Thread is just as title suggests, there's a nice neck that I'm looking at, the only problem is I'd be putting it on a hardtail and its got the cutout for the floyd rose nut.

My main question is this: can I just put a standard nut on there and im good to go? or would I have to use a floyd rose nut?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
You can use a standard nut, you'll just have a little left over shelf from the smaller nut.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Thanks Absent Mind
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

how much do the floyd nuts run? all of my money (however little that may be) are going into this build. after i buy everything else im literally broke.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

http://www.allparts.com/store/nuts-saddles-locking-nuts,Category.asp
Not cheap
Make youre own bone nut to fill the slot
Just go get a chunk of cow bone from your local butcher.
Last edited by _Sanitarium_ at Mar 27, 2009,
If you're putting your last cent into this why not be smart about it and wait for a proper neck to come along rather then try and compromise like this. Its not worth it and you'll regret it in the end.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
say if you do have a hardtail bridge, can you use a floyd rose nut but clamp it (or not clamp it, w/e you fancy) would that still work? like what divinorum69 said
when you clamp the nut the strings go sharp (#) therefor you can't clamp it unless your bridge has fine tuners
oh ok true, you can still leave them unclamped tho

DAMMIT! I just spilt my drink everywhere...
Quote by guitarcam123
when you clamp the nut the strings go sharp (#) therefor you can't clamp it unless your bridge has fine tuners

you can tune down a little bit before you clamp it to compensate. If you have a tuner with a "needle on dial-y" display bit (eg: a korg), tune it to standard, clamp it, look at the difference, un-clamp it, and de-tune by the difference and re-clamp it.

It'll never give you perfect tuning, but It might be good if eg: you're playing live, when having a guitar that's unnoticably out of tune is better than having a guitar that's in tune for the first song, then needs re-tuned after every few songs. The difference will be minute, I bet it's less than the effect you get switiching between fingers and pick.
Quote by jimRH7
you can tune down a little bit before you clamp it to compensate. If you have a tuner with a "needle on dial-y" display bit (eg: a korg), tune it to standard, clamp it, look at the difference, un-clamp it, and de-tune by the difference and re-clamp it.

It'll never give you perfect tuning, but It might be good if eg: you're playing live, when having a guitar that's unnoticably out of tune is better than having a guitar that's in tune for the first song, then needs re-tuned after every few songs. The difference will be minute, I bet it's less than the effect you get switiching between fingers and pick.

That sounds good in theory. But would it work?
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
Quote by shadow phoenix
That sounds good in theory. But would it work?

I used to do it with my brother's "vintage wraith". That was years ago but I can't remember any serious problems arising.
I used a floyd nut and a standard stoptail bridge.

Nothing wron with it, just leave the locks off/loose (might rattle)
------

Shwiggity.