Hey guys still learning how to use my new software to record some stuff and when I'm EQ'ing stuff I don't where to put stuff, I was wondering if you dudes could give me just a vague area where each setting should be for guitar, vocals, drums, and bass? I will play around to see what I think sounds good but just looking for an idea. Where should I put the;

Low Shelf - Frequency, Gain, and Q?
Mid Band x2 - " "
High shelf - " "

Thanks&Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Although in the short term, it is easiest to tell you to experiment yourself because there are no rules. Any advice given will merely be a set of parameters based on overgeneralizations so broad that they are dangerous. However, in the interest of having to defend that for two pages, here is something I made up a few years back...

See attached. Hope it helps.

CT
Attachments:
frequencies.pdf
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
The only general advice I think I can give is to apply a low cut to just about everything. Below 40-50Hz there's not much information that actually adds anything to the musical experience, it's mainly just rumbling and noise that robs the mix of energy (eating up headroom). For vocals you can usually cut around 100Hz, guitars the same (depending on genre and tuning).
put up a recording of your mix so we can give you actual useful practical advice. Anybody here can say cut/boost x frequency, wether or not it'll be of any use and help your sound is completely random. You have to learn that a boost/cut at x frequency for y instrument yields z result. The frequency PDF axemanchris kindly posted is a good start, and if you're serious in training your ears then buy http://www.audiowizardproeartrainer.com/. I bought it, and when you run through the programme with a good pair of studio monitors, it makes a WORLD of difference.
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
Last edited by Crazy Drummer69 at Mar 27, 2009,
The vocals are really dry, add in some verb. The guitar is recorded well, good tone. What you should do is record the guitar one more time, and pan it in stereo left and right. Do the same with the clean guitar, and maybe take off the verb, and just add in a little chorus. Other than that, the vocals are sort of wooly, so start cutting the bass frequencies until it sounds clearer. The bass isn't really standing out, try boosting in the 1k and 120 area a little bit.