I'm always on the hunt for an mp3 player with a larger storage, but seeing as the maximum storage available on the market is under 200 Gigs, i came up with an idea and i need some advice to see if it may work.

So i was wondering if i would be able to take say a terabyte external hard drive and wire it to be the storage of say an ipod or something.

Ipods have internal storage, don't they? So wouldn't it be the same thing if it was simply rewired to an external hard drive taped to the back of an ipod or something?

How would i do this?
Well how *you* would do that is completely out of the question. Whether or not it can actually be done (within reason) is another question. Unless you've got sensitive enough tools to manipulate wires less than a micron wide. iPods are very very very small.
well it doesn't have to be an ipod.
and seriously... i dont give a sh*t about the aesthetics of the thing. i just want to be able to put all my stuff on it.
Carry around a laptop with an external 1TB hard drive instead. Or you could just live with under 200GB while you aren't at the computer.
I don't know how well that would workout...
So get a 320gig Archos 7.
fixed.

80th best UGer
Last edited by mustangrobert13 at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by ShestShestShest
well it doesn't have to be an ipod.
and seriously... i dont give a sh*t about the aesthetics of the thing. i just want to be able to put all my stuff on it.

Well unless you listen to all of it in one go, there isn't really a point in doing that. I mean, just select certain songs each time you recharge it.

Actually it's impossible to listen to a terabyte of songs with the battery life of an iPod, so yeah.
you wouldnt. it would need a controller to handle the info going in an out of the drive, think of a computer. it needs a mobo to control hard drives but you can add more and it still recognizes it. ipods are built to be just what they are, they have no software to recognize external devices.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by glm #30
I CAN MAKE ANYTHING POSSIBLE.

where did glm #29 go? i miss that guy.

80th best UGer
Um, I've never seen an external hard drive of any size which you didn't have to plug in to a wall outlet.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

how in the world do you need more than 200 gigs of music with you? you will never, ever play through even half of that anywhere you go. why would you need to take more than that with you other than to say hey look at me i steal music and i dont actually listen to any of it. come on.
dont you have to have external power to those things, like an outlet?

God damn it SteveHouse you beat me too it.
Last edited by 7stringuzr at Mar 26, 2009,
The internal HDs in mp3 players are a lot smaller than computer sized HDs. So, no, it is not possible to do this all within the mp3 player casing.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by 7stringuzr
dont you have to have external power to those things, like an outlet?

I beat y----- beat you b------- beat you by----------- *hypnotized* These aren't the droids we're looking for.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

now how long would the battery last?
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
What about the MP3 players with SD Card storage? You could either get a fVckton of cards (label them by genre, how much you like them, etc.) or do they possibly have male USB to male SD connectors?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
What about the MP3 players with SD Card storage? You could either get a fVckton of cards (label them by genre, how much you like them, etc.) or do they possibly have male USB to male SD connectors?

If somebody finds that, and it's legit, I'll be shocked.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Jango22

that's sort of what i was thinking.
Quote by Jango22

Ew.
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9