To raise money for recording my band was thinking about releasing a 2 or three song single, and selling it for 2-4 dollars. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for the cheapest way do do this.
Tiananmen Square Dance
If it has more than one song, how is it a single?
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Havent you ever purchased a Single before? It has the single than one or two B-sides.
Tiananmen Square Dance
Y'all wanna single?
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Quote by CraZzZy Diamond
Havent you ever purchased a Single before? It has the single than one or two B-sides.

I know, but technically it wouldn't be a single. Know what I'm saying?
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Why not record a few tracks and sell demo CDs at your shows, like any sensible group would do?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Buy a spindle of 100 CD-Rs for like $20, and a 500-pack of 4x6 unruled index cards for like $3.

1. Fold the index cards in half and tape them together (you can staple them but taping looks neater)
2. Slide the CD in- it fits perfectly (a little sticks out at the top, easy access I say).
3. Sell them at your shows for $3, even though each one only cost 23 cents to make.
4. Make $2.77 on each CD, sell them all and make $277.
5. PROFIT!!!!
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
i think what you wanna release is called an EP. and go for it if you think you can actually make a profit.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
Quote by blu_flame34
Buy a spindle of 100 CD-Rs for like $20, and a 500-pack of 4x6 unruled index cards for like $3.

1. Fold the index cards in half and tape them together (you can staple them but taping looks neater)
2. Slide the CD in- it fits perfectly (a little sticks out at the top, easy access I say).
3. Sell them at your shows for $3, even though each one only cost 23 cents to make.
5. PROFIT!!!!

I believe you missed the step between 4 and 5 that involves ??????.
Quote by blu_flame34

5. PROFIT!!!!

This
for example The song Hey Jude was the single if you bought it you also got Revolution as the Bside. It can have up to three songs and still be a single by industry standards.
Tiananmen Square Dance
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
I believe you missed the step between 4 and 5 that involves ??????.

Haha I almost did, but I was like wait. What I typed is already extremely self-explanatory...
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

*girl looks unimpressed*

It may help if you refer to it as your bands EP, and not a Demo.

While it may not make much sense to you as you read this, people who have no idea about you may not want to buy a 'demo' as that might give them the impression that the material will be rough sounding and unprepared.

It's just a stereotype.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
tbh, I have no clue how you could record and sell cheaply, but when you do release some music, you have to tell me your band name/album title/single's name so I can buy it!

Alway's happy to support people on the pit
Giving away for free would ruin the whole point of making money. And find someone with recording software if you don't have it, and become their best friend. There's a magazine that I can't remember what its called that comes with a CD that has software on it. It's a monthly thing. Or just find some free software. The difference between people liking your music and loving it (aside from talent) is how well it's recorded. That makes a huge difference.
Quote by CemetaryGates90
i think what you wanna release is called an EP. and go for it if you think you can actually make a profit.

nope, belive me I know what I am talking about. A Single is 1-3 songs, an EP is 4+ songs amounting under half an hour. an LP is anything over 30 mins
Tiananmen Square Dance
Why is everyone so serious about the classification? Record some songs and sell it. Who cares what it's called?
Quote by metacarpi

*girl looks unimpressed*

Quote by blu_flame34
Why is everyone so serious about the classification? Record some songs and sell it. Who cares what it's called?

What he said. Spam ftw.

Edit: Oh ****, you're a female. Profile views for you.
Last edited by \m/Angus\m/ at Mar 26, 2009,
Record an album or an e.p. and sell it at the shows.

If you want some easy casing here's what you do:

Make a stencil with your band logo on it.
You can make the actual casing out of cardboard.
You should be able to find small magnets that a the same shape as the inside of a cd hole, you can tape these to the case to hold it in.
Spray paint your logo on the outside.
Wrap them with black yarn, simply like a package.

Not only does this look really nice and professional, it's not that expensive to do, just time consuming.

If you guys record an album, charge ten dollars, it's reasonable enough.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
Quote by \m/Angus\m/

Edit: Oh ****, you're a female. Profile views for you.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

it dont make any sense to expect people to buy your CD's if your not big. I'm assuming your not big considering u need money to reccord.

try mowing lawns. $20 a lawn you'll have more than enough money in a week if u do it all day for a week.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.