Page 1 of 4
ok. now you can help pick the songs. there will be 5, except for the blurbs, which will have 3. a set of guidelines should be included as an intro. if you are interested in introducing a genre, you may do so, if you find a hole, post in the linked thread, not this one
a slap section is included at the end.
metal
1. EX-Scarified-Racer X (T)
2. MD-The Trooper- Iron Maiden
3. MD-Blood and Thunder-Mastadon
4. EZ-Pull The Plug- Death
5. EZ-Enter Sandman-Metallica

hard rock
1. EX-Welcome Home- Coheed and Cambria (S)
2. MD-Iron Man- Black Sabbath
3. MD-Hysteria-Muse
4. EZ-Bulls on Parade-Rage Against The Machine
5. EZ- Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana

classic rock
1. EX-Roundabout-Yes
2. MD-My Generation- The Who
3. MD-Sweet Child of Mine-Guns n' Roses
4. EZ-Money- Pink Floyd
5. EZ-Sunshine of Your Love-Cream

alt/prog rock
1. EX-YYZ-Rush
2. MD-Schism- Tool
3. MD-Suck My Kiss-Red Hot Chili Peppers
4. EZ-Southbound Pachyderm- Primus (F)
5. EZ-Would?-Alice In Chains

blues
1. EX-The Lemon Song- Led Zeppelin
2. MD-Red House- Jimi Hendrix
3. MD-Pride and Joy-Stevie Ray Vaughan
4. EZ-Born Under A Bad Sign- Albert King
5. EZ-Stormy Monday- T. Bone Walker

jazz
1. EX-Skitzo-Adam Nitti (H, F, T, S)
2. MD- Linus and Lucy- Stu Hamm (T, S)
3. MD- Mr PC- John Coltrane
4. EZ-So What- Miles Davis
5. EZ-Autumn Leaves- Joseph Kosma and Jacques Prévert

pop
1. EX- Obstacle 1- Interpol
2. MD-Misery Business-Paramore
3. MD-Murder on the Dancefloor-Sophie Ellis Bextor
4. EZ-Carousel-Blink 182
5. EZ-Dance Dance-Fall Out Boy

funk
1. EX- What is Hip- Tower of Power
2. MD- Space Cowboy- Jamiroquai (S)
3. MD-Sex Machine-James Brown
4. EZ-Brick House- The Commodores (can be played slap)
5. EZ-Good Times-Chic

______core
1. EX-Sequoia Throne -Protest The Hero (T, H)
2. medium
3. Blindfolds Aside- Protest The Hero (T)
4. EZ-Exs and Ohs- Atreyu
5. EZ-FCPREMIX- The Fall Of Troy

punk
1. EX-Maxwell Murder-Rancid
2. Quincintuple Your Money- The Lawrence Arms
3. MD-Armegeddon-Alkaline Trio
4. EZ-Guns of Brixton-The Clash
5. EZ-Blitzkrieg Bop- The Ramones

ska/reggae
1. MD-Come Original-311 (S)
2. EZ-Jammin-Bob Marley

country/folk
1. EZ-Jambalaya-Hank Williams
2. EZ- Folsom Prison Blues-Johnny Cash

slap songs
1. EX-Tommy the Cat- Primus, (S, T)
2. MD-Come Original-311 (S)
3. EZ-Fly Away-Lenny Kravitz, (S)
4. EZ-Higher Ground-Red Hot Chili Peppers, (S)

solo songs
1. EX-A Portrait of Tracy-Jaco Pastorius (H, F)
2. EX-Classical Thump- Victor Wooten (S)
3. EX-Concerto for Double Bass, Movement 1- Dragonatti (originally on upright containing arco, just sustain until you are rich)
4. MD-Scoop-Marcus Miller (S, F, H)
5. EZ-Happy Birthday- various artists

EX=Hard/Expert
MD=Medium
EZ=Easy
(T)-tapping
(S)-slap
(H)-harmonics
(F)-flamenco strumming (or other chord)
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Apr 2, 2009,
any suggestions?

or should I do this myself?

I can, but most of the sections won't be as good.

sorry for bumping, but I know I'm not gonna pull off metal at all on my own.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Here's my 2 cents

While it would be a considerable time and effort--try to get as much of the data from the previous thread inputed into the new one aka reorganization of stuff from the old thread. that was the real issue--it had grown so large and unwieldy that it lost its effectiveness.

The format seems fine to me. I would split each genre into a separate post and leave a blank post "reserved for future additions". That will give you some space to keep most of the songs on the first few posts.
Quote by anarkee
Here's my 2 cents

While it would be a considerable time and effort--try to get as much of the data from the previous thread inputed into the new one aka reorganization of stuff from the old thread. that was the real issue--it had grown so large and unwieldy that it lost its effectiveness.

The format seems fine to me. I would split each genre into a separate post and leave a blank post "reserved for future additions". That will give you some space to keep most of the songs on the first few posts.

well, that wasn't quite what I wanted... but ok.

one of my own problems with the last thread is included some very useless bits, for example, most people who listen to Fall Out Boy know Of All The Gin Joints in The World, but it never became a single, so most would be somewhat thrown off.

thank you, I will keep that in mind. I think the pop section should change also, instead of adding on stuff, it would be way more simple if we replaced stuff. the old list is just too overpowering.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Thunderbird660
Maybe Enter Sandman as an easy metal?
If you Classify it as metal, some do some dont, either way bass wise its pretty simple

it counts. what else is it? maybe hard rock. but who truly cares? it works.

I want an Iron Maiden, maybe a Slayer song on here, because they are popular metal groups, and admittedly, though I'm not much for the band, Harris is a Godly bass beater, but as I don't like them, I'm not sure which would be good.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by Thunderbird660
Yeah true, well glad i could help

know any Maiden or Slayer?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Not quite, i know bits and peices of riffs, thats about it
=/

I play a little of everything so im slowly learning alot, =P Bulls on Parade isnt all that hard either
Quote by Thunderbird660
Not quite, i know bits and peices of riffs, thats about it
=/

I play a little of everything so im slowly learning alot, =P Bulls on Parade isnt all that hard either

hmm. not sure what that counts as. I'll check Wiki and iTunes.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Autumn Leaves for easy jazz, definitely.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Chris_Parker
Autumn Leaves for easy jazz, definitely.

who did it originally?

or should I put various musicians? or what?

EDIT: nevermind, I got it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Some relatively hard metal songs can be:

Laid to Rest - Lamb of God
Hourglass - Lamb of God
Crystal mountain - Death (intermediate/borderline hard)
Blood and Thunder - Mastodon (intermediate)
Domination - Symphony X
Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden
The Trooper - Iron Maiden

That should start you off.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I need one easy metal song, fleajr. any ideas?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Bullet-Rule
Enter Sandman perhaps.

it's already there...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

What denotes some of the hard/medium/easy for the categories?

Armageddon by Alkaline Trio might be medium for punk, I'm not sure
(though the power tab is wrong, for quick reference)
(though it seems like this is being kept to very popular songs?)

Again, I'm not sure what is meant by punk/hardcore; if it is expanded to both of those forums together, then some of those "harder" metalcore type bands could fill higher spots on it (protest the hero, between the buried and me, etc.), but if it is more punk, then I'm not sure.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
well, it is being kept to the more mainstream music on purpose, as I find most beginners just don't listen to obscure Swedish indie groups or anything like that. as most experienced players don't make too many threads, I figure that if we post the more popular songs, that they already know, and that their friend is going to ask them to play, they will also feel better, feedback does inspire us, that is why people put songs on their profiles, join competitions like bass wars, and people like to listen to mainstream stuff. I'm trying to stick to the stuff that will make your neighbor stick his head out the window and say 'hell yeah!!!!!!' about. because you like it. you know you do.

and I think that is fine to have them together, but if you get support, I'll separate them.

EDIT:MAKE SURE that you tell me if there is anything like slapping or flamenco chords in your suggestion. I'm not going to check everything, I'll probably just scan through the top rated bass tab or a youtube video.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Royal Celebi
Hmm. Sequoia Throne -Protest The Hero would be hard for prog (could you call them prog?)

I just did.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I need one easy metal song, fleajr. any ideas?

Sorry for the late response, my internet pooped out on me last night.

For a few easy metal songs you could try some Amon Amarth. The only thing that's hard about it is that the speed sometimes pick up a little, and that you need a five string, but other than that they're not so bad. I suggest Cry of the Blackbirds or Runes to My Memory.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I posted some songs in the first thread, you could put them in
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by the humanity
it's already there...

Apologies, didn't check list properly, I was tired, sorry

EDIT: For easy metal, Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth is a good one.
signature
Last edited by Bullet-Rule at Mar 28, 2009,
ok, I'm good for easy metal.

now I need some jazz and r&b- Tam? you there? hi...

and a hard pop song.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
ok, I'm good for easy metal.

now I need some jazz and r&b- Tam? you there? hi...

and a hard pop song.

Murder on the dancefloor - intermediate

Ill try and think of one that is "hard"
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
Murder on the dancefloor - intermediate

Ill try and think of one that is "hard"

who did that, I can't think of it...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
who did that, I can't think of it...

Sophie Ellis Bextor

Guy Pratt played bass

For an easy punk song...

Guns of Brixton - The Clash
Quote by guitarhero_764

Last edited by ScottB. at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by anarkee
^I just learned the bass line to that after seeing it in bass guitar magazine.

I have the same copy
Quote by guitarhero_764

I should probably remove R&B, it is useless with pop, blues and funk genres.

EDIT: I just broke my own rule...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by Royal Celebi
Hmm. Sequoia Throne -Protest The Hero would be hard for prog (could you call them prog?)

Hm, I think there could be harder, like more so of that "Prog Metal" type deal
but yeah, the song needs Tapping and Harmonics next to it
(the early taps are pretty easy, but the later tap solo thing is tough. The harmonics solo is really easy, use TDL2's guitar pro, he's got it right.)

another bonus to add would be a synth pedal for the outro, but that isn't really a technique or anything.

Perhaps there should be a metalcore section, I'm not sure though, I'm not the boss.
Now say his name.....
I turned into one big _______core section, if anything I left in what is now punk should be in the core section, do inform me.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Hah, sorry for kind of having the first thread discussion in this thread. I'd say now to move Sequoia Throne to that (remember to add T and H). FCPREMIX by The Fall Of Troy can be an easy or medium song for that category (I'd need somebody else to help with the judgment on that, I think it is really easy) (ah, it actually fits the popularity thing kind of, with it being on Guitar Hero and all). I'd say a Between The Buried and me song for the expert in that section (not sure which, somebody else should look into it, I'm too subjective towards my own playing for most of this) ;; (n.b. Without the tapping solo part, Sequoia Throne is more medium than hard. I suggest judgment on it. (That tapping part is what makes it hard for most of us (kids in the PTH thread that play bass))). Sorry for the sloppy comment, but I'm glad you are doing this, the old one was a hodgepodge.
Now say his name.....
the old one was awful, killing it with fire would monoxide poisoned a troll, that's how bad it was.

you are helpful, really helpful. I despise metal and metalcore, and need help for those.

try to tell me beforehand if it's special in any way.

I'll put stuff in what you tell me now, if someone wants to contest where I put a song, they have my full permission to complain, within the websites confining rules on flaming.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by aguacateojos
R&B
Waterfalls - TLC (Intermediate/Hard)
Doo Wop (That Thing) - Lauryn Hill (Easy)

after I removed it :/

oi...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Couple things:
First off, fix that first post. Everything is just kind of crammed together, some of the sections aren't underlined...it's ugly. Second, only five songs per genre seems kind of scanty. I'm hoping you plan on expanding it. Finally, in my opinion, King Nothing by Metallica would be a much better easy song than Enter Sandman. Similar feel and tempo, but much more fun to play.
Quote by bassthunder
Couple things:
First off, fix that first post. Everything is just kind of crammed together, some of the sections aren't underlined...it's ugly. Second, only five songs per genre seems kind of scanty. I'm hoping you plan on expanding it. Finally, in my opinion, King Nothing by Metallica would be a much better easy song than Enter Sandman. Similar feel and tempo, but much more fun to play.

I agree on the first post being ugly. I suggest adding a return between each category, and maybe like making easy green, medium yellow, and hard red; just to make it look neater. The top of the list isn't bad, but the bottom gets very messy.

As to this post, not everybody knows that song. A big part of this thread (though hard to stay true to) is that they are more popular of songs (or of popular artists, their most popular songs to fit the things). (I'm not disagreeing with your choice as to difficulty, but just to the fact that people might not know it or even have an idea compared to Enter Sandman.)
Now say his name.....
Page 1 of 4