im thinking of getting a v3 in a month or so...

i read some people say it cant handle metalcore...?i dont understand that cuz suicide silence and winds of plague both use the v3 and they have sick ass tone(even though deathcore is gay)

im looking for tone like nile and necrophagist, if the v3 is used by suicide silence im pretty sure i can get a nile tone, and with proper eqing i can probly dial in necro.

im going to get a seperate eq a little after i get the v3 too, so that will help with achieving the right tone.

basically im asking are these peoplle that are saying the v3 cant handle metalcore dumbasses or are they right?...im guessing there wrong cuz some of the sound clips on the carvin site you can hear the death metal tones, and thats with there ****ty eq'ing and most likely single coil or passive pickups, just an all around ****ty set up.
v3 can do alot man, i say yes
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
It can do it, but from what I've heard of the Carvin V3, it's really noisey amp, and can sound really bad if you don't know what you're doing. To be honest, all the clips of people in videos on youtube doing metal with V3's have sounded really buzzy, I'm not a fan of the tone at all, but it can do it.
And Suicide Silence haven't recorded anything with V3's, the guitarist started endorsing them after they recorded the latest album.
How much do these amps go for new? I found a bunch of used ones for around $800-900.
they go new for 900. I have one and while it is tricky to get the sound you want it is definetly worth it. The flaw in this amp is including the master bright knob, and a presence and treble control on each channel. I turn my presence all the way down and only use the bright master and the treble and it removes the fizzyness.

I got mine used on ebay. It was fully retubed with JJs (preamp and power amp) and i got the 4 button footswitch all this for 675 + shipping = 750
Quote by bowen
It can do it, but from what I've heard of the Carvin V3, it's really noisey amp, and can sound really bad if you don't know what you're doing. To be honest, all the clips of people in videos on youtube doing metal with V3's have sounded really buzzy, I'm not a fan of the tone at all, but it can do it.
And Suicide Silence haven't recorded anything with V3's, the guitarist started endorsing them after they recorded the latest album.
How much do these amps go for new? I found a bunch of used ones for around $800-900.

first off i gotta say i love how a bunch of people use these forums at a roductive level...unlike rivers of gore where theres no one and they all just bash everything you say.

carvins got a kickass deal on em for $850 new for the head.

im good at dialing in tone and you cant really judge from youtube cuz people use bad cameras and cuz youtube converts to flash to work....

im seriously considering getting one and i guess i should get it soon cuz that is an amaizing price...and if i dont like it i have 10 days to return it no questions asked

edit: lol i didnt know you cant swear on these forums my bad
Last edited by Sanity-Screams at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by Sanity-Screams
first off i gotta say i love how a bunch of people use these forums at a roductive level...unlike rivers of gore where theres no one and they all just bash everything you say.

carvins got a kickass deal on em for $850 new for the head.

im good at dialing in tone and you cant really judge from youtube cuz people use bad cameras and cuz youtube converts to flash to work....

im seriously considering getting one and i guess i should get it soon cuz that is an amaizing price...and if i dont like it i have 10 days to return it no questions asked

edit: lol i didnt know you cant swear on these forums my bad

Just make sure not to head into the Pit section of this forum

But yeah definitely check it out, and if it isn't the thing for you, I'd suggest a Peavey 6505 or a used Peavey 5150.
5150 is the exact same thing as a 6505, but the 5150 is out of production and is half the price of a 6505 used.
Totally brutal in-your-face tone.

OH, and if you find the Carvin just doesn't have enough "brutal gain" then try boosting it with an OD pedal (putting the level to 10, and keeping the gain on the pedal at 0-3)
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
^^I'm not too sure if you're meaning to bash me by that last post, or saying how I judge what I know about the amp over what I hear from other's. I'm fully aware that 99% of youtube gear videos are bad quality, and that is reflected in the video so not to trust the video's.
I think they're a great deal for this head as well, I'll take your word on it though that they are easy to get a bad tone out of from the high-end equalizers on the amp (which people tend to get fizziness easily), as that's what I've noticed in clips of them.
EDIT: First paragraph directed towards Sanity-Screams
Last edited by bowen at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by bowen
^^I'm not too sure if you're meaning to bash me by that last post, or saying how I judge what I know about the amp over what I hear from other's. I'm fully aware that 99% of youtube gear videos are bad quality, and that is reflected in the video so not to trust the video's.
I think they're a great deal for this head as well, I'll take your word on it though that they are easy to get a bad tone out of from the high-end equalizers on the amp (which people tend to get fizziness easily), as that's what I've noticed in clips of them.
EDIT: First paragraph directed towards Sanity-Screams

no, no bashing intended at all.

.....before i get the v3 im going to go to guitar centre to try out a 6505, if i can get a bunch of good tones then i'll talk the guy there to take the price for $999 to hopefully $850, i'll really play them...i once got an rp-250 for 80 bucks regular $140.

but ya if at guitar center i cant get all the tones i want im definitly going with the v3 cuz at that price you cant really get a high gain all tube amp
My friend has a V3. We've had nothing but dislike from it. It has no low end what so ever. A lot of people says it cuts through the mix well, it does, but it has absolutely no low end punch. I wouldn't call them ideal for many death metal bands, I'm sure a few bands could find them more appealing if they're less sludgy.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
It has no low end what so ever. A lot of people says it cuts through the mix well, it does, but it has absolutely no low end punch
I read the longish review of the V3 in Guitar Player magazine, and their main complaint was that this amp has too much low end punch, and that it takes some careful tone dialing not to have the bottom end overpower the sound!

However, they also said that with 3 different channels and several different sound settings on each one, with EQ and presence and drive and gain on top of all that, the sheer range of sounds you could dial in is impressive. This was considered both an advantage (if you want a sound, you CAN get it) and a disadvantage (with so much scope for exploration, you need some real skill at finding what you want buried in this haystack).

Guitar Player did say that the heavy metal sounds were easiest to dial in. But I would suppose any amp that offers a truly wide range of sounds, is going to have some sounds someone who doesn't know how to use the amp doesn't like and doesn't know how to change.
great amps the fizzyness can be removed with a mxr 10 band eq in the effects loop, its the high mids that give you the fizzyness aswell as the brightness with stock tubes, a quick swap to JJ/tesla and a good mxr 10 band eq in the loop and youre golden
Gear:
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
great amps the fizzyness can be removed with a mxr 10 band eq in the effects loop, its the high mids that give you the fizzyness aswell as the brightness with stock tubes, a quick swap to JJ/tesla and a good mxr 10 band eq in the loop and youre golden

thanks for the eq advice i was just about to ask what one is good, and thats a good price too $119...i was looking at that white pedal that 7 band, and a 10 band kerry king endorsed pedal but i think the kerry king one is the same as the mxr m-108.

how much do tubes cost, cuz after getting the head cab and eq thats alot of money

EDIT: the kerry king one has 2 outputs
Quote by phank
I read the longish review of the V3 in Guitar Player magazine, and their main complaint was that this amp has too much low end punch, and that it takes some careful tone dialing not to have the bottom end overpower the sound!

However, they also said that with 3 different channels and several different sound settings on each one, with EQ and presence and drive and gain on top of all that, the sheer range of sounds you could dial in is impressive. This was considered both an advantage (if you want a sound, you CAN get it) and a disadvantage (with so much scope for exploration, you need some real skill at finding what you want buried in this haystack).

Guitar Player did say that the heavy metal sounds were easiest to dial in. But I would suppose any amp that offers a truly wide range of sounds, is going to have some sounds someone who doesn't know how to use the amp doesn't like and doesn't know how to change.

We're using a dual 15 band EQ for the thing. No way at all to dial in a nice mid heavy low end punch. Doesn't matter if you're using thick or intense, with the presence at 0, and the bass and mids high and the treble to adjust the hair, or presence to adjust hair and the bass and mids high.

If you buy one used, I'm sure it's not a bad buy, I definitely prefer other amps in the price range (spider valve, B-52 AT-100, Carvin X100B, Line 6 HD-147, Mesa F-100, Modded Marshall JCM800s)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Maybe look into an Engl Thunder/Screamer/Fireball (used)?
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

I have a Carvin mts and i think that would be a great amp for what you want to sound like, you woudl have to get one used though as they are discontinued as of last year.\as for the price of tubes a complete retube usually costs about 100 to 145 dollars depending on the brand of tubes and stuff
Gear:
Hey guys, im jumping in this thread a little later but I have a V3 so I thought I'd join in.

Like Bowen said, I find the V3 to be a little noisy when the gain is up, and if your pickups are microphonic at all don't stand anywhere near it or you'll get feedback with the gain up past about 7. I find that it has a decent low end, and lots of gain, but not quite as much lows or gain as a dual rec (I play both). That said, the clean channel kills a dual rec, and on any channel this amp stands out in the mix. It wont do 100% Marshall Mid Crunch, Orange mid gain crunch, or approach the dual recs gain, but what it does do is the Carvin V3. It is way more versatile than any amp I've had. 2 effects loops switchable, boost, 3 channel, multiple voicings- the possibilities are near limitless.

Main thing I can say is, change the stock tubes. Run it with 6L6s for the dual rec flavor of gain or EL84s (or even better KT88s for low end tump and mid range bark) to get more of the marshal sound. It sounded good out of the box for me, but it takes a LOT of tweaking to dial in a perfect sound.

Oh I almost forgot, I play some Opeth and this amp will do it. the V3 will do death metal with the proper eqing.
Last edited by Roxor_Mc0wnage at Mar 27, 2009,
I sincerely think people need to stop offering "opinions" on amps they have only heard "clips" of. The amount of contradictory, uninformed info versus real hands on experience is rather excessive.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Mar 27, 2009,
Just go to http://www.carvin.com They have sound clips of the V3, several videos, and crap loads of reviews. That should answer all your questions. The V3 is wicked.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by Van Noord
I sincerely think people need to stop offering "opinions" on amps they have only heard "clips" of. The amount of contradictory, uninformed info versus real hands on experience is rather excessive.

Who are you talking about? I've got one so..........i guess not me.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred