Ok I bought a Guitar/USB interface the other day, I have it set up like this:

Guitar > Dist. pedal > Amp > Guitar/USB interface > Computer

I'm using Audacity to record, but I cannot find a way to actually hear myself play while recording, (besides the Software Playthrough option, which is very disorientating because there is a slight delay between when I play and when it picks up the sound)

Before, when I wasn't using the USB interface, the sound would play though my speakers and this wasn't a problem. Or Is there a different recording program that would allow me to listen while I play?

thanks.
you can listen while you play in audacity, its going to have the delay tho. no way to change that unfortunately. just listen while you play then shift the time accordingly if you plan on recording multiple tracks.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
before you start each recording session click out a count so that when you finish recording different tracks you can match the "clicks" or mutes up. Make sure you do them in perfect time for best results.

I used Audacity for a year until I found MixCraft 4.0 (get a torrent to "trial" it for free). It's a much better program and claims to be compatible with Garageband. (Also, it looks exactly like it).
i would upgrade the interface or the software. since you just got the interface, im guessing that will stay, but which one is it?
try getting one of the starter versions of steinberg's cubase or cakewalk's home studio. I can say that both are solid from experience and since they're a little more legit than audacity, they're likely to perform better. you could also see if audacity has settings for interfaces that will allow you to change buffer size.
Austin Les Paul rip-off that sounds really nice
Gibson V
PEAVEY JSX 212
Quote by new original
i would upgrade the interface or the software. since you just got the interface, im guessing that will stay, but which one is it?
try getting one of the starter versions of steinberg's cubase or cakewalk's home studio. I can say that both are solid from experience and since they're a little more legit than audacity, they're likely to perform better. you could also see if audacity has settings for interfaces that will allow you to change buffer size.

It's a Behringer UC6102
You need to feed the analog audio into your line in to hear it. No info on the UC6102. If it's a mixer you should use an output to send to the line in.
Quote by fly135
That's the problem with USB interfaces.

I've never have latency issues with mine... It's only a problem if you are trying to record more than 3 or 4 simultaneous tracks.

To TS, are you running your headphones from the interface? most interfaces nowadays have zero latency monitoring (essentially it routes the input signal straight to the headphones)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 26, 2009,