I subscribed to Recording Magazine for years, and it is a very credible magazine. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in getting going in recording.

At the same time, for those of us just getting into recording, we inevitably come across the Behringer brand name. From my experience over the years, there is a TON of unsubstantiated rhetoric about how crappy it all is. Almost invariably, it is someone spouting off something else they read somewhere, and not from first hand experience. The horrors of Behringer are endless.

My experience owning a few of their products has never been in line with all this rhetoric. So, it was with interest, when the people at Recording Magazine took a tour of the Behringer plant and reported back. Typical of their magazine, the report seems *very* impartial and balanced.

http://www.recordingmag.com/blogs/post/55.html

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i played a behringer wah and it actually was kinda cool. my buddy plays a fender head through a behringer cab. its pretty good actually.
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga
hmmm interesting Thanks for sharing.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Never played their lower end stuff, but I've used a friend's Behringer 450 watt head through the Behringer 8x10 and it's actually pretty awesome. I've also heard plenty of bands with Behringer PA monitors.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by axemanchris

At the same time, for those of us just getting into recording, we inevitably come across the Behringer brand name. From my experience over the years, there is a TON of unsubstantiated rhetoric about how crappy it all is. Almost invariably, it is someone spouting off something else they read somewhere, and not from first hand experience. The horrors of Behringer are endless.

My experience owning a few of their products has never been in line with all this rhetoric. So, it was with interest, when the people at Recording Magazine took a tour of the Behringer plant and reported back. Typical of their magazine, the report seems *very* impartial and balanced.

http://www.recordingmag.com/blogs/post/55.html

CT

Just to add, my experience with Behringer is that they make pretty mediocre (but pretty good for the price) stuff, at least when it comes to recording and PA gear. They do have some issues with reliability, but once again my experience is that it's mostly easy to fiz wiring problems (except for their guitar amps, which tend to have bigger problems that stem from the same sort of issue).

Interesting article, never heard of this mag before, I'll check it out, and maybe subscribe to this in addition to my Sound on Sound and EQ subscriptions.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Interesting perspective...

Personally, I don't like Behringer stuff. Yeah, it's cheap, and it doesn't sound half bad. The thing that really gets me is just how breakable all of their stuff is. I'm not sure about others, but I demand sort of a "built-like-a-tank" reliability to all my gear.

Cheers to all of you who like Behringer though.

Oh, by the way, nice to see you again Chris. I haven't seen you around since you stopped being a Singing Thread regular.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
My experience is, for the most part, you can't not only beat them, you can't touch them for the price. You really have to spend measurably more to get better quality, but most certainly, better quality can be had.

Just off the top of my head...

Mixer - UB2442FX-PRO - my main mixer for about four years now. About 80% of the tracks on our album (and in my profile) were done through this mixer. (though for lead vocals, and any other single-track overdub, I go through a tube pre that I have). The first one I bought had a channel die on me about a week out of the box. I brought it back to my retailer who gave me a replacement while mine was sent back to Behringer for repair (I had already filled out the warranty card). It came back fixed, and has been fine ever since.

Mixer - MX802A - little desktop mixer I started with.... used it for about five years before I grew out of it. Never a hitch. Decent enough that I bought another Behringer to replace it.

Headphone amp - Powerplay PRO-XL - main unit in my studio for giving musicians headphone mixes. Never a problem in the four years or so I have had it. Sounds fine enough, but you don't do any critical listening when you're just tracking.

Compressor - Composer PRO - never a hitch in the five years I've had it. Mind you, I never use it. It's mostly just for pretty lights right now. It works fine in that it compresses and limits. It's very transparent. It's just not as musical as some of the compressors I have in my software, and since I record to 24 bit, I really don't need to compress on the way in anymore.

Overhead mics - ECM8000's (x2) - Great little omnis for drum overheads or whatever. They work nice on accoustic guitar. I have heard allegations that they're noisy, but I have recorded proof to the contrary. All the drum overheads on our album were done with these. My biggest gripe is that there is practically no stereo imaging, really. The problem there isn't Behringer.... it's the fact that they are omni condensors.

V-AMP - 2 - The one purchase I didn't like. Actually, I did like it. And then, once when I was doing a gig at a place with dodgy power, it kept cutting out on me. The problem wasn't Behringer, it was the dodgy power at the venue. But... computers being what they are.... even if the power cut out for a tenth of a second, it caused the whole thing to re-boot, killing my entire signal for the 8-10 seconds it took for it to reboot. Argh!!!!

X-V-amp - Still have it, and still use it on occasion. All the solos on our album were done with either this or the V-Amp2. The X-Vamp has about 70% of the same sounds as the V-Amp2, but in exchange for the extra sounds, you get an expression pedal instead, which I use in the wah setting on occasion. It's a studio tool more than a live thing, though.

DI Box - DI120 - works totally fine. Pretty transparent, but like the compressor, just doesn't add anything musical. We used a Sans Amp for the bass on our album, which blew it away.... but at about 8x the price, it bloody well should.

So, overall.... reliability is really not an issue, nor is quality for the money. My next big purchase I think is going to be a Steinberg MR816 CSX which will totally blow away the Behringer mixer. Mind you, at nearly 4x the price, it bloody well better.

@Musical Minority - Thanks! I go through periods where I just get sick of the same things over and over again and need to get out of the singing forum. I'm mostly found here, and over at Bandleading and Musician Talk.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Last edited by axemanchris at Mar 26, 2009,
I owned one of their high end mixers, the 24 channel with a meter bridge. Never any problems with it. Ran it with a couple of power amps and a few speakers, did a couple outdoor shows that went great. I've also owned one of their lower end 4/5 channel mixers which I used to cut drum tracks on a 4 track cassette recorder. Not one issue.

The only items they produce that I really don't like are their line of guitar related products. I owned a bass cab by them, it was a piece of **** and the speaker was toasted in 4 months. Their guitar effects blow hard to, but thats just my personal opinion.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
I played in a band with a guy who ran a Marshall head into a Behringer 4x12 cab, and it sounded good.

CT

Instrument Buying and Selling question: How good is the Behringer cdp 2000-bk
... Reference topics. Browse: Unanswered questions | Most-recent questions ...
Some Behringer stuff is decent. Their stompboxes sound identical to the Boss ones they are cloned off of for the most part. I've had quite a few in the past, but they suck a lot of tone from your rig if you have a lot of effects. Currently the only piece of Behringer gear I have is a rack tuner for my bass rig...and its great.
Axemanchris, cheers for the post.

Have a look at this if you haven't seen it:

'The Behringer Factory Video Diary':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqUGLUJF7y4 (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LKnQl8gbkQ (Part 2)

Fascinating viewing actually. A tad cynical at times, but gives you a totally different perspective. The second part made me feel a fair bit happier about buying their gear, somehow.
Those were really well done. Thanks for the links.

(though it kinda made me think of Uli Behringer in the role of Willy Wonka.... )

CT

Good read Axemanchris.

I bought the Behringer V-amp 2 and am surprisingly pleased with the unit. However, most of that "surprise" is from reading the forums of people bashing them. It was either the v-amp 2 or the Line 6 pod. I went with the price factor. Personally, I think the Line 6 gear is on the other side of the spectrum. It's grossly over priced, over rated, and simply gets more money just for it's brand name. I am a hobbyist guitarist so I don't need that built like a rock equipment and the only Behringer gear I own, I think is solid enough for me. Cheers!
The only Behringer product i have is the FCB1010.. Midi foot controller... and its built like a tank. I should know cos i threw it into a wall after a gig... (drunk and was dared, and my yamaha rack unit went with it... also tank status seeing as it survived)

So yeah, no problems with it on my side. The V-amp never tickled me much cos i wasn't a fan of the pod line... their little two track mixer, bottom of the range was also good and reliable. Their rackmount units are very cool too... still haven't tried the valve racks but its still on my list.