I recently was given a Epiphone Electar Tube 30 tube amp that does not work.

It has two small tubes and two larger tubes. is there a way to test them with a multimeter?

I also have a 2X12 Crate amp. would tubes be interchangable?

Wanted: siggy
i wouldnt try it. turn it on and see if they glow. the big tubes are preamp, the little ones are power.

also, no, in most cases tubes are not interchangable, and theres a special process you need to go thru to swap out tubes.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
It appears you don't have a lot of experience with tubes. They can't just be swapped in an out between amps. You need to have the correct type of tubes, and they need to be biased properly.

What happens when you turn on the amp? Do the tubes glow? What color do the glow (should be an orange-ish glow)?

I recommend doing some research on tubes before you do anything. There's a good thread on tubes here on UG. You can also check out eurotubes.com for information. There are plenty of sites with good info on tubes.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
like test tube babies?
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by TK1
i wouldnt try it. turn it on and see if they glow. the big tubes are preamp, the little ones are power.

also, no, in most cases tubes are not interchangable, and theres a special process you need to go thru to swap out tubes.

actually, small tubes are pre and big tubes are power. i know you can use a multimeter to test the current flow, but it may not tell you how much life is left in the tubes as far as i know.
They make machines to test the bias of tubes and the microphonics and such, they aren't cheap.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
yeah...pretty much all you can do is check voltages (which is pretty useless for diagnosing tube issues), that's about it unless you go and buy a tube tester (see eBay) depending on type, will run anywhere from $100 to $5000 depending on make/model/state of repair.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
If the tubes glow orange then your best bet is some replacements. At least the power tubes they go the fastest.