Death Magnetic. Drums are too loud

Quote by Jhachey22
how 'bout remixing all of "Death Magnetic"?

Quote by King Krapp

+1 to each of these.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
"Too weird?"

Find some psy you can't stomach.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Flame Deluge by Thrice

I always found the vocals to be a bit drowned out, which is a pity cuz Dustin has a freaking awesome scream/yell thing.
most old school black metal is mixed very poorly by conventional standards (no bass and a lot of times the guitars overpower the vocals)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Jaymz2K
Flame Deluge by Thrice

I always found the vocals to be a bit drowned out, which is a pity cuz Dustin has a freaking awesome scream/yell thing.

That's a great pick. I feckin' hate that song though.

If you're looking for some Thrice to remix, Digital Sea and Night Diving, particularly Digital Sea, are great ideas.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Try many of the tracks on Are You Experienced by the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

There are all sorts of production "oddities" throughout the record.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Jesse Mrau
Much of what is heard on the radio is mixed oddly or poorly. Completely over-mastered or over-compressed, just in a quest to sound louder. Which is terribly stupid because they lose all of there headroom and it can start to sound grainy. So they sound quality and natural dynamics for apparent loudness.

For example, when listening to a top 40 song, I can guarantee that a lot of the time you can hear the drums (most noticeable on the snare) go down in level during vocals and then come right back up instantly when the vocals come out. It's the over-compression, and it can ruin a perfectly fine song.

It's quite ridiculous. Mp3's are partly to blame, and the way in which the general population listen to music now. People, for the most part, don't sit in their living room and listen to an album anymore on a nice stereo system. People listen to iPod's while out and about doing other things, so they are used to the bad quality and have become accustomed to it. Because of these loud listening environments, the apparent loudness of everything on the track "needs" to come up.

And that my friends is why Harvest by Neil Young is the best sounding album I've ever bought.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Well, I did My Apocalypse by Metallica (Death Magnetic). My teacher said it's a great example. A for the quarter confirmed. Thanks guys.
Quote by DrPants PhD
Well, I did My Apocalypse by Metallica (Death Magnetic). My teacher said it's a great example. A for the quarter confirmed. Thanks guys.

See, I told you it would work (and so did three other people)
Harvest by Neil Young, the whole mix in that is ****ed up, you can hardly hear Young singing, and the instruments deafen you before you can hear him properly
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Page 1 of 2