I'm "tone-deaf" when singing (well, not completely...but I get off key easily), but not when playing instruments. Will singing in Rock Band actually improve my sense of pitch when singing?
Notice I'm not talking about the guitar part of it improving actual guitar skills

I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Y'know.. if you switch it to Expert...

you can really try working on getting perfect pitches through each song.

Then again... I don't know.
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
Quote by archangels666
Sort of, yes.

I mean, it is giving you pitches to match and then telling you how close you are.

But if you're playing on easy, then I can't see it helping all that much.

I can do most songs on hard, and a few on expert..I just got it today

Rock Band?

ROCK BAND???

Seriously it sounds like a legit idea

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by metalderek
*ahem*

All you need.

Haha, and I remember the 'shop thread of him...

Quote by metalderek
*ahem*

All you need.

Damnit! Beaten to it!
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Quote by aznmetalhead93
Playing piano improves your sense of pitch. It really does. I think.

Yeah, I play piano better than I play guitar. I can play songs by ear on instruments, but for some reason I have a hard time producing the right pitch from my mouth lol. I know what it sounds like in my head, I just don't have good control I guess..

Singing along with ANYTHING that's on key will help you improve your ability to sing... on key...

Doesn't matter if it's Rock Band or the radio or a cd or your iPod. Practice is what counts.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Singing along with ANYTHING that's on key will help you improve your ability to sing... on key...

Doesn't matter if it's Rock Band or the radio or a cd or your iPod. Practice is what counts.

As true as this is, there's still a huge difference between matching a pitch you hear (moderately difficult) and producing an in-tune pitch on your own (insanely difficult).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by archangels666
...And you claim you can't sing?

Are you dense?

I can't sing acapella, my tone is absolute crap, and I just all around can't listen to a song and sing it or even hum it later in the day...I do it in my head but people tell me it sounds bad when I sing out loud.

edit: basically what SteveHouse said

Quote by SteveHouse
As true as this is, there's still a huge difference between matching a pitch you hear (moderately difficult) and producing an in-tune pitch on your own (insanely difficult).

Yeah - it's the difference between singing with music/vocals and singing acapella. She's asking if singing with rock band will improve her ability to sing on key. Singing with any music and progressing closer to consistently hitting the notes and developing proper breathing, vibrato, mouth shaping, etc will always help you get closer to your goal of being on key consistently.

Singing with music is like singing with training wheels in prep for acapella. When you're good enough, you take the training wheels off.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Yeah - it's the difference between singing with music/vocals and singing acapella. She's asking if singing with rock band will improve her ability to sing on key. Singing with any music and progressing closer to consistently hitting the notes and developing proper breathing, vibrato, mouth shaping, etc will always help you get closer to your goal of being on key consistently.

Singing with music is like singing with training wheels in prep for acapella. When you're good enough, you take the training wheels off.

Thanks for using the correct pronoun And even though I know it's difficult to sing and play guitar at the same time, would doing so be a better option for me since my problem is pitch and the guitar would help with that? Or would it just be too complicated?

Rock Band actually sucks at matching real music to the controllers. 99% of the stuff in there is terribly mapped. Some songs, you don't even sing. You just say the words, which defeats the purpose of having a singer in the first place. I don't recommend it; get a vocal coach.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

GREATEST
PIC
OF
LIFE

you just won the thread. a round of applause is in order *fap fap fa......CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

TF2 Player?
Quote by Psalm 150:4
Thanks for using the correct pronoun And even though I know it's difficult to sing and play guitar at the same time, would doing so be a better option for me since my problem is pitch and the guitar would help with that? Or would it just be too complicated?

IMO that has less to do with pitch than getting the rhythm confangled. That's definitely a practice-it-a-lot thing.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

You can strum chords and it's not very complicated. Complexity at that level would be dictated by how quickly and how frequently you change chords, which is completely up to you.

But yeah - that's a good way. The best way I've found is just to start singing along with songs you like until you can tell how close you are to hitting and staying on the notes. Once you can discern that, you should be good to work without other vocal lines to follow and make your own melodies.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
It'll help to an extent, but being a good vocalist involves SOOOO much more than matching pitch.
Not to mention, that since it doesnt have any means to judge your timbre, you could develop some pretty crippling flaws in your technique. Especially in high and low registers.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by MusicalMinority
See the link in my sig.

We'll help you out.

If I were to...um...audacity my horrific sounds, could 'yall give me some pointers?

Edit: by audacity I mean use the program to record sound

Guitar could help with that, if you found a song where you could pick out certain notes on it to help you find the note you should be singing.
If I were to...um...audacity my horrific sounds, could 'yall give me some pointers?

Not unless any of us are vocal experts. All most of us can do is tell you what we personally do or don't like. If anyone is a vocal expert, carry on

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
Not unless any of us are vocal experts. All most of us can do is tell you what we personally do or don't like. If anyone is a vocal expert, carry on

Oh I'm definitely not good enough to be listened to by experts...just normal other people. It's hard to listen to yourself and tell what you're doing wrong, even if it is a recording...it just sounds weird.

Oh I'm definitely not good enough to be listened to by experts...just normal other people. It's hard to listen to yourself and tell what you're doing wrong, even if it is a recording...it just sounds weird.

100%. I laid down a vocal track just so I would know what I would eventually have there, and I had to replace it with a vox synth because I couldn't handle it

But yeah, if you upload something and make a thread in Original Recordings, you could probably get some advice.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
100%. I laid down a vocal track just so I would know what I would eventually have there, and I had to replace it with a vox synth because I couldn't handle it

But yeah, if you upload something and make a thread in Original Recordings, you could probably get some advice.

Ok thanks for the help Off to bed now, if my allergies/cold are better tomorrow, I'll post it then(teacher workday...yay!) or else later this weekend.

Thanks to everyone else who helped also

yeah, sure. I'm not an expert, but I could give you some tips that might help you out. Record some and message me, I'll give you my e mail.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you