hi,i might be building a tele at school havent decided yet

but if i do i like the look of beatin up telecasters

so how would i get this kind of finish
yes i know this is keith richards tele but and its missing the 6 string but i like the beatin up look on telecasters (and only telecasters)and was wondering is their an artificial way to do this after finishing the guitar should i sand it or something (i dont actually want to drop it or throw it around though)

I have a great plan drop it and throw it around!
Think about it, guitars don't beat themselves up....get a special effects expert to put fake bruises on it and such. It works for cinematography.
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
yeah, any old guitar has probably gotten used and beaten, i would say, walk into a door repeatedly, especially like the corner as if your turning around. also, hit the tip of the headstock on the ceiling repetedly

i do feel somewhat bad about having crap advice on this
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DANGERSTRANGER
so how would i get this kind of finish

Play it lots, that's why that guitar looks the way it does - I'm yet to see a DIY "relic" that looks like it's been worn by lots of use - in my opinion, you are just going to end up with a guitar that looks like it's been knocked around a lot.
I dunno, I've seen some fades that look quite authentic. Old pickups help a lot visually but it just won't have the soul of a true relic. Only time builds those.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
PLAY

YOUR DAMN

GUITAR.

jeez. There's no reason to go wailing a guitar around putting nicks and dents in it. Play it, don't wipe it down, and it will age itself.
------

Shwiggity.
throw firecrackers at it

i've heard theres a type of clearcoat that wears easier, idk if it ages quicker, but like bangs and scratches show easier
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
If your going to age/relic your guitar for a shop project, look at loads of photos for reference. Look at where the arms, hands, finger oil, body sweat, and pick makes contact with the rig or how the rig makes contact with it's environment. How the paint is worn from use and faded from light and environment exposure. Don't rush the proccedure, to make an aged worn guitar look convincing, besides playing the bejesus out of it, is an art. If your teacher can't tell the difference, then you did it right.
Good luck. Post some pics.
BLAZE ON!

2006 Epiphone '58 Korina V
2008 Aslin Dane Bohemian
Real Sound Mars Twin Tube Distortion/Overdrive
Crate dxj112 amp
Dunlop HighGain used as expression pedal
You ain't gonna get much from these threads other than "Play it for 20 years" "throw it around" "sandpaper", then you'll get the right answer (such as blazzingroach).

It's a time consuming job, it's actually harder than aging it naturally.
Any relic I've done I've thought about the backstory each piece can have gotten (it's even better when some of it is actually accidental, my long term strat relic has loads of them.)
But with regards to how you do it, it really doesn't matter as long as it looks good.
But make sure to plan it carefully.
search for the relic thread
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
One thing to keep in mind, the biggest problem with the Fender factory relics, is that it's too uniform. The entire finish is matte. Vintage guitars are still shiny in spots. Light rubbing in areas acts like buffing, so don't just make the whole guitar matte. It makes it look really fake.
Quote by deftonesordie
PLAY

YOUR DAMN

GUITAR.

jeez. There's no reason to go wailing a guitar around putting nicks and dents in it. Play it, don't wipe it down, and it will age itself.

Thank you. I don't get the whole relic scene. I think it is quite idiotic and way for fender to seem like they have came out with a new product in the last 35 years or so. Also I think Telecasters are sexy. It makes me sad to see you beat up something sexy.
Quote by end_citizen
Thank you. I don't get the whole relic scene. I think it is quite idiotic and way for fender to seem like they have came out with a new product in the last 35 years or so. Also I think Telecasters are sexy. It makes me sad to see you beat up something sexy.

Werd. I like my clean tele!

My **** isn't relic'd and I like it like that. If my guitars were all beat up I'd be sad.

play for three hours straight with a sharpened brass pick and sandpaper wrapped around your entire left and right arms.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
@Nims: IMO that relic looks really fake. The only really hard worked instrument I have seen in person (an 80s Tele used by a pub guitarist) looked absolutely nothing like that. There's way too much wear on the top horn, how would that even happen? And the wear on the headstock is unrealistic.

BTW, nice gears you have there
this is how you get it to look realistic

MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Take a small torch or a bar-b-q lighter and slowly heat up the clear coat to soften it, then rub it out with a clean rag...only do small areas at a time.

Practice on a different guitar at first to get the hang of the different effects you can create this way.
Quote by Roast Beef
@Nims: IMO that relic looks really fake. The only really hard worked instrument I have seen in person (an 80s Tele used by a pub guitarist) looked absolutely nothing like that. There's way too much wear on the top horn, how would that even happen? And the wear on the headstock is unrealistic.

BTW, nice gears you have there

Well, no offense... but you yourself admit that you've only seen one hard worked instrument. There are lots of different kinds of wear. There were some old tele's that had a tendency to lose finish everywhere. The one shown is actually extremely convincing...

But I do like to just wear gear out on my own.
You can't wear a new guitar naturally anymore. At least it won't look like the cool Eric Clapton relics.

The new modern finish materials are far too strong. You will get large chips that flake out instead of wear.

In order to get that worn down look you will have to strip all of the finish off, refinish it using the older style chemicals and then wear it down with sand paper, nails, and a buffing wheel.

Good luck
Quote by Nims
Well, no offense... but you yourself admit that you've only seen one hard worked instrument. There are lots of different kinds of wear. There were some old tele's that had a tendency to lose finish everywhere. The one shown is actually extremely convincing...

But I do like to just wear gear out on my own.

I've seen one in person, for a proper up close examination... I have also seen pictures of dozens on the internet, and that tele just does not convince me. There is flaking behind the nut for god's sake, how does that even happen? And beyond the last fret... the damage on this guitar makes no sense.
Quote by Roast Beef
I've seen one in person, for a proper up close examination... I have also seen pictures of dozens on the internet, and that tele just does not convince me. There is flaking behind the nut for god's sake, how does that even happen? And beyond the last fret... the damage on this guitar makes no sense.

agreed.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Roast Beef

This discussion is going nowhere. You've seen one in person... The relic was done by someone who has spent over 40 years collecting and restoring vintage guitars, and owns countless examples of actual natural relics. So while the wear may not look "natural" to you, I think you need to realize there are many different types of finish, many different types of wear over the years, and many different resulting aesthetics from said wear.

Think about it.

-J